Community
Wiki Posts
Search

itin help and hotel questions (points)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

itin help and hotel questions (points)

looking to go to Japan next spring. Dates are set due to schedules. We are flying from IAD and will use ANA points. We are trying to stay in hotels where we can stay for free, so it is either Hyatt or SPG (fair amount of points) and Hilton (80k, so maybe only one night if I'm lucky)

My questions are:

1) We have 14 days, including the day we leave Washington, DC (day 1) and the day we return (day 14). How should we break it up? I know we want to go to Tokyo and Kyoto. Most trips seem to also stay at Hakone.

2) Stay in Kyoto and not Osaka right?

3) Can Hiroshima be done reasonably from Kyoto as a day trip? I'm sure it's better to stay there for one night though...

4) Flight questions:

Flights getting to Japan are ok at this point.

Flying home, we would have to split up 3 and 3 and I see where we can do that with one group flying out on the last day (14) with one group going from KIX leaving at 13:40 and connecting home and one group going from Osaka (Itami) at 7:50.

Wouldn't the group leaving Itami at 7:50 be so much better of staying somewhere near that airport on the last night? The group leaving out of KIX would have more flexibility I think.

5) hotel questions:

Will hotels let us stay with 2 adults and either a 13 or 15 year old girl in the room? As I said before, we are probably going to either Hyatt or SPG properties. Having a kid in King bed is an option, but a rollaway bed would obviously better.

6) how would you lay trip out?

Thanks so much!!!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Can give quick answer about hotels, especially HHonors points for Hilton…

Hilton has properties at Tokyo (Shinjuku and Odaiba, also Conrad at Shiodome), Osaka, and Hakone. But no properties at Kyoto. Hakone Hilton is a nice property as itself, but located really away from typical tourist area of Hakone. People touring around typical tourist Hakone area usually do not stay at Hilton Hakone.

As for two adults plus 13 or 15 years old in a room, it all depends on hotel policy and room type you reserve. Sometime maximum occupancy of a room is determined by local fire code, a hotel has no control over. You have to check this with each hotel about this.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the prompt response. We have so few Hilton points, that I'd probably only be able to use them for a one room, one night stay at an airport if I was lucky
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
1) Can't answer for you, but half in each side + or - based on your interests is a decent place to start initial planning. I would recommend laying out an initial plan based on half in each location (don't forget daytrips) and adjust from there based on your family's needs/wants

2) Depends - either can work. Osaka is slightly more convenient for excursions outside the area. Kyoto has more "traditional"/history stuff to see in the city. Osaka is a more urban. You can stay in either one and have a good trip. It's about 20 minutes between them by train

3) It definitely can. Don't overlook Miyajima which is right next to Hiroshima and one of the nicest places in Japan. I'd plan for a long day, with a short visit to Peace Park, and a long visit to Miyajima, but, again...depends heavily on your family's preferences. If you really enjoy important human history and can stomach the hugely negative emotions that Peace Park can evoke, you might spend longer there.

4) I don't know Itami well, but your logic seems sound. There is good transit to KIX

5) I have no idea

6) See above....
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Would you do better to stay in Hiroshima and visit there and Miyajima from a Hiroshima base or do it the other way and stay in Miyajima and visit there and Hiroshima?

Originally Posted by angra
1) Can't answer for you, but half in each side + or - based on your interests is a decent place to start initial planning. I would recommend laying out an initial plan based on half in each location (don't forget daytrips) and adjust from there based on your family's needs/wants

2) Depends - either can work. Osaka is slightly more convenient for excursions outside the area. Kyoto has more "traditional"/history stuff to see in the city. Osaka is a more urban. You can stay in either one and have a good trip. It's about 20 minutes between them by train

3) It definitely can. Don't overlook Miyajima which is right next to Hiroshima and one of the nicest places in Japan. I'd plan for a long day, with a short visit to Peace Park, and a long visit to Miyajima, but, again...depends heavily on your family's preferences. If you really enjoy important human history and can stomach the hugely negative emotions that Peace Park can evoke, you might spend longer there.

