Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT 21 hrs layover, need help with train schedule

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

NRT 21 hrs layover, need help with train schedule

Will arrive NRT Terminal 2 on a Thu at 8:30p and leave from Terminal 2 on Fri at 5:25p. That's a 21 hours layover so plan to overnight in Tokyo, with lodging by the train station.

I would like to know the fastest train between NRT and Tokyo for those hours.

From N'EX schedule here:
http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shi..._nex_u/07.html
Looks like the only one that works is Narita Express 54 at 9:46p. But why are there two columns with the same time & name but different stops?

Coming back from Tokyo:
http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shi..._nex_d/04.html
Looks like Narita Express 31 at 2:03p Narita Express 33 at 2:33p will work.

From Skyliner schedule here:
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetud...x.html#narita2

I am a little confuse about "SU", "AU" and the numbers undeneath. For example, under weekdays on row 21, does it mean at 9:12p & 9:52p, there is a Skyliner that departs for Ueno? And an Access Express at 9:16p? What is the difference between Skyliner and Access Express? Looks like Access Express has couple transfer stations before Ueno so it's slower?

For return, the schedule here:
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetud...ndex.html#ueno
If those numbers are departure time, then how can I tell the arrival time to NRT?

Are there other train options?
Is there a preference between N'EX or Skyliner? or just pick the "next" one that's leaving?
Is to necessary to make advance seat reservation?
With round trip tickets, does it require a pre-select return time or is that flexible?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: UA, NW
I suspect that the train splits at Tokyo Station, with one part going to Ikebukuro and one part going to Ofuna (south of Yokohama).

If you are going only to central Tokyo, it doesn't matter. If your destination is beyond Tokyo Station, tell the ticket agent, who will sell you a reserved seat in the right part of the train.

The Keisei schedule is a bit confusing, but essentially, there are three services running on the same tracks. Unless you want to stay in the suburbs of Tokyo (not much to see except houses), take the Skyliner, which goes nonstop to Nippori and Ueno.

If you are staying in the southern part of Tokyo, then the N'EX is more convenient (Tokyo, Shibuya, etc.). If you're staying in the northern part of Tokyo (Ueno, Ikebukuro), then the Skyliner is more convenient.

Technically, you could take slower commuter trains, but there's no reason to.

All seats are reserved, but in all the years I have traveled to Japan (I think I first rode the Skyliner in 1987), I have never had trouble getting a seat on either train. The Skyliner ticket office is in the arrivals hall, and the N'EX tickets are purchased at the JR office on the level below the arrivals hall.

You can pay for a roundtrip, but you need to make a reservation before you return to the airport. Usually the same day is all right unless you are traveling during a peak period, such as Golden Week (the first week in May).

Your other option, if you know that you will be staying at a major hotel, is to take the limousine bus, but it has a more limited schedule.

Be aware that the airport hotels are in a very uninteresting area along a super highway. With 21 hours, you should definitely make the 60 km trip into central Tokyo.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
You need to decide where in Tokyo you wish to go before deciding on the Japan Rail Narita Express or the Keisei Skyliner (or other Keisei train like the Access Express.) They go to different parts of the city, Keisei to Nippori and Ueno and N'Ex to Tokyo Station and points beyond, such as Shibuya and Shinjuku.

The last Narita Express leaves T-2 at 9:46 pm. You are unlikely to make the one before at 8:47 pm. That last train arrives at Tokyo Station at 10:41, Shibuya at 10:57 and Shinjuku at 11:02 pm.

There are several Keisei Skyliner or Access Express trains that you could take, at 9:16, 9:52 and 10:33 pm, all of which stop at Nippori 4 minutes before arriving at Keisei-Ueno Station in Ueno. The Keisei trains are faster than the N'Ex so they arrive sooner even if they leave a little later.

The rail travel tool at HyperDia is somewhat easier to use than eki-net.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Shinjuku or Shibuya are probably more interesting if you will be roaming around at night after you get in. If you will instead be sleeping upon arrival and save your touring for the morning, Ueno is probably a better choice, with lots to see in a close-by, walking distance area.

Last edited by abmj-jr; May 23, 2015 at 1:42 am
Old May 23, 2015, 1:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carcassone
From Skyliner schedule here:
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetud...x.html#narita2

I am a little confuse about "SU", "AU" and the numbers undeneath. For example, under weekdays on row 21, does it mean at 9:12p & 9:52p, there is a Skyliner that departs for Ueno? And an Access Express at 9:16p? What is the difference between Skyliner and Access Express? Looks like Access Express has couple transfer stations before Ueno so it's slower?

