Wiki Posts
Search

2000 Yen notes (using them in Japan)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:30 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

2000 Yen notes (using them in Japan)

Will I have any challenges using these notes during my trip to Japan in April?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I like the 2K yen notes. They take up less wallet space and are often less used so less dirty. Most I have gotten seemed to be new bills.

The only place I had it questioned was at the Nara Visitor Center years ago by a volunteer who hadn't ever seen one before (?). She went to ask her supervisor and then accepted it without further question, commenting that they are "very rare." I suspect they are like a US $2.00 note, legal tender but rarely seen. Every other time there was never even a doubt.

Short answer - no, no problems with the possible exception of some teen-aged part-timer at a convenience store who has never seen one.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Feb 15, 2016 at 11:49 am
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I have not seen 2000 yen note for long time. When 2000 yen note was first circulated in year 2000, yes, I think it was deliberate to introduce 2000 yen note on year 2000, anyway, I saw some back then due to curiosity factor.

However, today I have not come across any. The popularity of 2000 yen notes dropped fast (some say it was never popular to begin with) and year 2003 or 2005 was last time 2000 yen note was printed. I read somewhere that Bank of Japan has 2000 yen notes stored in a warehouse and even the government is not actively circulating 2000 yen notes any more.

I will not be surprised that some young kids today have never seen 2000 yen notes. Vending machine manufactures in Japan is still making machines to accept 2000 yen notes, but most machines today will not spit of 2000 yen notes as change. Most ATM machines in Japan today will dispense 1000, 5000, and 10000 yen notes but not 2000 yen notes.

Just wondering, today unless you go to a bank and specifically ask for 2000 yen notes I think it is highly unlikely that you will come across 2000 yen notes (think it is like U.S. $2 bill). How did you come about in getting 2000 yen notes? Did you acquire 2000 yen notes from your travel to Japan more than 10 years ago?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:20 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

2000 Yen Notes

Ordered some "walking around money" for my trip to Japan. 15 of these notes was included in the package of 36000 Yen. Travelex Currency Services Inc. Louisville, KY
Will any vending machines accept these notes?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Could be that Travelex is trying to get rid of 2000 yen notes.

Most vending machines in Japan still do accept 2000 yen notes. If a machine does not accept 2000 yen notes, then there is a sign but it is in Japanese posted such as 「2千円札は使えません。」. One specific example I know is fare/ticket machines for Sapporo subway do not accept 2000 yen notes.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I got them in a package of "mixed denomination" bills when I bought cash from my bank before leaving for Japan also. I think American banks probably got a stock of the bills years ago and have been trying to get rid of them ever since.

Although the exchange rate has changed the math, I just think of the various bills as 1k = $10.00, 2k = $20.00, 5k = $50.00 and 10k = $100.00. Back a few years ago, when the rate was close to 100 to 1, this worked pretty well. Now they are worth a little more but the "feeling" is about the same.

Some older vending machines may not accept the bills but most newer ones will. I generally try to use the 2k bills whenever I can and save some 1k and 5k bills for those times the 2k may be problematic. Carrying cash in Japan is not a problem as it might be in many US cities. I am one who prefers to avoid routine credit card use except for large purchases like hotels so always have a fair amount of cash on me.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:37 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I got them in a package of "mixed denomination" bills when I bought cash from my bank before leaving for Japan also.
The same here from a currency exchange at LHR many years ago. I don't think foreign currency exchanges/banks realise how widely 10,000 yen notes are used in Japan. After all I hardly ever see Ł50 notes in the UK. I was given a mixture of 5,000 yen, 2,000 yen and 1,000 yen notes.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:11 pm

I saw and used a 2,000 yen note last year on my trip. Wasn't an issue, the person on the other end took it without blinking.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
After all I hardly ever see Ł50 notes in the UK.
Get a monkey from a cashpoint in the square mile
They spit fifties like they're going out of style ...

[Should've been a rapper, maybe]
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:42 pm

2,000 yen notes are actually pretty common (and popular) in Okinawa, and this is a pretty well known fact in Japan. (The art on them is a tribute to Okinawa.) So someone might be a little surprised to get one on the mainland at this point, but they'd probably just figure you'd been to Okinawa. They are well circulated there, including by banks. Consequently, they're not unheard of all over Japan.

I don't think they're quite the level of rarity as a US $2 bill. Maybe more like a US Sacagawea dollar coin, which are also very regional.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I am one who prefers to avoid routine credit card use
Whattt ... ?!? An FT'er who avoids credit card mileage accruals?

4 trips to Japan and I never even knew til now that there's a 2k note.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:29 am

I'm Japanese and I've completely forgotten about such thing as 2000y bill
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jib71
Get a monkey from a cashpoint in the square mile
They spit fifties like they're going out of style ...
I regularly use an ATM frequented by students and it always spits out at least a couple of Ł5 notes.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I get 2k yen notes ALL the time when transiting EWR on the way back to Japan - I've NEVER had a single issue in the last 6 years using them. Most taxi drivers do a double take because yes they are rare - but I quite like them as they do save wallet space...
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I get 2k yen notes ALL the time when transiting EWR on the way back to Japan - I've NEVER had a single issue in the last 6 years using them. Most taxi drivers do a double take because yes they are rare - but I quite like them as they do save wallet space...
LOL I got these today in ORD - they seem to all have been shipped to America!
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.