Foodie doing a weekend run to Narita

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foodie doing a weekend run to Narita

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: FT
some of those places are a little kitchy. is that what you are looking for - likely to be full of layover pax? they seem to be attempted replica versions of what you can get in NA or places that fill a void for those that don't have time to venture into Tokyo. I am sure an English Pub is fun for locals but, being a culinary destination for a person from a place where they probably do English Pub well.

Seems like a lot of time in a small city.

From what you have listed, it is just my 2 cents but honestly, the places at the airport are just as good....what I mean, is none of what you have is really local and are decent but whether "good" or not, depends on your definition of good.

Sqeeze inn is a so so burger place IMO although granted i have not been there for a few years following a visit to a friend of mine up in shingle springs...[so I do appreciate, each to their own when it comes to food]

then again, although a chain, porcao was not bad in rio versus the higher price chains but if in San Paulo, this place was damn good...

http://www.frevinho.com.br/en/index.html
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:43 am

I think I'd have to agree with mkjr, and some of the other similar posts. Is there something in particular about Narita that intrigues you? I could see just staying in Narita if it was a straight mileage run, but four days seems long for just that.

Mind you, I don't dislike small cities. I've spent multiple days in small cities in Kansai, and I love it. But I always had specific reasons to do so: visiting a friend's hometown, eating my favourite ramen, rock climbing, or even just getting to know a place. Is there something about Narita I don't know? =D

Tokyo is soooooo close. Do you have any particular reason for not wanting to go? Is it just the train ride? Is it the environment? I would wager there are much better small, local places in and around Tokyo than in Narita.

I'm sure it sounds like a lot of us are getting down on your decision to remain in Narita, but make no mistake it *is* your decision, so it really doesn't matter what any of us here say or think. I think we all just find it a bit -- curious is all. =D

It doesn't seem like 'foodie' behaviour. I'm a tonkotsu ramen fanatic, so I've made trips to places (e.g., Kurume) for no other reason than food. But Narita doesn't seem like a food destination. O_o
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:56 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pdxkankuu
I think I'd have to agree with mkjr, and some of the other similar posts. Is there something in particular about Narita that intrigues you? I could see just staying in Narita if it was a straight mileage run, but four days seems long for just that.

Mind you, I don't dislike small cities. I've spent multiple days in small cities in Kansai, and I love it. But I always had specific reasons to do so: visiting a friend's hometown, eating my favourite ramen, rock climbing, or even just getting to know a place. Is there something about Narita I don't know? =D
Firstly, It has been decades since the OP was in the Tokyo metro area.

Or, maybe the OP likes railroads and would want to check out the Shibayama Railway.

Personally, I've spent some time wandering around Chiba-ken and delighted in the mom-and-pop restaurants and historical finds (such as at Sakura).
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Firstly, It has been decades since the OP was in the Tokyo metro area.

Or, maybe the OP likes railroads and would want to check out the Shibayama Railway.

Personally, I've spent some time wandering around Chiba-ken and delighted in the mom-and-pop restaurants and historical finds (such as at Sakura).
Fair enough. Between my first and second time to Japan was 17 years and boy how I noticed it was way more easy to get around. I too first flew into NRT with the passport checks way outside the terminal and the big water cannons for protesters. And the amount of English in stations and announcements and at restaurants just keeps increasing year after year. Either way, I was just saying the airport has decent places. I mean, compared to many US or Canadian airports, restaurants land side are pretty decent.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
Researching other blogs, looks like Gyoza no Osho is a place everyone raves about. Also found The Barge, Noodle Shop Ramen Bayashi, Kura Sushi (gotta see that train), The Bonn, may check out the Jet Lag Club.
That list don't sound too foodie, or even worth considering. Piling on, if you're in Japan for the food, head on to Tokyo, really.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
This is getting to be too much

Reminds me of the current Arby's commercial.....

What part of I don't want to go into Tokyo don't you understand?

For those who criticized my usage of "foodie", here is the Wikipedia def

A foodie is a person who has an ardent or refined interest in food and alcoholic beverages

My question was hotels and dining near Narita - 80% of the replies had nothing to do with the question.

For the other 20%, thanks again.

Last edited by MiamiFlyer; Aug 8, 2015 at 2:49 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:30 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I for one don't understand why you think staying in Narita for four nights is preferable to going to Tokyo when you haven't been to either city for forty some years.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I have no intent to contribute to or prolong an argument but feel the need to offer an explanation. We here in the Japan Forum take some pride in a reputation for helpfulness and inclusiveness that has been mentioned several times over the years. We usually strive to offer our best advice and suggestions to those who come here looking for them. Many who come and ask are inexperienced or first-time travelers to Japan who may not know the best way to approach their questions so we tend to offer specific responses and then also offer answers to what the requester did not actually ask. The reasoning there is that many do not know what or how, exactly, to ask. In an effort to be helpful, we often go beyond the original parameters of the question in an effort to suggest alternative options to what was specifically asked. In doing so, we occasionally stray into unwanted territory.

