Luggage Delivery Times

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Delivery Times

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by BrianMinn
I'm still not convinced that 23"x18"x12" is large, as I've used it as a carry-on from US to Europe on occasion (but not stuffed to 12" thickness). Nevertheless I do recognize that it may not fit in a train's overhead rack.
You're right, it's not that big. But as you note, the limiting factor with many trains' overhead racks will be the width. It'll pose the same problem as my 25x18x~10.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by evergrn
You're right, it's not that big. But as you note, the limiting factor with many trains' overhead racks will be the width. It'll pose the same problem as my 25x18x~10.
The other problem I have seen on occasional packed-full shinkansens is the fact that everyone else is using the overhead rack for briefcases, totes, purses, shopping bags, coats, etc and really giving nasty looks to those who scarf up more than a fair share of the space. I've done it on trains that are not full but when there is not much space I just suck it up and add my roller to the (often massive) pile behind the last row of seats. The rack then gets my small backpack/camera bag. I try to remember that we are all in it together and I NEVER want to be that guy everyone talks about later. At 6'-5" 275 lb, I take up more than my share of seat and standing room anyway. No need to leave a worse impression of Americans than necessary.

JMHO. YMMV.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:53 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Now, in the past, I have sent stuff to NRT using Yamato with the pickup occurring the day before the flight. Also, I think a couple years ago I turned to ABC when Yamato couldn't do the 1-day service to NRT. ABC could do it. After that, I had an instance where neither Yamato nor ABC could do the 1-day (that was Saitama). At this point and going forward, I'm just planning on shipping it out 2days prior.
As long as I remember companies like Yamato insisted on pickup two days before departure. One reason I have never used the service since I can never get my bag packed and ready two days before.

Last year I was able to ship one day before departure by ABC from the western suburbs of Tokyo to HND but they charge slightly more than Yamato.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:50 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Is it possible to travel with large suitcases? Of course. I've done it a bunch of times. It's no problem if everything works out. When things don't work out, you still manage. But when you consider everything, I still think no large suitcases is the preferred way to travel by train in Jpn.
Oh, indeed - and I only really offer it as a data point, that it's worked for us on the last 3 trips quite happily. But if something can take away the hassle of carrying large bags at minimal expense/effort then why on earth not use that?

I suppose there's an issue of expectations - I regularly travel by train at home, using far less user-friendly trains and stations than Japan, so it doesn't really seem like hassle - it's just normal (actually rather easier). The point about taking up more space than you're due is noted, though - although I'm always mindful of that.

However... If your itinerary involves 1- and 2-night stops outside the Tokyo-Osaka corridor, both hotels and rented accommodation, can this kind of service still work for you?

(Genuine question, not an argument - if we can use it in the future, it could save plenty hassle...)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by stut
However... If your itinerary involves 1- and 2-night stops outside the Tokyo-Osaka corridor, both hotels and rented accommodation, can this kind of service still work for you?
It depends on your itinerary as to whether/not this service works for you. But in general, I've always ended up relying on it in one instance or another during the course of most of my trips to Jpn. These services do extend to pretty much everywhere, not just within Tokyo-Osaka corridor.

Generally, you send stuff out one day and it arrives the next day at its destination. However, some stuff to keep in mind:
- Some routes require that you send it out 2 days in advance. Examples include Hokkaido to Tokyo, Tokyo to Kyushu, anywhere to NRT.
- Each hotel may have only 1 or 2 pickup times for these transport companies. So if you check in to a hotel at 3pm and the pickup for that day had already passed, then you'll have to wait till the next day for pickup/shipment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.