Please Help On My First Trip to Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Help On My First Trip to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If you have a JR Rail Pass, it won't cost you anything to ride those JR trains. With the Rail Pass, you don't pay extra for seat reservations. The shinkansen is the best choice if you don't have to pay for it.

If this segment will fall outside your 7-day Rail Pass, then you need to balance cost versus time. Unless you are in a real hurry, it seems to me that the local line is a lot cheaper. Just be aware that at that time of morning, the local trains will be filled with commuters and won't have luggage space so you will have to keep it with you.

I don't really have an idea about how busy the trains are to Hakone. I avoid the place.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
If you have a JR Rail Pass, it won't cost you anything to ride those JR trains. With the Rail Pass, you don't pay extra for seat reservations. The shinkansen is the best choice if you don't have to pay for it.

If this segment will fall outside your 7-day Rail Pass, then you need to balance cost versus time. Unless you are in a real hurry, it seems to me that the local line is a lot cheaper. Just be aware that at that time of morning, the local trains will be filled with commuters and won't have luggage space so you will have to keep it with you.

I don't really have an idea about how busy the trains are to Hakone. I avoid the place.
I won't buy JR Rail Pass , only buy JR Hokkaido Rail Pass since I just in Japan on March 31-April 6. With March 31-April 2 being in Hakone and have to buy Hakone Freepass in order to navigate there since they don't accept JR Pass for transportation around Hakone. Will be flying to Hokkaido. In Hokkaido April 2-6 so Hokkaido 3 Days Rail Pass is useful here.
I almost forgot how full the train during rush hour. Thanks for reminding me. I guess I'll take Shinkansen then, don't want my mom to stand and get pushed there and here by commuters.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joykid
I won't buy JR Rail Pass , only buy JR Hokkaido Rail Pass since I just in Japan on March 31-April 6. With March 31-April 2 being in Hakone and have to buy Hakone Freepass in order to navigate there since they don't accept JR Pass for transportation around Hakone. Will be flying to Hokkaido. In Hokkaido April 2-6 so Hokkaido 3 Days Rail Pass is useful here.
I almost forgot how full the train during rush hour. Thanks for reminding me. I guess I'll take Shinkansen then, don't want my mom to stand and get pushed there and here by commuters.
If we only stay 1 day in Tokyo, but will have to make a roundtrip trip from Tokyo to NRT airport, it is advisable to get JR Rail Pass 7 days?
We will spend 2 days in Hakone, and 4 days in Hakodate. I am thinking of Hokkaido JR Pass but factoring the keisei skyliner roundtrip from and to NRT airport and also Shinkansen from Shinagawa - Odawara roundtrip, maybe it's worth it and cheaper to buy JR Rail Pass 7 days than Hokkaido Rail Pass 3 days?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:55 pm

If we only stay 1 day in Tokyo, but will have to make a roundtrip trip from Tokyo to NRT airport, it is advisable to get JR Rail Pass 7 days?
We will spend 2 days in Hakone, and 4 days in Hakodate. I am thinking of Hokkaido JR Pass but factoring the keisei skyliner roundtrip from and to NRT airport and also Shinkansen from Shinagawa - Odawara roundtrip, maybe it's worth it and cheaper to buy JR Rail Pass 7 days than Hokkaido Rail Pass 3 days?
I see that Hokkaido 3-day pass is 16,500yen.
If you were to use JR roundtrip to/from Odawara (including shinkansen btwn Shinagawa-Odawara), that's roughly 6,000yen. Keisei Skyliner is not JR, so you can't use JR Pass for it... but this is besides the point for what I'm trying to say here. In any case, let's say that Tokyo-NRT round-trip has 5,000yen value (which is how much it costs to ride Skyliner return). So then Hokkaido 3-day pass + the aforementioned train tix will add up to 27,500yen. Additionally, you may take a few rides on local JR trains here and there within Tokyo, but you don't have much time in Tokyo anyways and travelling on JR Yamanote is fairly cheap.

7-day Jpn Rail pass is 29,100yen. So it's pretty much a wash. But the aforementioned 27,500y will be ~26,000y if you took Romance Car from Hakone to Tokyo instead.

I would only get the Jpn Rail pass if you know for sure you're going to out-travel its value. So I wouldn't get it if I were you. Of course, that assumes you really only need the 3-day Hokkaido pass and not the 4-day one.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:02 am

If we only stay 1 day in Tokyo, but will have to make a roundtrip trip from Tokyo to NRT airport, it is advisable to get JR Rail Pass 7 days? ...
No. There have been so many threads flying around here that I lost track of your situation. With your plan to go straight from NRT to Hakone and then fly to and from Hokkaido, the 7-day Rail Pass probably does not make economic sense.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
I see that Hokkaido 3-day pass is 16,500yen.
If you were to use JR roundtrip to/from Odawara (including shinkansen btwn Shinagawa-Odawara), that's roughly 6,000yen. Keisei Skyliner is not JR, so you can't use JR Pass for it... but this is besides the point for what I'm trying to say here. In any case, let's say that Tokyo-NRT round-trip has 5,000yen value (which is how much it costs to ride Skyliner return). So then Hokkaido 3-day pass + the aforementioned train tix will add up to 27,500yen. Additionally, you may take a few rides on local JR trains here and there within Tokyo, but you don't have much time in Tokyo anyways and travelling on JR Yamanote is fairly cheap.

