Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 way Tokyo-Kyoto on Bullet Train??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

1 way Tokyo-Kyoto on Bullet Train??

Is it possible to find a 1 way ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto? I've been Googling for months and all I can find is the pass.
Also from Kyoto to Osaka is the best option the Special Rapid Service the best option? We're staying at the Marriott in Osaka. Thoughts on things to do in Osaka? Thanks!!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by TravelBabe0415
Is it possible to find a 1 way ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto? I've been Googling for months and all I can find is the pass.
Also from Kyoto to Osaka is the best option the Special Rapid Service the best option? We're staying at the Marriott in Osaka. Thoughts on things to do in Osaka? Thanks!!
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Googling for months?

Yes, all normal bullet train tickets are 1-way. The easiest way is to buy it at the station just before departure. There are several trains each hour from Tokyo to Kyoto.

Yes, the JR Special Rapid Service is a great way to go between Kyoto and Osaka. It takes about 30 minutes and there are several throughout the day.

Yes, lots of things to do in Osaka. You might want to look at some tourist web sites first to get some ideas. It's a big place.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Welcome to Flyer Talk.

One easy way to find train routings, times and fares in Japan is via the HyperDia travel tool. Just enter departure station, destination, time and approximate date. For Tokyo Station to Kyoto Station we find that the trip on the Nozomi shinkansen (bullet train) leaves several times per hour, takes approximately 138 minutes (2 hours 18 minutes) and costs about 13,910 JPY.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

If your question is about purchasing tickets ahead of time, before getting there, don't bother trying. It is not really possible, nor is it necessary. Just buy your ticket at a Japan Rail Station after you get to Japan. If I already know what trains I want for the first few days, I prefer to buy them at the JR Travel Center at the airport rail center immediately after I arrive.

There is a ton of information on-line about visiting Osaka. Here is a start:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/osaka/

It looks like the Marriott is right next to Tennoji Station in Osaka. That will involve at least one connection to get to Kyoto unless you have some form of Rail Pass. With a Kansai Area Pass, you can ride the airport express "Haruka" direct from Tennoji to Kyoto. Without a Rail Pass, it will be cheaper to take the subway to Umeda-Osaka, walk over to the JR Osaka Station and take the Rapid from there. You can find these and other routings on Hyperdia.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Feb 10, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great advice there from abmj-jr. When nishimark says there are "several" JR special rapid trains throughout the day, the term possibly has a different meaning than it would elsewhere -- for much of the day there are trains every 15 minutes in each direction.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Great advice there from abmj-jr. When nishimark says there are "several" JR special rapid trains throughout the day, the term possibly has a different meaning than it would elsewhere -- for much of the day there are trains every 15 minutes in each direction.
Good point. In addition to the special rapid trains that leave every 15 minutes, there are express trains that take a few more stops leaving several times each hour. My point was that getting between Kyoto and Osaka is easy. From Tennoji, maybe a bit more work. Next time I'll try to be more informative.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by nishimark
Good point. In addition to the special rapid trains that leave every 15 minutes, there are express trains that take a few more stops leaving several times each hour. My point was that getting between Kyoto and Osaka is easy. From Tennoji, maybe a bit more work. Next time I'll try to be more informative.
I think there's the Kansai Limited Express train and (fairly infrequent) Wakayama Limited Express that goes to Tennoji directly from Kyoto.

If you are otherwise departing from Kyoto near Shijo / Arashiyama area, you should take Hankyu line with (with some train connected to Osaka metro) that goes directly to downtown Osaka.

http://www.kotsu.city.osaka.lg.jp/li...subway/map.pdf
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA, NW
Shinkansen trains run so frequently between Tokyo and Kyoto (i.e. several times an hour) that there is no need to make advance reservations unless you are going to be traveling during a standard vacation period, such as Golden Week (the first week in May).

Unlike airlines or British trains, advance purchase offers no price advantage. You pay the same price whether you buy your ticket a week in advance or five minutes before the train leaves.

The Shinkansen and some other trains differentiate reserved seats (shi-tei-seki) from non-reserved seats (ji-yuu-seki), and the reserved seats are only slightly more expensive than the non-reserved ones. However, if it's a light travel period (midday during the week) I don't bother with a reserved seat.

Note also that there are smoking and non-smoking cars on express trains. When I first went to Japan in the 1970s, almost all the cars allowed smoking. Now the opposite is true, and most cars are non-smoking, and as I recall, the Narita Express and the Keisei Skyliner are all non-smoking.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by ksandness
Shinkansen trains run so frequently between Tokyo and Kyoto (i.e. several times an hour) that there is no need to make advance reservations unless you are going to be traveling during a standard vacation period, such as Golden Week (the first week in May).

Unlike airlines or British trains, advance purchase offers no price advantage. You pay the same price whether you buy your ticket a week in advance or five minutes before the train leaves.

The Shinkansen and some other trains differentiate reserved seats (shi-tei-seki) from non-reserved seats (ji-yuu-seki), and the reserved seats are only slightly more expensive than the non-reserved ones. However, if it's a light travel period (midday during the week) I don't bother with a reserved seat.

Note also that there are smoking and non-smoking cars on express trains. When I first went to Japan in the 1970s, almost all the cars allowed smoking. Now the opposite is true, and most cars are non-smoking, and as I recall, the Narita Express and the Keisei Skyliner are all non-smoking.
Yes NEX and Skyliner are all no smoking. All Shinkansen are no smoking but some have smoking rooms.

