Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Travel to Japan with an unrelated minor

Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:19 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

I guess this question could have been posted in the "Special interest Travel - Travel with children" forum but it is a rather Japan-specific question and I'm hoping someone with this exact knowledge hoovers the destination forum.
(Also, I've scanned that forum and it contains very little about Japan and minors.)

I'm planning a week long trip to Japan with a 11 year old. I am not legal guardian but the minor is in my care. I will get a consent letter from the birth mother who is guardian.

While we are residents of the same country, me and the minor are of different nationalities and thus we must enter Japan on different visas. I fall under visa-exemption rules (can get landing permission upon entering Japan), while I will have to apply for a tourist class visa for the minor in our home country before starting the trip.

We will departure and return to our home country and will of course have confirmed return tickets. We will have a few hotels and domestic transportations booked, but would also like to keep our exact intra-japan-itinerary somewhat open and be spontaneous.

Any pointers or insights on special requirements from Japanese authorities, possible issues we will run into entering or traversing Japan or possible issues with applying for a visa under these circumstances are greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
You might also get a power of attorney in case of a medical emergency.

I have a feeling that the letter of consent would satisfy Japanese immigration officials, but you might face greater scrutiny when taking the child out of his/her home country. Not least because Japan is notorious for being uncooperative in cases where a Japanese parent has kidnapped a child to Japan in defiance of legal decisions and without the other parent's consent.

Is there anyone else with rights to access the child or shared custody? Could you prove that there isn't? I would suggest getting all documents notarized.

I am not a lawyer and none of this should be taken as legal advice.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I strongly suggest that you contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country to ask these questions.

One thing that jumps out at me is that you say you will have a letter from only one of the parents. In many countries, permission from both parents is required.

If the child in this case were older, I'd think it would not be too difficult, although I agree with the suggestion to have a power of attorney for health care decisions. For an 11 year-old, presumably staying in hotel rooms with an unrelated adult, all sorts of alarms seem quite likely.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
I've made multiple trips with my children, who have a different last name listed on their passports used to enter Japan. They also use a different passport from mine. Just me and the kids, spouse is not present. We've done this a couple of times since they were born so multiple occasions when they were < 12 years old.

To an observer, my situation might look the same as yours. Unlike your situation, we do not need visas.

Nobody has asked or raised any questions entering or leaving Japan, although admittedly if they did, I am the biological parent and we do have other passports that establish this relationship.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:22 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Thanks all for different inputs.

I'd just like to report back that visa was granted for the minor without any issues, with a letter of consent and a letter certifying I assume full responsibility for the minor as supporting documents.

If there are others with experience of travelling with a minor in Japan I'd appreciate any tips or hints you may have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.