Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Japan Customs & Immigation Discussion (was Extremely long wait times...)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Japan Customs & Immigation Discussion (was Extremely long wait times...)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
How long does it take to clear immigration and passport control flying out of NRT? Just wondering how much time to account for my trip from Shinjuku to AA gates @NRT.
The time has a lot to do with when you are flying.
This is my experience at T1: Up to about mid afternoon, things aren't too bad and the average traveler without any special privilege will need 20-30 min or so to get through and to your gate.
But after say 3pm, lines in immigration can grow very quickly and before you know it you need a good hour to get through and walk to your gate.

That is before you consider additional time if you are flying during a peak travel period.

I have seen times in the afternoon where people needed an hour in line through outbound immigration alone.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Akihabara
The time has a lot to do with when you are flying.
This is my experience at T1: Up to about mid afternoon, things aren't too bad and the average traveler without any special privilege will need 20-30 min or so to get through and to your gate.
But after say 3pm, lines in immigration can grow very quickly and before you know it you need a good hour to get through and walk to your gate.

That is before you consider additional time if you are flying during a peak travel period.

I have seen times in the afternoon where people needed an hour in line through outbound immigration alone.
Exit immigration is that bad, too?! I usually fly out late afternoon. I don't think I've ever waited more than 20min for disembark procedure. I last flew out of NRT on a peak travel day (3 Jan) when Skyliner was packed and the check-in counter lines were crazy. But on that day, there was actually no wait at exit immigration. What has changed over the last few months?

On another note, I have a 2-hr int'l to domestic connection at NRT late afternoon (both T1, same tix) in 2months. Never imagined I'd be worrying about missing that connection until now.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:16 pm

Hi evergrn, yes, I have seen it many times very bad out of T1 - but I should qualify further that many of my experiences were on a weekend so that might be the difference (I typically fly out on a Sunday but not always).
I've been through many times feeling so thankful for my registration for the automated gates.
I've seen some graph somewhere that shows the volumes through immigration at Narita for each hour and it really ratchets up after 3pm.. but for the life of me I can no longer find that link.
Regards
Old May 1, 2016, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
... when Skyliner was packed and the check-in counter lines were crazy..
I've also experience this anomaly of the transportation and check in being crazy but after that it was smooth sailing.... and.. the reverse also being true.
Old May 1, 2016, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Akihabara
Hi evergrn, yes, I have seen it many times very bad out of T1 - but I should qualify further that many of my experiences were on a weekend so that might be the difference (I typically fly out on a Sunday but not always).
Me too, I fly out on various days but probably Sundays more so than any other days, almost always from T1. Mind you, I only fly in/out of TYO few times a year, but I've been doing this for decades and I don't remember it ever being as bad as you describe. 20min wait at the exit immigration would be about the worst-case as far as I can remember. So something must've changed in the last few months for both arrival and departure immigration.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
How long does it take to clear immigration and passport control flying out of NRT? Just wondering how much time to account for my trip from Shinjuku to AA gates @NRT.
AA will be T2, when I flew out of NRT on AA two Sundays ago, there were no lines for check-in or security/immigration. The walk from the security check-point to my AA gate took longer than the entire security and immigration process. This was around 2-3pm.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Haven't been to NRT in the last 4 months, but will be back in a couple months. Can't even imagine a line 60min+ there. Does that mean the line goes way out to near the health inspection/quarantine?
I'm in and out 4 times per month - yes sometimes it can get past the temperature monitor lol - as far as I can tell it's due to the massive increase in Tourists to japan - primarily Chinese - as the domestic lines are always empty...
Old May 3, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Nexus
Lines were also quite long at KIX on Apr 13 around 7 PM (~45 min). No wait for customs.
But the exit controls were a breeze on Sunday at NRT T1, security and exit immigration took 10 minutes (just before 4 PM).
Old May 3, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL DM / GE / APEC
I flew into T1 @NRT Tue. 4/26 afternoon, departed Sun 5/2 Afternoon. Both into/exit the lines were extremely short, <10 min on both sides (wish I could say the same for JFK). So hopefully an improvement.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:14 pm

My 2 yen:

Flew into NRT Sunday 4/10 around 15:30ish, line was backed up past the temp monitor, all the way to the escalators. About 1 hour to get through.

Flew out Wed 4/27 around 17:00ish, exit immigration was maybe around 15 minutes.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by pdxkankuu
Flew into NRT Sunday 4/10 around 15:30ish, line was backed up past the temp monitor, all the way to the escalators. About 1 hour to get through.
That's crazy. I'm surprised you got through in an hour.

I wonder if the queue has gone up the stairs. Probably what would happen then is they would have staff direct traffic at the top of escalator and have people line up at the top of escalator and direct people to head down the escalators one by one as space opens up downstairs.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:38 pm

That's crazy. I'm surprised you got through in an hour.

I wonder if the queue has gone up the stairs. Probably what would happen then is they would have staff direct traffic at the top of escalator and have people line up at the top of escalator and direct people to head down the escalators one by one as space opens up downstairs.
I'm surprised, too, but when I got finished I sent a message to a friend of mine; I scrolled through to find the message again, and had told her it was about an hour.

To be fair, as packed as it was, there *were* quite a few windows open, and they seemed to be getting people through fairly quickly. It was the longest line I've ever seen there, and relative to the size, was probably the "quickest" I've seen it move.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, SPG, Marriott, IHG, ANA, Luftansa
Golden Week

Hi- I believe that the reason for the wait times are due to Golden Week. The beginning of May has many holidays for the Japanese and most families are taking vacations at this time. Hopefully, it will clear up buy the end of this week
Old May 5, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
NRT 25/April - plane door at 9:25 am and catching the 9:48 N'Ex (exactly 23 minutes) incl. immigration, customs, visiting an ATM, a SIM-vending machine, JR office redeeming JR pass and booking shinkansen seats.

As for immigration, I walked up straight to the agent, no-one in front
Old May 5, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
May 5th update - Departure from NRT was super fast. Took less than 10mins to clear immigration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.