Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hiroshima and Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Alright so just an update here.

Booked myself the Crowne Plaza Kobe. Going to plan on storing my bag there (unless I can find pictures of the luggage lockers at Kyoto station before then) so I'll plan to leave Kyoto by about 4:30PM putting me at KIX by about 7:15PM.

Looks like I'll do the Kansai area pass wide then buy the additional tag on ticket to Hiroshima and back. I'm guessing the only additional transportation costs I'll have is within Hiroshima (including ferry to Miyajima) and getting around Kyoto itself. I found a few passes for Kyoto but not sure if they're worth it, doesn't seem the buses and such are included in the pass.

Update: Booked the Rihga Royal Hotel Osaka. Will continue looking but its between this and the CP.
I've never stayed at RR in Osaka, but I looked up the location and I think you'll be better off going with CP Kobe unless there's a huge price difference.

Although Kyoto Station has numerous lockers, suitcase-size (including your 26") lockers are always at a premium so it's never a guarantee that one will be free. I don't go to Kyoto that often, but I know it's not always easy at Ikebukuro and Shinjuku. But in case you can't find a large locker, I googled and did find a place at Kyoto Station that will keep your luggage.

http://carry-s.com/wp/?page_id=74

So it seems like you can rest assured you'll be able to take your bags with you for storage at Kyoto Station, allowing you to stay later in Kyoto. The 5.46pm Haruka train from Kyoto will get you to KIX at 7.11pm.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I believe the CP was around $270 for the two days and the RR was $190. This is the backend of the week of my vacation (Sun-Wed is in HNL) so it's all going to come down to how much is spent in Hawaii those days.

Baggage situation is good news!

Is there a tourist card/transportation card for Hiroshima? I think from what I'm reading it's going to be more cost effective to just buy the tickets as I go there. Getting to the Peace Memorial, then somewhere for food, then onto Miyajima.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I am unaware of any tourist card for Hiroshima (you might check the city's website) but the rather antiquated trolley system will get you where you need to go, including the boat to Miyajima.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
There is a day pass available for the trams + non-JR ferry to Miyajima:

http://www.hiroden.co.jp/en/ecotickets.html

A bit slower on the tram vs. JR train to Miyajimaguchi, but cheaper as well.

If time is at a premium, you can also use the pay-as-you-go ICOCA card recommended above for Kyoto on public transit in Hiroshima as well to avoid having to spend time buying a ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... Is there a tourist card/transportation card for Hiroshima? ...
The same ICOCA card you would use in Kyoto/Osaka is valid in Hiroshima for JR trains and ferries. If you want to use the tram to get around, you can get a tram pass at the tourist booth in Hiroshima Station.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lockers that I know about in Kyoto station are on the side that exits to the center of town, but they are down one level (by escalator) from the ground floor. There are two banks of lockers, on either side of the escalator, whichever escalator you take. I've managed to find a suitcase-sized locker the few times I needed one but I have always had to search.

Oh, you went to Tokyo and said you saw all the major sights but skipped Akihabara? Shame on you!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The lockers that I know about in Kyoto station are on the side that exits to the center of town, but they are down one level (by escalator) from the ground floor. There are two banks of lockers, on either side of the escalator, whichever escalator you take. I've managed to find a suitcase-sized locker the few times I needed one but I have always had to search.

Oh, you went to Tokyo and said you saw all the major sights but skipped Akihabara? Shame on you!
Haha, thanks. Covered Akihabara on my second short trip to Tokyo
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Was able to snag a room at the Crowne Plaza in Kyoto for the same price as the RR in Osaka. Stick with RR since it's more centrally located or go with the one in Kyoto?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:52 pm

Was able to snag a room at the Crowne Plaza in Kyoto for the same price as the RR in Osaka. Stick with RR since it's more centrally located or go with the one in Kyoto?
Well, neither one is particularly convenient to the shinkansen station. The ANA Crowne Plaza Kyoto is right across the street from Nijo Castle, so it would be easy to get in an early visit before check-out to beat the tour bus crowds. They would probably hold your bags for awhile after check out. It is short bus ride from the station and probably a 1500 yen cab ride.

The Rihga Royal in Osaka is a lot farther than that from Shin-Osaka Station.

I'd probably opt for the ANA CP Kyoto, primarily because I like Kyoto a lot more than Osaka. For the trip to Hiroshima, it only adds about 15-20 minutes over Shin-Osaka. Add the local Osaka train to Shin-Osaka and it is about a wash. The ride to/from KIX is about 15 minutes more. Not really worth worrying about.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Well, neither one is particularly convenient to the shinkansen station. The ANA Crowne Plaza Kyoto is right across the street from Nijo Castle, so it would be easy to get in an early visit before check-out to beat the tour bus crowds. They would probably hold your bags for awhile after check out. It is short bus ride from the station and probably a 1500 yen cab ride.

