Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Using suica

Using suica

Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by edweird
I stayed airside during my layover and could not find any of the vending machines or stores that would accept it.
Suica definitely works at a few places in T1 South Wing (the UA/ANA area), such as the drugstore and the FaSoLa electronics store.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by steve4031
Thank you. This technology is amazing to me. The United States are so far behind the rest of the world. It's a pain to buy a metro card in washington's metro. Credit card readers never work. Chicago its a crap shoot. Since I live in Chicago I can auto reload.
They don't have anything like this anywhere in America? I know Boston and Vancouver don't. Boston has Charlie Card, but it's only good on T unless things have changed in the last few yrs. What about NYC? What about Europe? I read that London has something like this, although I never bothered to get it on my visits there. I only really know Jpn and Hong Kong very well, and both places have it.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have the PRESTO card in the greater Toronto Area, which is valid on trains, buses, and some subways (and I think streetcars) across the region, with more systems being added in further away areas (Niagara etc.). You can't use it in convenience stores, but there has been discussion about this. Mine is set to automatically reload from my credit card, you can also top it up by credit, debit or cash at stations, and cards online.

In London, England, the Oyster card is similar - you can use it on a variety of transport, but again, I don't think you can use it at convenience stores.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by evergrn
They don't have anything like this anywhere in America?
Credit card companies are deeply entrenched in American market, and it seems like Visa PayWave/Master PayPass-based systems are in the works for public transportation payment systems.

For example, Chicago Transit Authority replaced their contactless Chicago Card with Ventra Card. Ventra cards may optionally work as a prepaid debit card; they can be used as credit card in stores.

NYC MTA is also in the process of replacing their magnetic MetroCards, and looks like they will go with the same system. The implementer for both systems are the same company: Cubic Transportation.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:54 am
formerly known as ravishah

Originally Posted by emma69
In London, England, the Oyster card is similar - you can use it on a variety of transport, but again, I don't think you can use it at convenience stores.
True but a lot of places are starting to accept the wireless payment that is pretty common in many new credit and debit cards. Think it is limited to 20 per transaction at the moment but I use it pretty much all the time.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ravishah
True but a lot of places are starting to accept the wireless payment that is pretty common in many new credit and debit cards. Think it is limited to 20 per transaction at the moment but I use it pretty much all the time.
We have contactless payment, up to $100 here in Canada - it is pretty much everywhere now, makes my life much easier, to the point I feel put out if I actually have to enter my PIN!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by edweird
On my first trip I used it for train fare as well as buying food and beer on the train. I might have used it in a convenience store.
On Narita Express, cart vending will be gone soon.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...st-trains.html

On trains which accept IC card payment, you can request a receipt.
Handy printer picture ->
https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2007_2/20080301.pdf
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by msb0b
Credit card companies are deeply entrenched in American market, and it seems like Visa PayWave/Master PayPass-based systems are in the works for public transportation payment systems.

For example, Chicago Transit Authority replaced their contactless Chicago Card with Ventra Card. Ventra cards may optionally work as a prepaid debit card; they can be used as credit card in stores.

NYC MTA is also in the process of replacing their magnetic MetroCards, and looks like they will go with the same system. The implementer for both systems are the same company: Cubic Transportation.
I'd never heard of Ventra card, but that's interesting to hear because that does seem a little bit like Octopus/Suica/Pasmo if it can be used for both public transport and retail.

List of "smart cards":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smart_cards

I live in SEA, and I've never even heard of Orca Card. I bet most of these cards aren't even really widespread and most are for trains/buses only.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:21 pm

T-money in Seoul can also be used on public transportation and convenience stores.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-money

There are a few transportation systems which accept EMV contactless credit cards. I think London Transport is one of them?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:16 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I have the ICOCA IC Card which I bought from Osaka.

All IC cards in Japan have been integrated. Since you have SUICA, you can use it in Osaka as well or other parts of Japan.
However, you can't use these cards for cross regional travel, e.g. Shizuoka to Tokyo.

Originally Posted by emma69
The main difference between Oyster and Suica (and other Japanese IC cards) is the former offers substantially discounted fares while the latter is simply for convenience (with the exception of a few yens rounded up to the nearest 10 yen on conventional tickets but not charged if using IC cards).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:08 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

What is the minimum amount konbini will let you add to Suica? Do the lopi machines let you add value too?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The main difference between Oyster and Suica (and other Japanese IC cards) is the former offers substantially discounted fares
Well, I suppose you could describe it like that. From my perspective, Oyster is just enabling you to avoid the obscene gouging that you'll be subjected to if you buy a paper ticket. And, in fact, it's the ONLY currency that you can use on a London bus now. (Cash fares for buses have been eliminated).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 7:46 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Suica is so amazing I've opted to get a Suica credit card.
It auto charges at the gates when the balance falls below a preset limit.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: JGC Premier (OWE)
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
What is the minimum amount konbini will let you add to Suica? Do the lopi machines let you add value too?
It may depend on the particular chain, but as a point of reference, Family Mart lets you charge any of the following 4 possible amounts: 1000, 3000, 5000 or 10000.

Originally Posted by joejones
There are a few exceptions: Sendai, Hiroshima, Toyama, Kagoshima and Kumamoto. Suica works on JR in [some?/most?/all?] of these places but not on the private/municipal lines.
There are quite a few train lines throughout Japan, including JR, where IC cards are still unsupported. For example, in the greater Tokyo area, Suica and other IC cards are unsupported on the Kururi line (Chiba), the Kashima line (Chiba/Ibaraki), the Karasuyama line (Tochigi) as well as a few other stations on otherwise supported lines. For the most part, this is unlikely to incovenience tourists, but there are a few exceptions (a place like Takeo onsen in Saga has some popularity among Korean tourists, say).
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:17 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Using suica

Fuji-Q express also doesn't take suica at Otsuki. You have to pay in cash for tickets.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.