Wiki Posts
Search

Final day/night advice: Osaka or Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; US silver
Final day/night advice: Osaka or Kyoto

The only unplanned day I have for my 17 day trip is the final one, will be going to Tokyo, Mt Fuji area, Matsumoto, Noto Peninsula,Kanazawa and Kyoto. I have an early 7:50am) flight out of ITM after spending 4 nights in Kyoto. at first, I thought I'd spend the last full day in Kyoto and go to an airport hotel but they seem very unappealing. Then I thought maybe getting to Osaka in the afternoon, finding a nice hotel and doing some sightseeing/good eating in Osaka, an easy taxi ride to the airport in the morning (I don't want to leave in the morning from Kyoto, too early for all those connections).

I'd like some feedback on this idea and wonder if Umeda area makes sense for walking around for a few hours in the late afternoon and evening. Trip begins in a few days, thanks for the help
Old May 5, 2016, 2:05 am

Programs: Delta
Umeda or Nanba area would be great. Nanba is more exciting at night, but Umeda area also has plenty to do. You could catch an airport bus from Nanba in the morning.
http://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/timetable/itm/f_nmb.html

ITM is small and convenient. Check-in about 1 hour ahead should be no problem.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:02 am

Agree, can't go wrong with either Nanba or Umeda. Umeda area has more luxury hotel options, but the Swisshotel in Nanba is nice. If you do decide to take the cab, it may be a bit cheaper from Umeda.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:32 pm

Yep, Umeda is a good option. You can easily kill a few hours there. As the others mentioned, Namba is also a good option. Each area has a different feel. For food, I might lean a little more toward Namba.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by FromDC
I have an early 7:50am) flight out of ITM after spending 4 nights in Kyoto. at first, I thought I'd spend the last full day in Kyoto and go to an airport hotel but they seem very unappealing. Then I thought maybe getting to Osaka in the afternoon, finding a nice hotel and doing some sightseeing/good eating in Osaka, an easy taxi ride to the airport in the morning (I don't want to leave in the morning from Kyoto, too early for all those connections).
The Hilton Umeda has the airport bus stop to ITM at its door and there is a very frequent service. The hotel is very well placed for nearby metro stations and it is only three or four stops down to Shinsaibashi or Dotonbori where there is superb eating.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; US silver
We're not really big nightlife people so maybe Umeda would be a better choice for us.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by FromDC
We're not really big nightlife people so maybe Umeda would be a better choice for us.
Depends on what you consider "nightlife". I'm not a big nightlife person either (clubs and such). But namba/dotonbori/sennichimae has some good food. =)
Old May 6, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by pdxkankuu
Depends on what you consider "nightlife". I'm not a big nightlife person either (clubs and such). But namba/dotonbori/sennichimae has some good food. =)
Also, just walking around the general Nanba area is fun. On the other hand, Nanba back up to Umeda is only a few minutes by subway, so very possible to go to Nanba area for dinner and then back to Umeda hotel after that.

In your original post you mentioned coming to Osaka in the afternoon or so. Here's an idea. Get a hotel in Umeda. After checking in, go to Shinsaibashi station, then walk from Shinsaibashi through the shopping street toward Nanba area and eat around there. After dinner and maybe more strolling, catch the subway back to Umeda, it's only 4 stops.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
My vote goes for Dotonbori and enjoy Osaka’s B-Kyu Gourmet (B級グルメ). FTers have to throw away Michelin Guide and enjoy true Japanese middle class food!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.