Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo hotels & more with an 8-year old

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by socalterp
Thanks. How is that area for tourists? Looks like a great value. Also thinking about Air B&B and an apartment in that area, as we are pretty self-sufficient, and having some extra space would be nice.
Ueno is an excellent neighborhood for tourists. You are 40 minutes from NRT via the Keisei Skyliner, and there are JR and subway stations nearby for easy access to the rest of the city. The park contains the National Museum and a couple of temples, and nearby is the hands-on Sh'tamachi Museum, which documents life in prewar Tokyo.

Just south of the station area (JR Ueno and Keisei Ueno are quite close together) is the Ameyokocho street market, which sells odds and ends that ordinary Tokyo residents might buy.

You are two stops from Akihabara south on the JR Line and a few subway stops west from Asakusa and the Kannon Temple (Sensoji).

On the northwest side of Ueno Park is Yanaka, one of the most traditional parts of Tokyo.

Because JR Ueno is on the amoeba-shaped Yamanote Line around the central city, you can easily access other areas of the city, either directly or by transferring.

The train to the Disney attractions leaves from what seems like the sub-sub-sub basement of Tokyo Station--which is on the Yamanote Line-- and I recommend leaving after the morning rush hour (when the Yamanote trains hold more people than should be humanly possible) and returning after about 7:00PM, so that you miss the worst of the evening rush hour.

I was unfamiliar with the hotel, but I looked at its website. The location is great, as I said, and the price looks very economical. The rooms are small, for sure, but I hope you will be out sightseeing instead of sitting around in your room.

Last edited by ksandness; Feb 6, 2016 at 9:36 am
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ksandness
Ueno is an excellent neighborhood for tourists. You are 40 minutes from NRT via the Keisei Skyliner, and there are JR and subway stations nearby for easy access to the rest of the city. The park contains the National Museum and a couple of temples, and nearby is the hands-on Sh'tamachi Museum, which documents life in prewar Tokyo.

Just south of the station area (JR Ueno and Keisei Ueno are quite close together) is the Ameyokocho street market, which sells odds and ends that ordinary Tokyo residents might buy.

You are two stops from Akihabara south on the JR Line and a few subway stops west from Asakusa and the Kannon Temple (Sensoji).

On the northeast side of Ueno Park is Yanaka, one of the most traditional parts of Tokyo.

Because JR Ueno is on the amoeba-shaped Yamanote Line around the central city, you can easily access other areas of the city, either directly or by transferring.

The train to the Disney attractions leaves from what seems like the sub-sub-sub basement of Tokyo Station--which is on the Yamanote Line-- and I recommend leaving after the morning rush hour (when the Yamanote trains hold more people than should be humanly possible) and returning after about 7:00PM, so that you miss the worst of the evening rush hour.

I was unfamiliar with the hotel, but I looked at its website. The location is great, as I said, and the price looks very economical. The rooms are small, for sure, but I hope you will be out sightseeing instead of sitting around in your room.
Thanks, area sounds perfect for us.

It looks like we may have one additional night in Tokyo on the way back due to the way mileage award seats are laying out - and the night happens to be 12/31, NYE. Confirming that fireworks aren't really a NYE thing in Japan, except at Disney...and that the pics I see of fireworks over Tokyo Bay, Tokyo Tower etc are from other times of year?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by socalterp
Confirming that fireworks aren't really a NYE thing in Japan, except at Disney...and that the pics I see of fireworks over Tokyo Bay, Tokyo Tower etc are from other times of year?
We don't really do New Years firework in Jpn. The only New Years fireworks I know of are at Yokohama's Sea Paradise, Osaka's USJ and Nagasaki's Huis Ten Bos. There may be others, I'm not sure. You say there's one at Disney.

There're many countdown events (live concerts, parties, etc) around Tokyo.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: UA, NW
You are most likely to see fireworks in Japan for Tanabata, which falls in early July.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ksandness
You are most likely to see fireworks in Japan for Tanabata, which falls in early July.
Or come back a little later for the Sumidagawa fireworks - some of the best I've ever seen...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.