Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Bag search in jetway prior to boarding out of NRT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone, headed to Tokyo in a few weeks and was going to see if they did a carry-on bag search in the jetway for the return trip home to the US like they did out of PEK.

Reason why I am asking is, I am hoping to buy a few Gatorades/Powerades airside to bring with me to help with dehydration and don't want to spend the $6 bucks or so if they are going to be confiscated.

The measly one bottled water that AA gives you (although I understand the storage issues) just isn't enough for me. I also hate how they refill the water bottles, yuck.

TIA
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:01 pm

I've done NRT-SJC on ANA three times in the last six months and haven't been checked for liquids/had my carry-on searched after clearing security/customs before getting on the plane.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I've flown out of NRT at least a dozen times, and I have never been searched once I'm airside.

Maybe you have NRT confused with LHR?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hnlsjc
I've done NRT-SJC on ANA three times in the last six months and haven't been checked for liquids/had my carry-on searched after clearing security/customs before getting on the plane.
Originally Posted by ksandness
I've flown out of NRT at least a dozen times, and I have never been searched once I'm airside.

Hey that's great thanks! When I was headed home from Beijing they did a bag check on the jetway. Was really bummed, had some cool China label Coke's I wanted to show my son.

Thanks again!

Last edited by schwimmair; Aug 19, 2015 at 8:37 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by schwimmair
When I was headed home from Beijing they did a bag check on the jetway.
I've never heard of such thing. Then again my recent international travel is limited to mostly just a few countries. Why can't you have liquid on you that you've purchase post-security? Every time I fly home non-stop from TYO, I stuff my carry-on prior to boarding with vending machine canned ice coffee as soon as I'm airside.

[addendum: Actually, if you're talking about random gate screening, of course we've all dealt with that. But it's been so long since the last time I encountered a gate screen, I forgot about it. Anyways, no random gate checks at NRT in recent years that I can recall. And even if you did get screened at the gate, I don't see why it'd be a problem to have beverage on you.]

Last edited by evergrn; Aug 19, 2015 at 11:17 pm
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by ksandness
LHR truly is the devil's armpit, but even at LHR nobody is going to take away liquids that you purchased in the airside shops. Same goes for NRT.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
I swear I've seen it happen a few months ago when I was in T1 on Asiana heading over to ICN for the weekend, it wasn't me, but I remember them calling up about 2-3 random passengers and their bags were checked next to the boarding gate.

Could be dependent on the airline?

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/security/faq/#16
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The US bound flight liquid search at the gate tends to be concentrated on US airlines, no matter the location (people have reported it at LHR, HKG, PVG, LIM, etc). So if you haven't been flying US based airlines, you probably would've never encountered this fun.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Dirt
I have been checked once flying NRT-HKG on UA over 10 years ago. Haven't been checked since. Maybe there is less need now since Narita installed liquid scanners at the security checkpoints years ago.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: FT
was the PEK flight via NRT one that continued to the US or EU?

the HKG-YVR-JFK flight on CX does not permit any liquids and they check in the jet bridge.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by evergrn
I've never heard of such thing. Then again my recent international travel is limited to mostly just a few countries. Why can't you have liquid on you that you've purchase post-security? Every time I fly home non-stop from TYO, I stuff my carry-on prior to boarding with vending machine canned ice coffee as soon as I'm airside.

[addendum: Actually, if you're talking about random gate screening, of course we've all dealt with that. But it's been so long since the last time I encountered a gate screen, I forgot about it. Anyways, no random gate checks at NRT in recent years that I can recall. And even if you did get screened at the gate, I don't see why it'd be a problem to have beverage on you.]
I've travelled to the US ex-PEK on UA and can confirm there is indeed security screening after gate check, and liquids are not allowed. I didn't buy duty free items so I can't remember for sure, but I think they do have and permit the security seal bags for those liquid items, but bottles of water or drinks etc don't pass. Not sure if things have changed since.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
The US bound flight liquid search at the gate tends to be concentrated on US airlines, no matter the location (people have reported it at LHR, HKG, PVG, LIM, etc). So if you haven't been flying US based airlines, you probably would've never encountered this fun.
Not necessarily limited to US carriers only. CX does gate screens on US bound flights at the gate (they have hand search security set-up at the entrance to the gate area that you have to pass through to get to the gate and liquids are forbidden including Duty Free alcohol I believe).

As for NRT, I've never encountered this issue on US bound flights (or any flights for that matter ex-NRT) and in fact I typically bring full bottles of Japanese Whiskey purchased at the Duty Free onto the plane without so much as a second glance.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by fimo
I've travelled to the US ex-PEK on UA and can confirm there is indeed security screening after gate check, and liquids are not allowed. I didn't buy duty free items so I can't remember for sure, but I think they do have and permit the security seal bags for those liquid items, but bottles of water or drinks etc don't pass. Not sure if things have changed since.
They do not allow duty-free on flights to US out of PEK.

And yes, ditto to above. As far as i can remember there is always a curtained off area at the entrance to the jetway (I can only speak about US bound flights), where they do bag checks. I think it is random, and they call the on the next person they find crossing, once they have finished with one! Of course YMMV. Cheers.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by spc354
They do not allow duty-free on flights to US out of PEK.
Duty-free what though, are you referring to. I don't think it's an issue buying a liquid make-up from duty-free that's within the liquids restriction limit as with just your personal item. So I guess those security seal bags aren't the issue (or necessary).
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
There is regular random screening on jetways for flights departing NRT. Liquids bought airside are not a problem though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.