Wiki Posts
Search

Help with trip Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo with 11 year old

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Help with trip Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo with 11 year old

This will be my family's first trip to Japan (wife and I with our 11 year old son). With lots of friends giving us advice, thought I would ask the folks here for suggestions too.

We have 10 nights in Japan in late August (no choice in terms of timing). We love to eat, explore, hike/walk/bike/climb.

Flying in from HK to Osaka and plan on staying at the RC for 4 nights (Sunday thru Thurs) with perhaps a day trip to Nara.

Then will take the train up to Kyoto and plan to stay 2 nights (Thur thru Sat) at the RC again. I realize this is a city of temples and spread out but we are used to walking coming from NYC.

Finally taking the Shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo and stay 4 nights (Sat thru Wed). Planning on staying at the MO.

Will fly back to NY on Wed morning.

If just my wife and I, we would consider a ryokan but will save that for a later trip.

Is 4 nights too much in Osaka, or should we move another night to Kyoto. I'm afraid Kyoto is more of what my wife and I want to see versus our son. Also is 4 nights in Tokyo too much, is there a side trip that makes sense from Tokyo. Suggestions on our pace?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
Osaka is a great city, well located with easy day trips and 4 nights looks about right for your trip.

I will be making my 3rd trip to Japan next March/April and will be staying 6 nights in Tokyo, 4 in Osaka, 3 in Kyoto and 1 each in Hiroshima & Miyajima.

Last time I was there was during the Tsunami and Fukushima reactor melt down so we ended up staying in Osaka and doing day trips from there instead of heading to Tokyo & Kashima.

Even though it is a long day Hiroshima & Miyajima are easily reached as a day trip from Osaka. We left in the morning and returned that night without any issues or feeling that we had rushed things.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: Delta
Here are a couple of ideas that may be of interest for your son.

Toei Studio Park. Old Japanese movie set kind of place. My kids went at about that age and really liked it.
http://www.toei-eigamura.com/en/

A ninja village kind of place. Haven't been. You could do this from Osaka.
http://www.iganinja.jp/en/
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by johnathome
Is 4 nights too much in Osaka, or should we move another night to Kyoto. I'm afraid Kyoto is more of what my wife and I want to see versus our son. Also is 4 nights in Tokyo too much, is there a side trip that makes sense from Tokyo. Suggestions on our pace?
Depends on what night activities your son would enjoy. I'm not that well versed in Osaka night life, but in both Osaka and Tokyo you could:
1) spend a few hours in a multi-level video arcade
2) spend an hour or two in a karaoke room
3) eat out at a kaiten sushi/zushi joint
4) hang out at a manga kissa

Some of those options are available in Kyoto as well, but you are likely to find them in abundance in Tokyo or Osaka. All fun Japanese cultural experiences, IMO.

In Tokyo, you could also spend an evening in Akihabara (make sure to go before closing times), Shibuya, or Joypolis. There are plenty of quirky bars/cafes/restarants around the city such as the Capcom cafe, the Gundam cafe, Robot (appropriate for an 11-y.o.? dunno). More ideas here and here.

In short, there is plenty to do, it just depends what would appeal to the lot of you.

I don't think 4 nights in Tokyo is too much, but the most common day trips are Nikko and Kamakura.

Last edited by Pureboy; Jul 6, 2015 at 9:14 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: FT
see if the tigers are playing and go to a baseball game or check to see if another team is playing in the city you are going to.

http://www.npb.or.jp/eng/

all i have to say is when did the swallows get back into it....same with the carp.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I generally stay out of threads dealing with travel with kids as my experience there is very limited. I do think someone should warn you about the heat and humidity in late August for the places you are planning to visit. Be prepared for VERY uncomfortable walking and outdoor site-seeing. Vending machines and convenience stores for chilled drinks are your friends, as are museums and other air-conditioned, indoor places during the middle part of the day. Hats, sunscreen and frequent stops are recommended. Maybe even an umbrella.

Days are running 104-107 F right now where I live and I'd still think twice about going back to Japan in August. Many folks have little choice as to vacation dates so you may be limited to the dates you have. Just be prepared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.