Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sending whisky to Japan - taxes?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Sending whisky to Japan - taxes?

Hi - I'd like to send a bottle of whisky to a colleague of mine in Japan as a present. Do you know if he will be stung by any import duties? I've tried to find information about this on the Japan customs website but there doesn't seem to be any information about it!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:28 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by dhct
Hi - I'd like to send a bottle of whisky to a colleague of mine in Japan as a present. Do you know if he will be stung by any import duties? I've tried to find information about this on the Japan customs website but there doesn't seem to be any information about it!
If you're just sending a bottle or other small amount, the "Simplified Tariff Schedule on Small Packages" should apply: http://www.customs.go.jp/english/summary/tariff.htm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
So how would the sender pay the taxes, duties from the country where he is sending it from? Ie: USA, UK, Canada.

Or is the receiver going to have to pay?

If I am sending a gift, it's not much of a gift if the recipient has to pay, regardless of amount.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Or is the receiver going to have to pay?

If I am sending a gift, it's not much of a gift if the recipient has to pay, regardless of amount.
Yes, but in this case, the tax is 20 yen/litter, so I think they won't collect it. Reason: cost> tax.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by O Sora
Yes, but in this case, the tax is 20 yen/litter, so I think they won't collect it. Reason: cost> tax.
They most likely won't collect tax if it is sent by a method that uses Japan Post to deliver.

If it goes by a courier, DHL or Fedex Japan might try to pass on the duty charge, plus an inspection and admin fee to the recipient, either on delivery or by numerous demanding letters/postcards over the next few months. If sending by courier and have an account with them, you should be able to prepay the duty and avoid the possibility of fees for the recipient.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Indeed, FedEx Japan shook me down for duty on a single bottle of whiskey once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.