Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Is it really cheaper to visit Japan now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Rail passes definitely are a better deal now--we paid around $75 less than we did three years ago (which was pretty much the height of suck for us $-denominated folks).
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
I've chosen not to reply but wanted to thank mkjr for elaborating on the AVIOS tip (I thought they were near useless and hadn't considered redeeming them for Japan domestic flights).
Isn't that remarkable, learning something new on a thread even if you don't reply to the original OP question. Flyertalk is quite useful ain't it?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Epiphanies all round!
Indeed. <redacted>

As for everyone else, thanks for the useful replies. Most illuminating and helpful for for my upcoming Japan trip.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 15, 2014 at 7:14 am Reason: ad hominem not allowed
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WindowSeat123
Flyertalk is quite useful ain't it?
Thanks to stalwarts such as jib71 - yes. Often, the answers we need aren't the ones we look for, or the ones we want.

He's also one of the few who will patiently and diligently keep at it when those unwelcome answers come in, providing meaningful and reliable assistance in working around the bad news.

Last edited by LapLap; Nov 15, 2014 at 1:31 am Reason: Was interrupted
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:36 am

Often, the answers we need aren't the ones we look for, or the ones we want.
Had a fortune cookie yesterday that said something similar to this.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Often, the answers we need aren't the ones we look for, or the ones we want.
Heard this on the radio the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S94ohyErSw
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation

Let's try to bank down some of the snark and comments about other members, trying to argue topics like economics, ad hominem etc. and try to keep our focus on the topic: Is it really cheaper to visit Japan now?

We have the opportunity to share with those contemplating to visit Japan some genuinely useful information, doing what we do best on FlyerTalk: share our experiences and knowledge, and our varied perspectives, respectfully.

Thanks,

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: FT
Thanks to mkjr, I am now aware that AVIOS are valuable when redeeming for domestic Japan flights. Information that I and my Japanese family can profit from. I learnt something.

AVIOS suck for short haul flights ex-London. You've learnt something.

I'm taking my daughter to celebrate the Epiphany with my Spanish family in Alcoy and our return flights are 40GBP/50EUR/60USD each all in... AND I don't have to fly with Iberia. I love London.
happy to be of assistance. now, that said, i found out the hard way that staying at the granvia in kyoto but flying ITM to HND but then staying at the shangri la, is a lot of going out of the way to save...$$$....[and if i was able to get a rail pass, i would have taken the train for sure....but i did not have a pass...] but for 3 people, it was a decent savings. there is also a tip over on the JAL forum where you will even be able to book your seats online with avios bookings.

i am still furious about BAEC screwing us in the US for far east trips in J that resulted in these deals...

what is also good about them is being able to book them at the last minute and/or cancel them at the last minute. [also, domestic flights on QF are deals and booking J on a short segment out of SYD to get access to the J lounge at SYD on the domestic side after you are stuck on a flight that does not have arrival lounge access can be a worthwhile throw away flight for those who are avios rich...]
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Japan is still an expensive country even when with the drop in currency.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lcpteck

Can you post your price comparisons ? Singapore certainly wasn't cheap when I was last there a few months ago !
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:53 pm

Based on the week I just spent there I must disagree. With the exception of one night, my hotels were $50 US or less per night, and my meals were not expensive, including dinner & drinks for 3 at an izakaya for less than $85 US.

Yes, I could have spent a lot more on hotels, meals, and other things, but the current exchange rate makes Japan a relative bargain compared with many other places in my opinion.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's all relative.... but Japan is hardly expensive compared from a US perspective, or if you compare it to most of Europe.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Hmmm..just came back from 16 days in Japan...it was cheaper to me than a recent vacation in Virginia. (other than the flight, obviously)
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

$1US:118 yen;-)
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
They don't have hawker centers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.