I never book Shinkansen, just roll up, only exception would be around major start and end of Obon or New year.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:40 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Thank you everyone, for such detailed information. I was about to start a new thread... but, it looks like all of my questions have been answered. I have been using the HyperDia website, and I "think" I understand my best route, but wanted to confirm :

Arrive on KLM861 at 09:25AM
(Terminal 1 North Wing)

12:19 NARITA EXPRESS 22 (63 minutes)
13:22 arrive SHINAGAWA
13:37 SHINKANSEN NOZOMI 37 (133 minutes)
15:50 KYOTO

Since it seems that I should not bother with trying to purchase tickets in advance, I'll just do it at the airport. Is the above the most efficient routing? With an arrival of 09:25 I'm figuring that even with checked bags I should be able to "catch" a train prior to the example above. Quite frankly, not purchasing in advance (what a relief) makes it easier for me when I arrive, since I do not have to "guess" on a departure time. FWIW, this is next week mid-week; so I'm assuming there is no issue with crowds/travel mid-day.

My only other quick question, is upon arrival at KYOTO what is the most efficient means of getting to the Ritz Carlton Kyoto. I am assuming taxi? (Uber?).
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by baccarat_king

My only other quick question, is upon arrival at KYOTO what is the most efficient means of getting to the Ritz Carlton Kyoto. I am assuming taxi? (Uber?).
doesnt the RC offer a free shuttle. When I was in Kyoto I stayed at The Westin ( a couple of yrs ago) and as I waited for it to come (after finally finding where its stop is). I saw almost every Hotel vans come by. It reminded me of LAX. If in a rush or you see it pulled away I can see grabbing a cab

Wow I just looked at the RC site and no mention of any shuttle, even the Hyatt had one as did the Westin which is alittle further away then the RC is. Hope the others dont follow suit

Last edited by craz; Feb 13, 2015 at 1:27 am
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Is the above the most efficient routing? With an arrival of 09:25
Yes. It's the route with the least hassle. (Taking the Skyliner to Nippori might work out faster but it involves an extra change of trains). You will certainly be able to catch an earlier train.
At Kyoto station, I would just exit the station on the north (Karasuma Street) side and take a taxi from there.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:40 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by craz
Wow I just looked at the RC site and no mention of any shuttle, even the Hyatt had one as did the Westin which is alittle further away then the RC is. Hope the others dont follow suit
If my memory serves me, the last Ritz Carlton I stayed at was Central Park in NYC. I do not recall a shuttle at this property. I don't believe shuttles (airport/train) are standard at Ritz Carlton properties. They often have "house cars," but in many cases there is a charge for those services.

Originally Posted by jib71
Yes. It's the route with the least hassle. (Taking the Skyliner to Nippori might work out faster but it involves an extra change of trains). You will certainly be able to catch an earlier train.
At Kyoto station, I would just exit the station on the north (Karasuma Street) side and take a taxi from there.
Much thanks, was a "bit" worried about coordinating this from NRT, but it seems that it's really not that bad of a transit from NRT-Kyoto.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... Much thanks, was a "bit" worried about coordinating this from NRT, but it seems that it's really not that bad of a transit from NRT-Kyoto.
Yes, Shinagawa will be easier to navigate. You can also do the transfer at Tokyo Station and the JR agent who sells your tickets may try to route you through there but Tokyo is MUCH larger, more convoluted and difficult to navigate. Just tell them you want Shinagawa if they try.

I think you will be able to catch an earlier train, even with luggage. Your listed itinerary will be fine "if all else fails" but unless everything goes against you, I suspect you will be finished with Immigration, baggage claim, Customs and collecting money from ATM or exchange before 11:00 am. The Rail Center is downstairs in the basement. There is an escalator that is easy to find. Be sure to select the ticket office for Japan Rail or JR rather than the Keisei. They are near each other but clearly marked.

Are you returning to Tokyo after Kyoto? Or perhaps going elsewhere after seeing Kyoto? I ask because in that case, you may want to investigate the Japan Rail Pass, which may or may not save some money.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Yes, Shinagawa will be easier to navigate. You can also do the transfer at Tokyo Station and the JR agent who sells your tickets may try to route you through there but Tokyo is MUCH larger, more convoluted and difficult to navigate. Just tell them you want Shinagawa if they try.

I think you will be able to catch an earlier train, even with luggage. Your listed itinerary will be fine "if all else fails" but unless everything goes against you, I suspect you will be finished with Immigration, baggage claim, Customs and collecting money from ATM or exchange before 11:00 am. The Rail Center is downstairs in the basement. There is an escalator that is easy to find. Be sure to select the ticket office for Japan Rail or JR rather than the Keisei. They are near each other but clearly marked.
This. Just go to the JR ticket office down the escalator from the arrivals area after you exit immigration and ask for the next trip to Kyoto - NEX to Shinkansen, transferring at Shinagawa, and they'll fix you up. Shinagawa is MUCH easier to navigate than Toyko Station.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The main problem you might face is that I have often seen lines at the JR East pass office, if you are purchasing a JR pass. If you are just buying a regular ticket, which is what it sounds like, you can go to the regular ticket counter right next to the entrance gates. They take credit cards.

Make sure you get some Yen upstairs from the ATM machines before descending to the B1 ticketing/train level -- there are no ATMs on that level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.