Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Last min trip to Japan -- 3 days to plan!

Last min trip to Japan -- 3 days to plan!

Old May 23, 2016, 11:04 pm

When I plug in 5/26 in & 5/31 out (as a test example) for Tokyo on Rakuten/Jpn version, I get TONS of hotel availability from biz hotels to 5stars. What website are you searching on that only shows Pen, MO, Ritz and Park Hyatt as available? Did you search on lhw.com or something?
Old May 24, 2016, 4:43 am

Check out IACE travel. They do a great job and have a Chicago branch.

I completely agree with the prepaid sim card.

It does depend significantly on what kind of experience you want. If you want the young hip scene, stick to Tokyo or Osaka. If you want to experience some Japanese culture, Kyoto, Nara, and Hiroshima are great. 5-6 days would be about right if you were planning on going to Himeji, Nara, Kyoto, Osaka, Kurama and Hiroshima. However I am not sure if your ten days would be best spent consistently traveling and taking 1-2 hour trips. I think it would be pretty taxing getting around and you may not enjoy your Japanese experience as much. Also, these things would be much cheaper if you bought the railpass but not sure that's going to be possible for you given your timeframe. One way to get extensive amount of traveling in would be to use overnight busses, such as Willer express.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Wow, thank you everyone so much for all the information. There are many hotels in Tokyo available, I just don't know which to choose. We are very discerning, don't want crowds, and like the most luxurious. However, I'd rather be in a Soho type district, if that exists? Something with more mom and pop shops than next to a big department store. Also, all the luxury Ryokans in Kyoto are booked. I was able to find two nights at shiraume, but I worry that we won't find the accommodations suitable. Should we just book at the Ritz in Kyoto and spend one night at ryokan?
Old May 24, 2016, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
When I plug in 5/26 in & 5/31 out (as a test example) for Tokyo on Rakuten/Jpn version, I get TONS of hotel availability from biz hotels to 5stars. What website are you searching on that only shows Pen, MO, Ritz and Park Hyatt as available? Did you search on lhw.com or something?
Yes, there are tons available. I just don't know which to choose. Location is key, but so is the absolute nicest. Any recs are so appreciated.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Check out Ryokan Collection. I used them for my last trip and couldn't have been more pleased with the selection.
This site is great, but all require an email to send to the ryokans and there just isn't time to hear back (we leave in two days!). I'm trying japanican.com but such a difficult site to use. Thoughts?
Old May 24, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I wish I had more experience looking for luxury in Tokyo - I'm usually looking for "as cheap as I can tolerate". That said, a friend of mine that is definitely biased toward higher end places travels to Tokyo at least once or twice a year with his family, and has recommended the Azabujuban area the last couple of times I've been through, ascribing it the qualities that I think you're looking for. Grand Hyatt is not too far from there. This is all 2nd and 3rd hand, though. Everywhere in Tokyo is somewhat crowded.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by MarisaInChicago
Yes, there are tons available. I just don't know which to choose. Location is key, but so is the absolute nicest. Any recs are so appreciated.
What are the exact dates of your arrival at TYO and departure from TYO?
And roughly what time of the day?

Are you okay with 4 stars (eg, Hyatt Regency, IC, New Otani), or does it have to be 5 stars (eg, Park Hyatt, MO, Shangrila)?

If you're spending 10 nights, I presume you'll do like the first 6 nights in Tokyo, then the last 4 nights in Kyoto area, trek back to TYO and fly out on the final day.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:04 am

We are very discerning, don't want crowds, and like the most luxurious. However, I'd rather be in a Soho type district, if that exists? Something with more mom and pop shops than next to a big department store.
There are places like that. Azabu Juban (mentioned by angra), Shimokitazawa, Daikanyama, etc. But there will be lots of people everywhere. And I'm not sure that luxury hotels exist in those areas.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
What are the exact dates of your arrival at TYO and departure from TYO?
And roughly what time of the day?

Are you okay with 4 stars (eg, Hyatt Regency, IC, New Otani), or does it have to be 5 stars (eg, Park Hyatt, MO, Shangrila)?