For return, the schedule here:
http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetud...ndex.html#ueno
If those numbers are departure time, then how can I tell the arrival time to NRT?
You seem to have answered some of the questions about N'EX yourself and ksandness has answered the rest.

You are also right about the Keisei timetable. SU means Skyliner to Ueno and AU is Access Express to Ueno. The main difference between Skyliner and Access Express is the ticket price and travel time. Skyliner between NRT T2 and Keisei Ueno takes 41 minutes and costs 2,470 yen. Access Express between NRT T2 and Keisei Ueno takes ~75 minutes and costs 1,240 yen.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
If you are staying in a major hotel that is directly served (door to door) by the Airport Limousine, I would take that inbound. I read somewhere you get a major discount if you show your passport when you buy your ticket. They also had a discount if you use your Discover Card.

The next day, you will have time to putter and you can take the NeX or the Skyliner back to NRT, depending on where in Tokyo you wind up at.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by abraxis
I read somewhere you get a major discount if you show your passport when you buy your ticket.
Only for the TCAT bus - not the hotel buses. As discussed in another thread.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. Now I understand my options much better.

If I were to purchase a round trip ticket upon arrival, is the time/seat for the return trip exchangable? Therefore, if I want to head back to NRT earlier than planned, or (OMG) missed the train and have to take the next one, can I exchange the return portion or pay full for a new ticket?
Old May 28, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
The bus is a quite good option, especially late. Even if there is not one directly to your hotel. Buses depart for TCAT every 10-20 minutes (much more frequent than trains). From TCAT you can connect downstairs to the Hanzomon line, which will take you directly to Shibuya. TCAT is also quite central near Nihonbashi and Ginza.

There are also discount buses like Keisei and Access Narita for only 1000 yen. The latter goes to Ginza after stopping at Tokyo station (really only a few hundred meters away).

If you take a different train from your reserved time then you can take another, but you don't have a reserved seat. The NEX is typically half empty, so after Tokyo station then you can find an empty seat. This will alert the conductor, but it only means that he will check your ticket.

You can even get on the NEX without a ticket. (You will need a Suica or minimum fare to enter the train system). The conductor will charge you for the reserved portion (about half the fare total) and then you will pay an exit fare when you go through the gate at NRT.

The latter typically happens with Skyliner if you connect from JR Yamanote line (without a loaded Suica) because you then pay the Skyliner supplement (half the total) to get a seat reservation after you go through gate between JR and Keisei. But you probably haven't paid the full base fare unless you selected a base to Narita when you started your journey.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Just booked my lodging in Akihabara (actually half way between stations Akihabara and Asakusabashi, on the Kanda River).

So looks like Keisei Skyliner (instead of N'EX) is the train to take.

Arriving at 8:30p, hyperdia.com/en suggests taking Skyliner #56 at 9:52p transferring at Nippori (not Ueno) to Yamanote Line. Similarly on the return.

Pretty straight forward.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Or I could take the Skyliner all the way to Ueno and then take a taxi?

Looks like fare is < 1,000 yen according to this:
http://www.taxiautofare.com/jp/taxi-...habara-station

Not sure how accurate it is.

Last edited by carcassone; Jun 2, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:29 pm

Or I could take the Skyliner all the way to Ueno and then take a taxi?
You could. It's a fairly short distance. 1,000 yen is about right.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I do agree that you should take Skyliner all the way to Ueno. The area you are describing for your hotel is about 2 – 2.5 km (1.2 – 1.6 miles) from Keisei Ueno station. Between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. taxi fare goes up 20%, even with that expected taxi fare from Keisei Ueno station to the area of your hotel should be about 910 yen.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, the more I think about it, taxi from Ueno is a better option. I've been to those crazy Tokyo stations many years ago and the few minutes xfer time may not be enough for me to find my way from the Skyliner to JR trains.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:07 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... the few minutes xfer time may not be enough for me to find my way from the Skyliner to JR trains.
At Ueno, they aren't even in the same station but rather across the street from each other, connected by underground passage. But your point is valid.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
At Ueno, they aren't even in the same station but rather across the street from each other
Nippori is set up for an easy transfer from Skyliner to Yamanote line.
If the OP were keen to do the whole trip by train, Nippori would be the best station to change trains at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.