Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Odawara-togendai: how long does it take?

Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak

I'm primarily interested in this segment because I believe it to be the most scenic portion. Is it possible to do a round trip on the pirate ship and return to tokendai?

What do I miss if I skip the bus ride?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Day trip from Odawara is no problem, people do day trip from Tokyo to this area. What do you mean as skipping bus? Yes, you can take a pirate ship and come back to same location.

Most common way to from Odawara to Togendai by tourist is Hakone Tozan Railway and Hakone Ropeway. However, currently there is minor volcanic activity going at Owaki-dani where the ropeway passes through. Currently ropeway is not operating.

I think currently the most common way by toruists is:

Odawara – Hakone Yumoto: Hakone Tozan Railway (15 min.)
Hakone Yumoto – Togendai: Hakone Tozan Bus (45 min.)
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Volcanic activity?

I was looking at the various websites and never saw that the ropeway was not operating. Is this a long term issue? Where do I check for updates. Not sure I want to go if I can't go on the ropeway.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Information is available at the website of Hakone Ropeway, English website available. Look at PDF file under "Information"
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

I see it now.

Thank you. I see that I can check on this before going. If the ropeway is not open I can plan differently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.