If you're spending 10 nights, I presume you'll do like the first 6 nights in Tokyo, then the last 4 nights in Kyoto area, trek back to TYO and fly out on the final day.
Our travel days are this Thursday through June 5. We prefer five stars. Do you recommend the final night back to Tokyo so we don't have to travel from Kyoto to the Tokyo airport?

Of all the five-star hotels, which is in the best location, that's more boutique and not for the masses?
Old May 24, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I got the impression that OP is looking for a small intimate place with quality food, not looking for a restaurant which can handle seating for 50 people at once. My impression of mom and pop type place is small, nothing fancy, and food is average at best. I am getting the impression that OP is not looking for a place like this. Also, if OP wants to go to true mom and pop type place in Japan then do need to read and speak Japanese.

This is first trip to Japan for OP. Last minute trip, rushing to plan detail. Then if OP does not read or speak Japanese, then I recommend that OP to stick with places catering to foreigners (non-Japanese) such as Ritz. Same for choice of restaurants. You really do not have time to study each different place. If you try too creative and look for places little off the beaten track, then it is good chance you will end up with places not to your taste.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:39 am

Our travel days are this Thursday through June 5. We prefer five stars. Do you recommend the final night back to Tokyo so we don't have to travel from Kyoto to the Tokyo airport?

Of all the five-star hotels, which is in the best location, that's more boutique and not for the masses?
You mean you land Fri 5/26 into TYO, depart Sun 6/5 out of TYO. Is that correct?

For 5 nights, checking in on 5/26, I see:
Imperial Hotel (Premium Tower Flr twin) 248k + tax
Prince Sakura Tower (deluxe corner king) 168k + tax

These are via Rakuten website. Prices are in yen, total for 5 nights. They're more like 4.5 stars than 5 stars. They're not quite on the level of MO or Peninsula, but they're considered elite hotels. Imperial is within walking distance to a lot of places, whereas Sakura Tower is within walking distance to Shinagawa Station which is a big transportation hub. Sakura Towers sits on Japanese garden that it shares with its sister properties.

Not sure what your definition of boutique hotel is. But if you'd consider Andaz to be a boutique hotel, then Sakura Tower may sort of fit the bill.

As long as your departure out of TYO is mid-afternoon or later, I would recommend spending the last night also in Kyoto and traveling back to TYO via train the same day instead of having to spend the last single night somewhere back in Tokyo. If you left Kyoto by bullet train at 10am, you'd get to NRT by 2pm.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:22 pm

You may have made reservations already but for future hits via google there are a few threads on luxury hotels in Tokyo and Japan

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...thread-51.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...els-japan.html
Old May 24, 2016, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Do you recommend the final night back to Tokyo so we don't have to travel from Kyoto to the Tokyo airport?
NO. Waste of a transfer and schlep to a hotel for one night. Shinkansen from Kyoto to NRT with a change to the NEX at Shinagawa is the way to go. Relax and enjoy a last night in Kyoto.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Wow, thank you everyone so much for all the information. There are many hotels in Tokyo available, I just don't know which to choose. We are very discerning, don't want crowds, and like the most luxurious.
That might be hard in Tokyo, with such a short notice. Tokyo as a whole is crowded and gets downright claustrophobic in a few places I visited. I do hope that you were able to get JR passes. Those will let you into the reserved cars free of charge and are less crowded than the non-reserved.

I'll echo what AlwaysAisle said, if you want to a true a mom and pop place, you'll have to read/speak Japanese. I've visited these type of places but only through my Japanese friends or local guides. Play it safe this time and ask for recommendations from your concierge.

If you do end up going again to Japan and have more time to plan, I suggest contacting The Art of Travel. They specialize in bespoke travel and appear to have trips suited to your preferences.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone! A few more questions:
1. Bot SHIRAUME and Tawaraya Ryokans have availability. Should we attempt one or simply stay at hotel in Kyoto?
2. Ritz Kyoto is very pricey, strangely so. More than Aman Tokyo. Will the Hyatt suffice? 3. We have Friday to the following Sunday. Should we stick with just Tokyo and Kyoto, or add in Osaka? How many days in each?

Thank you to everyone again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.