Hanami/sakura in Hokkaido-Aomori

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold

I will be in Japan around the start of next month, and the family wants to see cherry blossoms. Judging by the forecasts, we will have to make our way to either Hirosaki/Aomori, Hakodate, Kakunodate, or Sapporo. (During Golden Week, no less.)

Any tips on which city to choose? During this time of year, it doesn't seem like one of these cities is particularly exceptional for a tourist relative to the rest. My gut tells me that visiting Sapporo might prove to be less of a contact sport, what with flights from LCCs and Western hotels (rather shabby looking ones I might add).

Anybody ever had a late hanami that knocked their socks off? Where had we ought to go?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
First week of May coincides with peak blossoms for other flowers, if you're willing to take advantage of the timing to see what is spectacular vs chasing the famed cherry blossoms.

Nemophila at the Hitachi Seaside Park http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/0...-seaside-park/
Wisteria at Ashikaga Flower Park http://www.ashikaga.co.jp/fujinohana...5_english.html
Moss Phlox at Fujikawaguchiko http://www.shibazakura.jp/eng/
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: JGC Premier (OWE)
Hirosaki park during cherry blossom season is spectacular (even more so than Kakunodate), but I wouldn't recommend either Akita or Aomori prefecture this year if you are planning a trip during Golden Week, as even in Aomori, current projections say full bloom should occur around April 21. Golden Week is probably too late already. In addition, the tenshu of Hirosaki castle has been temporarily moved away from its usual location and there is some construction going on.

Never been to Hakodate myself but I have heard great things about it (re how it is on par with Nagasaki in terms of interesting history and cosmopolitan influences), and actually have a trip planned for early May. Nearby Matsumae is apparently a very nice cherry blossom spot. But again, Golden Week might be a bit late already (full bloom projected on April 28).

So if cherry blossoms are the main purpose of your side trip, Sapporo might indeed be the best bet in terms of timing. I actually enjoy that city as well, but it may not be the most interesting one from a Western tourist's perspective.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
I should have specified that we are quite flexible on the dates (+/- a week). Thank you for all the interesting suggestions! Will have to report back as to where we end up.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
We are in Hirosaki now.Cherry blossoms were early and peaked the last 3 days.Windy today so a lot of blossom fall.The festival though is continuing until 5/5.
There is a road(highway 3)near Mt.Iwate with 20 kilometres of cherry trees which are said to be at 50% now.Best way to get there though by car and if you want to rent one you need the International Drivers Permit as well as your licence and passport.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: QFF
I'll be in Sapporo from the 6th May, was hoping for the cherry blossoms to still be around but it looks like I may have to trek to Asahikawa or even further north to experience them.

Scott.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by dino84
I'll be in Sapporo from the 6th May, was hoping for the cherry blossoms to still be around but it looks like I may have to trek to Asahikawa or even further north to experience them.
This is a Jpnese webpage, but you should be able to comprehend the map which shows the date for the start of bloom.

http://sakura.weathermap.jp/

As of now, the same webpage states that the peak bloom in Asahikawa is 5/5. Wakkanai 5/16. Sapporo 4/30. Kushiro 5/15. Abashiri 5/13.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I was thinking of suggesting a short trip to Otaru for dino if the blooms are too far gone in Sapporo. It's a short train ride from Sapporo and a lovely town. It felt considerably colder than Sapporo to me when I visited in February but the could have been the wind .

Am I right in reading this page that Otaru should be behind Sapporo by a few days to a week?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:19 pm

Otaru and Sapporo are pretty much right next to each other. So my guess is the cherry blossom timing will not be all that different. The map implies that, as well.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The train ride over to Asahikawa is only an hour and a half.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:36 pm

I would go back and check for status update a few days before you go. I'm sure these dates can change quite frequently depending on the weather pattern and such. If you're not sure what you're reading, then post back here and one of us regulars who read Japnese can help you.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by evergrn
I would go back and check for status update a few days before you go. I'm sure these dates can change quite frequently depending on the weather pattern and such. If you're not sure what you're reading, then post back here and one of us regulars who read Japnese can help you.
Thanks for the link, I did find the website a while back but forgot to save it so you've saved me a bit of searching. Google translate seems to give me enough to work with. I've set a full day aside for the 7th for my sakura search which should allow me to travel further north if Asahikawa isn't working for me.

Scott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.