I am sorry that our efforts to give our best collective opinions in this case seems to have annoyed the OP. No more posting to this thread for me.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

A foodie is a person who has an ardent or refined interest in food and alcoholic beverages

My question was hotels and dining near Narita - 80% of the replies had nothing to do with the question.

OK pal. You probably have your reasons for staying in Narita. I can think of a number of reasons why this may be important to you. Very well, let's go with that.

In that case, don't expect "foodie" anything, because, as far as I can tell, there isn't any "foodie" destination anywhere near Narita. The places you mentioned will likely keep you fed, and will do an adequate job at that. But "foodie" (even lowbrow, which I'm all for), they aren't.

So your ardent desire to stay in Japan's equivalent of Jamaica, NY, when Manhattan is not that far away is incompatible with good eating.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bet none of us have ever eaten at the food court at the Aeon Mall in Narita (I certainly haven't). Who knows, maybe wonders abound there. And in between meals, you can surely spend a lot of time exploring the Sports Authority store.

Also, amongst those typical Japanese establishments on Omotesando St that you mention (like the "Jet Lag Club," which at one time was semi-famous as a haunt for Virgin Atlantic flight crews), there is an excellent 100 Yen shop.

Should be easy to fill up four nights with all sorts of exciting adventures.

As to Tokyo, pah! I'm with our former great city critic Phred who felt that it was maybe good for an afternoon, if you pushed it.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I have no intent to contribute to or prolong an argument but feel the need to offer an explanation. We here in the Japan Forum take some pride in a reputation for helpfulness and inclusiveness that has been mentioned several times over the years. We usually strive to offer our best advice and suggestions to those who come here looking for them. Many who come and ask are inexperienced or first-time travelers to Japan who may not know the best way to approach their questions so we tend to offer specific responses and then also offer answers to what the requester did not actually ask. The reasoning there is that many do not know what or how, exactly, to ask. In an effort to be helpful, we often go beyond the original parameters of the question in an effort to suggest alternative options to what was specifically asked. In doing so, we occasionally stray into unwanted territory.

I am sorry that our efforts to give our best collective opinions in this case seems to have annoyed the OP. No more posting to this thread for me.
Could not agree more and last post for me. Enjoy Narita.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I dislike the word "foodie". Does it mean gourmet-lite? Or gourmand-lite since Americans generally like food in large quantities? In any case, I found the mention of Gyoza-no-Osho amusing in this context.

Nevertheless, the sushi joint in the Comfort hotel building is good. Yamato, I think. やまと。 They have an ebullient waiter who used to be a sushi chef in San Diego. Note the change of occupation.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
As to Tokyo, pah! I'm with our former great city critic Phred who felt that it was maybe good for an afternoon, if you pushed it.
I believe phred thought (rightly, I may add) that 1.5 days was enough for Tokyo. That would still leave the OP with 2.5 days of Jamaica, NY Narita City.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:59 pm

No need to snap here. People are trying to help you. The overwhelming consensus is that it doesn't make sense for a visitor to spend all 4 days of a Jpn trip in Narita, esp if food's gonna be an important part of your experience. If you haven't been to Jpn in 40yrs, it's reasonable to assume you don't really know Jpn. So the nice folks here are recommending that you reconsider your plans, which is a legitimate advice. Normally, an OP would've said "Okay, I'll take your advice" or "I don't want to go to Tokyo and here's why..." or "I don't want to go to Tokyo for reasons I'm not gonna get into..." or whatever. But you didn't communicate as such, and so people rightfully continued to reiterate recommendations to go to Tokyo. Then all of a sudden, you say the above on your third post.

As pdxkankuu said above, there's definitely something to be said about staying in a place that's off the beaten path (eg, not Tokyo) and just relax and eat good local food. But I've got to think there're many medium-sized towns better than Narita for that. I won't pretend to know Narita's dining scene too well. But I do stay in Narita all the time and, while you'll always find tasty food everywhere in Jpn with Narita being no exception, I don't recall anywhere in Narita town area that's stood out. In fact, my most enjoyable Narita food has been hotel breakfast buffets, and otherwise I've usually resorted to eating at chain family restaurants or konbini food (nothing wrong with that). There's a touristy street called Omotesando in Narita that's kind of a fun place lined with places for food and gifts, but I'm not sure that there's anything there really worthwhile unless you're into unagi. Ueno's station complex alone probably packs more punch for a foodie than the entire city of Narita.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
Nevertheless, the sushi joint in the Comfort hotel building is good. Yamato, I think. やまと。 They have an ebullient waiter who used to be a sushi chef in San Diego. Note the change of occupation.
What's his story? I hope that's a short-term temporary thing while he looks for a chef position somewhere in Jpn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.