The Rihga Royal in Osaka is a lot farther than that from Shin-Osaka Station.

I'd probably opt for the ANA CP Kyoto, primarily because I like Kyoto a lot more than Osaka. For the trip to Hiroshima, it only adds about 15-20 minutes over Shin-Osaka. Add the local Osaka train to Shin-Osaka and it is about a wash. The ride to/from KIX is about 15 minutes more. Not really worth worrying about.
Think I'm going to stick with the CP Kyoto. Allows me to start earlier for the day in Kyoto and I at least earn points for it as well.

I've read somewhere that the rail pass needs to be purchased prior to arrival in Japan. Is that necessary?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:33 pm

... I've read somewhere that the rail pass needs to be purchased prior to arrival in Japan. Is that necessary?
That is true for the whole-country 7- and 14-day Rail Passes but not for the Kansai Wide Area Pass. You can purchase it at the JR Office at KIX after you arrive.

http://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/tr...s/kansai_wide/
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:48 am

We're looking to plan a day trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima next month, using a JR Pass (splitting 8 days and 7 nights between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka).

I spent a couple of hours on HyperDia and found only two Hikari trains going from Kyoto to Hiroshima, both before 9 am (train 491 and 493). Everything else appears to be Nozomi. Does that sound right or am I searching wrong? Similarly, for the return trip there don't appear to be any non-Nozomi trains available for a direct trip back to Kyoto, and instead we have to take the Sakura through Shin-Osaka. Is that true as well, or is there some way to search that I'm missing?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by silentbob1974
... I spent a couple of hours on HyperDia and found only two Hikari trains going from Kyoto to Hiroshima, both before 9 am (train 491 and 493). Everything else appears to be Nozomi. Does that sound right or am I searching wrong? Similarly, for the return trip there don't appear to be any non-Nozomi trains available for a direct trip back to Kyoto, and instead we have to take the Sakura through Shin-Osaka. Is that true as well, or is there some way to search that I'm missing?
There are a couple of not-obvious tricks to using Hyperdia when planning Rail Pass trips. Be sure to click the "Details" link on the first page and uncheck the selection for "Mizuho/Nozomi/Hayabusa." That will limit the search to trains you can ride with the Rail Pass. For more information, you can also use the results page and select the "Intervals" link to see only the schedule for the specific trains you are interested in.

All that said, it is true that most trips from Kyoto to Hiroshima require a connection at either Shin-Osaka, Shin-Kobe or Himeji, with the majority at Shin-Osaka. It is not a difficult change as all the shinkansens arrive and depart at the same part of the station. Often you will be using the same platform or one very nearby. If you look closely at the Hyperdia results, they will often list the exact platform used.

The train connections from Kyoto are a lot like hub-and-spoke air connections in the US. I can't get anywhere from my regional airport without connecting somewhere either.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by silentbob1974
... I spent a couple of hours on HyperDia and found only two Hikari trains going from Kyoto to Hiroshima, both before 9 am (train 491 and 493). Everything else appears to be Nozomi. Does that sound right or am I searching wrong? Similarly, for the return trip there don't appear to be any non-Nozomi trains available for a direct trip back to Kyoto, and instead we have to take the Sakura through Shin-Osaka. Is that true as well, or is there some way to search that I'm missing?
There are a couple of not-obvious tricks to using Hyperdia when planning Rail Pass trips. Be sure to click the "Details" link on the first page and uncheck the selection for "Mizuho/Nozomi/Hayabusa." That will limit the search to trains you can ride with the Rail Pass. For more information, you can also use the results page and select the "Intervals" link to see only the schedule for the specific trains you are interested in.

All that said, it is true that most trips from Kyoto to Hiroshima require a connection at either Shin-Osaka, Shin-Kobe or Himeji, with the majority at Shin-Osaka. It is not a difficult change as all the shinkansens arrive and depart at the same part of the station. Often you will be using the same platform or one very nearby.

The train connections from Kyoto are a lot like hub-and-spoke air connections in the US. I can't get anywhere from my regional airport without connecting somewhere either. In this case, Shin-Osaka is the "hub."
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Well at HNL getting ready to board for KIX. Looking like an early arrival so any good places I can go in Osaka before heading to the hotel (for pictures)? Looking like Osaka Castle and possibly some street shots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.