7-day Jpn Rail pass is 29,100yen. So it's pretty much a wash. But the aforementioned 27,500y will be ~26,000y if you took Romance Car from Hakone to Tokyo instead.

I would only get the Jpn Rail pass if you know for sure you're going to out-travel its value. So I wouldn't get it if I were you. Of course, that assumes you really only need the 3-day Hokkaido pass and not the 4-day one.
No. There have been so many threads flying around here that I lost track of your situation. With your plan to go straight from NRT to Hakone and then fly to and from Hokkaido, the 7-day Rail Pass probably does not make economic sense.
Thanks a lot for the advice. After thinking on your suggestion, I agree with you, we only spend 1 day in Tokyo before go to Hokkaido so it’s not worth it to get JR Rail Pass 7 days. I just bought the exchange order for the Hokkaido Rail Pass 3 days.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Need your help on best itinerary in Hakodate. Will arrive at Chitose on April 2 at 0900 am. Then plan to go straight to Hakodate. So maybe arrive in Hakodate around lunch time or afternoon? go to hotel, check in, put on our luggage, then we ready to go out. We stay 2 nights in Hakodate, so on April 4 we go back to Sapporo. When we arrive on April 2, it maybe already evening time so any recommendation of where to go? maybe see the famous night view from the mountain that require to take cable car to get there?
On next morning for sure is Asa ichi and Goryokaku, not sure if Sakura already blooming at that time, but we plan to enjoy the scenery.
Any other recommendation? appreciate any advice on itinerary by day and time...thank you!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:50 pm

Hi guys,

Need your help on best itinerary in Hakodate. Will arrive at Chitose on April 2 at 0900 am. Then plan to go straight to Hakodate. So maybe arrive in Hakodate around lunch time or afternoon? go to hotel, check in, put on our luggage, then we ready to go out. We stay 2 nights in Hakodate, so on April 4 we go back to Sapporo. When we arrive on April 2, it maybe already evening time so any recommendation of where to go? maybe see the famous night view from the mountain that require to take cable car to get there?
On next morning for sure is Asa ichi and Goryokaku, not sure if Sakura already blooming at that time, but we plan to enjoy the scenery.
Any other recommendation? appreciate any advice on itinerary by day and time...thank you!
The first thing in the morning, before anything else, is the morning market located near Hakodate Station. It is good for a wander about, taking in the various things for sale. If you are into seafood, you can get a great seafood and rice meal at any of the little sidewalk cafes right in the market area. The market closes up mid-morning and will be a ghost town in the afternoon.

Didn't I already answer this back on the first page of this thread? There was a whole list of things to do and see in Hakodate. Surely you are not expecting us to plan out your days for you hour by hour!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The first thing in the morning, before anything else, is the morning market located near Hakodate Station. It is good for a wander about, taking in the various things for sale. If you are into seafood, you can get a great seafood and rice meal at any of the little sidewalk cafes right in the market area. The market closes up mid-morning and will be a ghost town in the afternoon.
Of all the dozens of the sidewalk cafes, Uni Murakami stands head and shoulders above all of them. It'll make you cry.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Didn't I already answer this back on the first page of this thread? There was a whole list of things to do and see in Hakodate. Surely you are not expecting us to plan out your days for you hour by hour!
Thanks. Yes you did , I am just concerned since I just realized we will arrive there at evening on first day....so I am just confuse how to maximize the first day which is not really all day but half day tour....maybe we only can see hakodate night view...if so, is it worth it to buy day pass?
Next day in the morning for sure we will visit asa ichi and the place you recommended before.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Of all the dozens of the sidewalk cafes, Uni Murakami stands head and shoulders above all of them. It'll make you cry.
How do I find Uni Murakami in Asa ichi? do you have the picture of it, please
Old Mar 28, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
I'm a rather shy person so I tend to disguise my intentions. For example, if I want an extra main course, I might pretend to be using the request as a pretext for flirting with the flight attendant.
I am also a shy person actually. Can you please share some advice how to flirt with FA without making them uncomfortable? Did you speak in japanese or english? I speak basic conversational japanese since I studied it before.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
How do I find Uni Murakami in Asa ichi? do you have the picture of it, please
No, you'll have to learn the secret handshake first.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

LOL ok *secret handshake *
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

So how to find it? Please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.