Tokyo and Japan itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:50 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
True, starting first thing in the morning would be the way to go if you decide to go to Himeji.
I can see the point of visiting the castle - it's really worth a visit in its own right. If the OP decides that's on his must see list (and I can understand that it would be), then I agree.

To call Hiroshima bland and suggest that Himeji is less bland is not a logistical point, though ... I don't know why people invent spurious reasons to support their points of view on FT.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jib71
To call Hiroshima bland and suggest that Himeji is less bland is not a logistical point, though ... I don't know why people invent spurious reasons to support their points of view on FT.
I'm not suggesting anything... I find Hiroshima bland, that's what I stated. Frankly I couldn't care less if you agree or not, it's still my opinion. I don't get the attack either
Himeji probably isn't that different, but it's closer to where the OP intends to go the next day.

Last edited by RTW1; Dec 8, 2014 at 2:04 am
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
when you are not staying at the Granvia you will also need some additional time to get to your hotel. Time that is wasted after a long day of traveling.
You have a point there, as I'm now noticing that the OP is staying at a hotel that's out of the way from Kyoto Station. Btw, Granvia is not the only hotel right near Kyoto Station.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 8:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by evergrn
Btw, Granvia is not the only hotel right near Kyoto Station.
I know, plenty of choice in all price ranges. And most are perfectly adequate if you only use the room for a quick stop. It's just that I normally consider the Granvia the most convenient and still of decent quality.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Hiroshima and Himeji Castle are absolute musts for us. Miyajima we could miss if time prevents (though I expect we will not have to miss it). It will be a full-on day but the following day, after Himeji, we can rest on the train and, as we are staying at the Tokyo Station Hotel, there is no major transfer hassle.

I am disappointed that Kozantei Ubuya in Fujikawaguchiko is unavailable. But it seems to be unavailable for all dates so I wonder if they have not opened up bookings yet? Konansou may be my second choice.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MaximusDecimusMeridius
I am disappointed that Kozantei Ubuya in Fujikawaguchiko is unavailable. But it seems to be unavailable for all dates so I wonder if they have not opened up bookings yet? Konansou may be my second choice.
It has been my experience that a lot of Japanese properties only show availability a few months before the reservation date. So make refundable booking somewhere else and keep checking. It also might be a good idea to contact Kozantei Ubuya directly.

Getting to Miyajima does take some time with the train and ferry. I found it rather touristy, but did enjoy it when most of the crowds were gone late in the day around sunset.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Originally Posted by RTW1
It has been my experience that a lot of Japanese properties only show availability a few months before the reservation date. So make refundable booking somewhere else and keep checking. It also might be a good idea to contact Kozantei Ubuya directly.
Thank you RTW1. I hadn't seen a website for the Kozantei Ubuya, only third party links, none of which had any availability. But searching online I located the website for the hotel and managed (after several failed attempts!) to book a room for the night we wanted. I decided to splurge big-time and get a suite with a private bathing pool and what appears to be fantastic views of the lake and Fuji-san (clouds permitting). I shall have to hide my credit card bill next month as this is the most expensive room I have ever booked, but it is going to create life-long memories so I figured it is worth it

Thanks for the suggestion to book direct. Staying there will be a great finale to our Japan tour ^

So our finalised itinerary (I think) is Tokyo (4 nights) with one day trip to Kamakura-Takayama 2 nights-Kyoto 4 nights with day trip to Nara-Hiroshima 1 night-Tokyo 1 night-Fujikawaguchiko 1 night-Tokyo 1 night.

A great first trip to Japan I hope.

Last edited by MaximusDecimusMeridius; Dec 9, 2014 at 10:36 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sounds very nice. And remember, at least that's how I sold it to myself, the room rate does come with a "free" dinner and breakfast for two :-).

Last edited by RTW1; Dec 9, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.