Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

2000 Yen notes (using them in Japan)

2000 Yen notes (using them in Japan)

Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Some were shipped to Canada as well. Years ago I bought a package of currency in Yen, and they were pretty well all 2000 yen notes. I handed them back and said I wanted a different denominations (5000 and 10,000)
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: Global Entry WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Wink Equivalent to US $2.

I admit to sporadically requesting US $2 bills when I hit my bank for money. It has them.
What it doesn't have, and I dare scribe it never gets, even if I asked for it, is a 50 coin.
Unlike $1 coins, which are still available (I got a fistful of them when I broke a $10 bill at a Denver rapid transit station.) although unminted for scores, 50 coins have been minted continually for a century.
I would appreciate receiving 2,000 notes. @:-)
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by pudgym29
I admit to sporadically requesting US $2 bills when I hit my bank for money. It has them.
What it doesn't have, and I dare scribe it never gets, even if I asked for it, is a 50 coin.
Unlike $1 coins, which are still available (I got a fistful of them when I broke a $10 bill at a Denver rapid transit station.) although unminted for scores, 50 coins have been minted continually for a century.
I would appreciate receiving 2,000 notes. @:-)
I was rather shocked when I got a half-dollar coin in change a couple of years ago. They just don't circulate. (Nobody calls them fifty-cent coins. They don't even say "fifty cents" on them. )
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Beg to differ. Back in the day when they were common pocket change we called one a "fifty cent piece."
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Beg to differ. Back in the day when they were common pocket change we called one a "fifty cent piece."
Yeah, I remember calling them that. I don't recall anyone calling one of them a fifty-cent coin though.

American coins must really confuse foreigners. If they even name their value in cents, it's in English, not numerals. The smallest coin, the dime, is worth more than either of the two next-larger ones, and doesn't identify its value. Nobody calls the five-cent piece anything other than a nickel. And in recent years, scores of different designs of nickels, quarters, and dollar coins have appeared. The unfortunate foreigner is unlikely to be confused by a dollar coin, at least, as they hardly circulate.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ajGoes
The smallest coin, the dime, is worth more than either of the two next-larger ones, and doesn't identify its value.
Thanks for confirming. I thought I was the idiot ... Now I'll stop looking.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
Thanks for confirming. I thought I was the idiot ... Now I'll stop looking.
Strictly speaking, its value is what the coin says: one dime. The original US dollar was subdivided into ten dmes which were further subdivided into ten cents each. One cent was further subdivided into ten milles.

Students of French will recognize dme as a short form of dxime, "one tenth". It's hardly President Washington's fault that we only remember "dime" as the name of a coin, is it?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
The unfortunate foreigner is unlikely to be confused by a dollar coin, at least, as they hardly circulate.
Went to Ecuador a long time ago, they use the dollar as currency there. I think that's where all the dollar coins went, they're everywhere.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by shinjukuflyer
Went to Ecuador a long time ago, they use the dollar as currency there. I think that's where all the dollar coins went, they're everywhere.
The banking lobby has successfully foiled widespread circulation of one-dollar coins in the US by making sure that Congress requires continued issuance of dollar bills. Popular resistance to change takes care of the rest.

You may wonder why banks care whether Americans use coins or folding money for their small transactions. It's simple: for obscure historical reasons, the Federal Reserve pays the shipping cost for currency, while banks have to pay it for coins.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:00 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Folks, please stay on topic -- that is, the use of 2,000 JPY notes when in Japan.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Interesting, been to Japan so many times, never seen a 2K note.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I had a ton from a currency order. Folks in Japan did remark they hardly ever saw 2k yen notes.

I've still got a fair bit of what the ATMs really loved distributing: 10k notes.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:12 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I lived with a host family in Kanazawa in 2000, around the time the 2000 en note was introduced...somewhere, I have a pamphlet noting its watermarks and Murasaki Shikibu.

Indeed, on all of my subsequent travels to Japan, that bill had seldom been encountered.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: NH DIA+SFC+1MM; Marriott Titanium; AMEX Plat
2000 Yen notes are very common in Naha (Okinawa).

There is no train service (apart from the monorail) and bus services aren't the greatest.
So those who do not have cars tend to use taxis.
As the "average" journey costs more than 1000 and less than 2000 yens, they are widely used in Okinawa.

You can even see on the bank note that the Shuri Castle in Naha is featured as part of the design.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Got several in my stash for upcoming trip, crisp & new!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.