Earthquake hits Hakuba, Nagano

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM

Last night a relatively big earthquake hit Hakuba village in Nagano Prefeture and its vicininity. It destroyed some buildings. Hakuba is a popular ski resort. Pictures here.

http://www.asahi.com/articles/photo/...123000505.html

Earlier this year, Nagano saw an eruption of Mt. Ontake , which killed 57. Looks like volcanic and seismic activity level is higher than usual now. Be careful and safe travels.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reports I saw said the earthquake was a 6.2.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Some travel updates:
http://www.japan-guide.com/news/0032.html
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The reports I saw said the earthquake was a 6.2.
6.7. More importantly a 6-, third highest of ten levels on the Japanese scale, at its most impactful point.

Fortunately no deaths reported as of yet.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:41 pm

We actually felt the quake. We were in Tokyo at the time, and about 10 o'clock in the evening our hotel started moving side to side. First time I've ever experienced a quake. I think in Tokyo it was somewhere around a 3.0.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by phodg
We actually felt the quake. We were in Tokyo at the time, and about 10 o'clock in the evening our hotel started moving side to side. First time I've ever experienced a quake. I think in Tokyo it was somewhere around a 3.0.
You are confusing the Richter scale with Japanese seismic scale at a location away from the epi-center based on peak ground acceleration. You can see the latter from the map above where it was 3 in parts of Tokyo. And 3 is not a big deal, especially if you lived in Kanto in 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_M...ntensity_scale

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.