Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

A few thoughts on a ryokan/Tawaraya

A few thoughts on a ryokan/Tawaraya

Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by shuigao
As a self-proclaimed foodie I totally enjoyed browsing the inner market. Wife and I spent close to two hours just walking around gawking at all the huge kuruma-ebi, chunks of tuna, etc.

But ... waking up at 3am to take a taxi to queue for the tuna auction, that is the most overrated thing ever. I'd recommend to just skip that and watch a youtube video
Tsukiji is great the morning after you arrive from the US and inevitably wake up at 4am. Skip the auction and "big two" sushi restaurants, grab a coffee and a few onigiri and just wander around the outer market. Shake off the jet lag a bit and then start your day.

Very few tourists if you get a few rows away from Sushi Dai and Daiwa. Better food too (IMO) and you don't have to stand in line.

That's my routine anyways. YMMV.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by evergrn
There's a wide gamut of ryokans in Jpn and, even amongst expensive ryokans, you'll find varying quality, modernity and value. First of all, my ryokan stays are almost exclusively at places with natural hot springs. Onsen goes hand in hand with the whole yukata, kaiseki, futon experience. I wouldn't really care for the ryokan experience if it didn't have natural onsen. Another thing is, there are newer modern ryokans that place a premium on cleanliness, chic design and modern comfort (kind of like what Aventine was alluding to), and then there're what you'd call "shinise ryokans," places with history and tradition. However, many shinise ryokans have redone themselves and stayed fresh and modern, whereas other shinise ryokans have stayed old and stuck in the past (albeit still fairly well-maintained). There're some ryokans that have not renovated in >30yrs. I've not stayed at Tawaraya, but sounds like it fits into that latter category. Some people actually like that. I don't. My favorite ryokans are onsen places with clean, modern feel. There're many places like that all over.

Service/hospitality at ryokan can be a funny thing. I've stayed at places where they pamper you from check-in to breakfast. But as you get close to check-out time, all that goes out the door at some places. Cleaning ladies start working right outside your door, blocking hallway with stuff and making no bones about it as you weave your way through. One time I also had a bitter experience where I asked if we could stay no more than 30min past check-out and the staff graciously said 'take your time.' We ended up checking out a mere 10~15min past check-out and they'd still snuck in a 3000yen charge for late check-out. I raised issues with that, and the lady simply gave a one-sentence explanation matter-of-factly with polite and innocent keigo. To be honest, I got really p/o'd because she's politely blowing it off as nothing yet she's not going to reverse it. But in that setting, you'd look like an a** if you make a scene. So I just put up with it. As strict as Japanese hotels are about late check-out, no hotel chains in Jpn would charge you late fee for checking out 10-15min late. So with ryokans, it's kind of a hit and miss, good and bad, even within the same stay. Of course, I've had plenty of stays where it was excellent from start to finish.
thanks for your insights. I'll admit that me and my wife have no desire to stay in old places. We like visiting them but prefer to stay at something renovated in last 10 years.

Now would you be able to suggest a few ryokans that meet your criteria (as ours are similar). It will help a lot. Anywhere between kyoto and tokyo is good as we will be taking the train
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I have always thought the two most over-rated features of "the perfect trip to Japan" are the obligatory visit to a wet, hectic, crowded fish market (Tsukiji) at 4:00 AM
Affirmative regarding Tsukiji. It was just another fish market. Yes, a big, yes, with a lot of stuff but still it was another, but very civilized, first world country fish market.

And no, I did not go there at 4AM and won't recommend to do it. However going for sushi breakfast was a good idea.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
thanks for your insights. I'll admit that me and my wife have no desire to stay in old places. We like visiting them but prefer to stay at something renovated in last 10 years.

Now would you be able to suggest a few ryokans that meet your criteria (as ours are similar). It will help a lot. Anywhere between kyoto and tokyo is good as we will be taking the train
Gora Hanaougi (Hakone... not to be confused with Hanaougi Souunzan) - expensive, though.

Sagasawakan (central Izu)

Shinyu (Kami-Suwa) - a bit out of the way from Tokyo-Kyoto corridor; stay in their room with en-suite onsen, because their communal onsen is small.

Aburaya Tosen (Yudanaka) - this one's even further out of the way for you.

Looking for a place renovated within the last 10yrs is a sound approach to me, as well. The major onsen mags (in Japanese) list the built/renovated date for each ryokan/hotel. So that's how I weed places out.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
It all started due to tourists from Europe and the U.S. on jetlag. Those on jetlag are wide wake at 2 a.m./3 a.m. in Japan and cannot go sleep. Somewhere came out about visiting tuna auction at Tsukiji Fish Market, pretty much only thing open at Tokyo that time of the day except for 24 hrs. Dennys. Internet helped spread this around.
I always think that if someone can't find a brace of fantastic bars and restaurants open at 2 am/3 am in Tokyo then they don't deserve to be there. I honestly don't think there's a city in the world with more to do at that time, to waste it on a fish auction is a travesty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.