Reload this Page >

First time Japan and on business

Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, United Premier Exec, Virgin Gold

Hi

I am due to be visiting Japan in June touring a lot of the Toyota sites. It's my first time in Japan, and while we've received a lot of paperwork on what to do and what not to do, I wonder if there is any informal things that I need to know, about surviving the two weeks with my CEO and how it make the trip successful and be received well.

We start off in Nagoya, then Kyota and then Tokyo.

Many thanks

A
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Keep in mind, if you are there on business, you not only represent yourself, but also your ceo and the entire company.

Make your ceo look good and you are set.

View some website for japanese culture nuisances. You are a guest in their country, make an effort to at least know the customs and perhaps learn a few key phrases in japanese.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
well, no tipping is something you might want to get used to. Also, Japanese people don't handshake too often, but bow instead. Some places expect you to take shoes off before entering. Don't pour your own drink, and when someone's glass is empty, fill it for them. There's lots others I'm sure.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I'll second the "no tipping" advice. It is actually a bit rude to try to insist.

Also, be aware that June is the rainy season. Be prepared for a lot of it off and on during your stay. If you get caught without an umbrella, pop into any convenience store - 7-11, Lawsons, Family Mart, several others. They will have throw-away plastic umbrellas for a couple hundred yen (less than $2.00.) "Konbinis" are located in almost every block.

Cabs are safe, honest, clean and not unreasonable for business travel. One tip, try to have a card or brochure with the address in Japanese for the places you are going, or at least have the hotel concierge write it out in Japanese, to show the cab driver who may not speak much English. Likewise, grab a card or brochure from your hotel to make it easy to get "home." Most cabbies will know the names and locations of major hotels in English but it helps to have something in writing, just in case.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

How you are treated by the Toyota people will be very different based on whether you are selling to them or they are selling to you, as you might expect. Of the three cities you are visiting, Nagoya has the least to offer tourist-wise, I presume you are going there because Toyota HQ is not far away. In fact, if that is your mean reason to visit, stay nearby rather than in Nagoya if there is a decent hotel.

Other than providing general guidebook advice (like the first two responses above), we can be more helpful if you are specific about the trip details, letting us know how many days you will be in each city, how much free time you will have, and the specific interests of the individuals concerned.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:12 pm

I actually run a Japanese business (franchise) in the US so I go there for business a lot. I'm guessing you will have someone with you who will be acting as more of a liaison/translator, so you probably don't need to worry too much.

There are a lot of little politeness tips specific to business that I could give you, but the most important thing I've learned is that a lot of Japanese business is done the old fashioned way, with a verbal contract over drinks. Deals between companies are done based on trust. So just be careful what you say/agree to in these situations, no matter how drunk everyone is. You will be held to it later.

Also while it can seem kind of harrowing the first couple times this happens, don't be too afraid or uncomfortable if your Japanese colleagues start asking really gossipy questions really early about your business, especially if you go out socially with them. I think it's part of the way they build trust, and there seems to be kind of an unwritten rule that the things you say in situations like that are in strict confidence. Obviously don't give anything away that's really confidential, but they're probably going to tell you things themselves that you wouldn't expect to hear, so you gotta throw them a bone once in a while. That seems to be how they know you're in this thing together.

Business in Japan is fun and interesting like most of the rest of the country. It's very different to business in the US.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far.

We are going out to Japan to look at the Toyota Production System and to bring it back to the UK. Our itinerary is still not completely firmed up but we start on 11th June in Nagoya staying at the Hilton Nagoya, then we move on to Kyoto and staying at the ANA Crowne Plaza then finishing off in Tokyo staying at the Imperial Palace and flying home from Narita on 25th June.

We're flying via Helsinki with Finnair having got a good deal. Not clear what to expect from them either.

Any help, suggestions and tips would be really welcome.

Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by ade99
We are going out to Japan to look at the Toyota Production System and to bring it back to the UK.
Not to take this too far off-topic, but aren't you, like, 30 years behind schedule?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Pickles
Not to take this too far off-topic, but aren't you, like, 30 years behind schedule?
Nah. He's just in time.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jib71
Nah. He's just in time.
Kaching!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
Take a bunch of business cards. I think they like to exchange them.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Yes you're right for the majority of industry. But bringing it back to the NHS embarrassingly were are one of the first!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ade99
Yes you're right for the majority of industry. But bringing it back to the NHS embarrassingly were are one of the first!
You're probably doing a Lean Six Sigma implementation... just like everybody is doing these days (or has done in the past using a different name).

Enjoy Toyota, it's going to be a fun experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.