Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 Days in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Having returned last year from our first trip to Tokyo (4 nights) and stayed at the PH I think I'm i a good position to answer your questions!

Originally Posted by gspurr
My first question is, what should I do about getting to and from Shinjuku? I am thinking of getting the 4000 Yen return fare on the Narita Express and a taxi from Shinjuku station to my hotel. Also, I was going to get one of the two smart cards (Suica/Pasmo) for subway/train travel in Tokyo itself . Is this the way to go?
The N'Ex train is a no brainer. It's easy to find right after you exit customs at Narita (there is another thread with an in depth discussion), the price is right, it has frequent service, it's faster than the bus, and no worries about traffic, etc. The limo bus only makes sense if you have so much luggage (and maybe children) that you require door-to-door service. And the Hyatt is right outside Shinjuku (even closer than the shuttle stop for the PH) - the hardest part is finding the right exit from Shinjuku station. Trust me, as a first time traveler, this is the way to go. The suica card is convenient (no need to get a new ticket at every station) and a good idea for your weekend metro trips.

Originally Posted by gspurr
I have never been outside of NRT before so I am looking for any advice on what to do. I don't mind walking or biking and I realize that staying in Shinjuku will mean that I will be doing this quite a bit and taking transit a great deal. I love sushi (although I don't want to spend a ton every time I eat). I wouldn't mind visiting a temple or museum or two but don't want to spend all my time doing this. I'm not into the club scene but do like nice bars and restaurants where someone traveling on their own won't feel too out of place. I like shopping for things you can't get in North America. I guess I'm looking to experience and check out as much of Tokyo I can in what will be a very short amount of time. I will certainly check out the New York Bar one night at the Park Hyatt as I am staying there. Thanks.
If you have time (1 month or more before your trip) I would contact Tokyofreeguides.com and see if you can get a free walking tour. We actually had 2 guides on separate days - both were superb - met us at the hotel, knowledgeable and took us all over the city on the metro. There are some good restaurants with the revolving "sushi" boats (and other inexpensive restaurants) in the neighborhood outside Shinjuku as you walk to the PH. There is also a good sushi restaurant in the office building basement of the PH. See the PH master thread for more info. Another cheap place is Sushi Zanmai near Shibuya which I visited during a long layover. In general expect to pay $30 with beer, maybe less if you eat the cheaper stuff.

I did not much care for the smokey overpriced NY bar - worth a visit to say you've been there, but there are many places near Shibuya that are more fun. Check yelp or just walk around the area on a weekend night. A quick metro ride from Shinjuku.

Originally Posted by ksandness
If you want to get at least one temple/shrine visit in, the two tourist favorites (but also patronized heavily by Japanese people) are Meiji Shrine, in the park next to Harajuku Station, and Sensoji (aka the Asakusa Kannon Temple). Meiji Shrine is more peaceful, since you walk along a wooded path to reach it, but Sensoji has an arcade of food and souvenir stands. Lots of cheap junk, but you might find something interesting, too, even just to photograph.There used to be (maybe still is) a stand selling rather elaborate clothes for dogs.
Excellent advice - there are plenty of stands near the Sensoji where the OP can find gifts for his daughter. Not to mention "must see" attractions. For shopping you probably want to hit the Akihabara which has some massive dept stores with all kinds of electronics. Or the dept stores near Studio Alta which is another "must see" at night (or rush hour).

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about PH or touring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.