4) I don't know Itami well, but your logic seems sound. There is good transit to KIX

5) I have no idea

6) See above....
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:40 pm

If it was me and I had to stay in the area, I'd try to stay on Miyajima. But, it's almost certainly more expensive, and I doubt that there's anywhere to use your points there.

It's a short ferry ride across the bay.

But, really, a day trip from Osaka/Kyoto is quite manageable. Probably easier than moving 6 (did I read that right?) people.

One other thing I forgot to mention - will anyone in your group have to work the day after you get back? If it's critical for anyone to be fresh and alert the next day, you might consider coming back a day early.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it is six people. Me/wife/2 kids/2inlaws.

My older daughter has to get home and the next day she will sit on a bus from Baltimore to New York for choir rehearsal. As to work, non of us are operating on anyone and we're the boss. So it should be ok. Our other daughter will suck it up in school.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
ITM is very close to Osaka city center. There is a mid-size hotel right at terminal building of ITM, it is independent hotel not affiliated with a chain hotel, nothing fancy with small room typical of Japanese business hotel. There are few other hotels right near ITM, although none are affiliated with Hyatt, Starwood, nor Hilton. However, because ITM is close to city center most people do stay in the city.

As for staying at Hiroshima vs. Miyajima. Hiroshima has Sheraton, where Miyajima has no hotels affiliated with Hyatt, Starwood, or Hilton. Also, at Hiroshima there will be places to hang around after dinner. Miyajima is a nice place which highly recommended if you happen to be at Hiroshima, but after dark there really not much place to hang around beside the hotel you are staying.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

I'm thinking that Hiroshima will be the place to stay and we'd try to visit Miyajima for sure. As to doing it as a day trip, I'm not sure. It is a lot of schlepping to go back and forth on the train for the day, but that might still be better than switching hotels.

My mother in law read that people like to visit Itsukushima Shrine at both low and high tides and that made us think that it's be worthwhile to stay over in one of the two places....
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
My mother in law read that people like to visit Itsukushima Shrine at both low and high tides and that made us think that it's be worthwhile to stay over in one of the two places....
It is nice to stroll around after day trippers leave and before they arrive if you like the feeling of escaping the hustle and bustle. Kids might prefer something else with more action, though. There are a few ryokans on Miyajima which might be a bit different from staying in more western chains. They'll lend yukatas so you can have a stroll dressed up if desired and those who want to visit an onsen can do so.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:15 pm

If you have a family member that wants extended time or overnight in/near Miyajima, and especially if your family has an interest in trying out the Ryokan experience, and if the cost doesn't dissuade you, then staying at a Ryokan on Miyajima could be really nice.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
It is a lot of schlepping to go back and forth on the train for the day, but that might still be better than switching hotels.
Although there are few hotels at Miyajima, most tourists visiting Miyajima do it as a day trip. I understand about going back and forth, but from Hiroshima to Miyajima route is:

Hiroshima – Miyajima Guchi (JR train): 28 min. on local train
Miyajima Guchi – Miyajima (JR ferry): 10 min.

I understand you may be traveling with elderly, but do not think it is that much of train ride going back and forth between Hiroshima and Miyajima. Also, lodging at Miyajima are pretty average, nothing bad but same time nothing to write home about. Some of lodging at Miyajima does rent out a room during day time, can be useful traveling with elderly to have a place to rest during day time. I agree that if you plan to stay at Miyajima then have to carry all your stuff when heading to Miyajima, as a day trip can travel to Miyajima lite where do not have to carry stuff around with you.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

They're not elderly in the sense that they walk very slowly or need canes/walkers or anything like that, but thought it was important to put in the context of the group. They have traveled extensively.

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think
itm is the closest to kyoto. there is a very nice hotel inside the itm terminal. there are buses from kix & itm to kyoto. there is a connecting ana flight from nrt toITM. it is almost all steerage(but only one hour). spg has bus service from the kyoto train station to the weston.

there is also bus service from nrt to many tyo hotels(including sheraton)

the sheraton and the weston in both places have excellent concierge services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.