Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Is it really cheaper to visit Japan now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it really cheaper to visit Japan now?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:53 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Single-room accomodations can be rather cheap for a country generally considered to be expensive. For Tokyo at least, Minami Senju - just a couple of stops away from a tourist trail locale (Akiba) has rooms for as low as ~¥2800-3000. Shared bathroom, sure, but clean and not too far from the same konbini as any other hotel.

Weekly Mansions were a step up from that, but it seems they have all rebranded (prices have gone up).

Capsule hotels might be another option...but this is usually just for males.

However, accomodations aren't what makes Japan expensive for me. Food takes that crown.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
However, accomodations aren't what makes Japan expensive for me. Food takes that crown.
Agreed. ^
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm obviously missing something or misunderstanding.

Food is expensive in Japan when compared to dining out in which countries/areas of the world?

Personally, as someone who has often stayed in hotels for under 2,500yen a night, I have always been struck by how affordable good food can be in Japan.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lcpteck
They don't have hawker centers!
But they have supermarkets with stalls in the basement of large department stores -- often complete with people hawking and offering samples.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
I'm obviously missing something or misunderstanding.

Food is expensive in Japan when compared to dining out in which countries/areas of the world?

Personally, as someone who has often stayed in hotels for under 2,500yen a night, I have always been struck by how affordable good food can be in Japan.
It's not that food is expensive. It's that I want to try EVERYTHING!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: A3,BA
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
It's not that food is expensive. It's that I want to try EVERYTHING!
Come on BuildingMyBento...you know the tricks...
When others pay 5 figures for fugu we go to shimonoseki...
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I was in Japan as recently as this past summer. My most expensive meal was about ¥5,000, but that was my final event as the board member of a professional organization, so it was a special occasion prix fixe Italian dinner.

For everyday eating, I stuck to neighborhood eateries and department stores, where my most expensive dinner was about ¥2,000, which is not out of line for what one would pay to eat out in neighborhood restaurants in the States. Lunch was cheaper, between ¥800-¥1500 in neighborhood restaurants or coffee shop chains. Most of the hotels I stayed in offered a free breakfast of some sort, except for a minshuku in a small town, where I chose to go without meals, which was probably a mistake, because most places were closed for dinner. However, right across the street was an old-fashioned kissaten that sold "morning service," i.e. coffee, thickly sliced toast with butter and jam, a hard-boiled egg, and a tossed salad for about ¥700.

My point is that eating out in Japan is expensive if you eat in the maor Western-style hotels or in places that cater to the "businessmen's night out" crowd, but the little neighborhood restaurants are a great value. If you stick to places that have plastic models of the food in the windows, a picture menu posted outside, or a vending machine that sells meal tickets, you can easily control your spending.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by jousis
Then there are the discounts at depachika and supermarkets throughout the day...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jousis
Hey, wait..that was my trick..
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Exclamation Exchange rates (US$ - JP¥)

In December 2011, I was chewed up and spit out by a rough exchange rate of $1 = ¥78.4. And I did not bring enough cash with me. If you were following me on Twitter, you would have seen me using the hashtag "#reprieve" every time I hit a venue which accepted a credit card.
Compare that to today's exchange rate @ Daikokuya (which is where I recommend everybody exchange their money).
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by pudgym29
Compare that to today's exchange rate @ Daikokuya (which is where I recommend everybody exchange their money).
... and their origin of people, red snapper bahts.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
... and their origin of people, red snapper bahts.
Yes, it's snowy cricket relief!
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by pudgym29
In December 2011, I was chewed up and spit out by a rough exchange rate of $1 = ¥78.4. And I did not bring enough cash with me. If you were following me on Twitter, you would have seen me using the hashtag "#reprieve" every time I hit a venue which accepted a credit card.
Wow, excite.com is still alive?

117 yen = $1USD June 1, 2014 it was around 102 yen/$1

Hopefully it stays this way until my next trip
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:41 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Keep on topic and friendly

Reminder: visit post #52 again.

Further disruptive postings may cause users to temporarily lose posting privileges. If you don't care for a member personally, probably best to keep it to yourself...
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by rts123
Based on the week I just spent there I must disagree. With the exception of one night, my hotels were $50 US or less per night, and my meals were not expensive, including dinner & drinks for 3 at an izakaya for less than $85 US.

Yes, I could have spent a lot more on hotels, meals, and other things, but the current exchange rate makes Japan a relative bargain compared with many other places in my opinion.
This is also what I pay for modern and clean hotels in Japan particularly outside of Tokyo. I rarely spend more than $30.00 US per day for food, but that's mostly eating ramen. Breakfast usually included in hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.