Wiki Posts
Search

Thank you all so much for your advice!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your advice!

Just back from my 2.5 week trip to Japan and oh my goodness, it was amazing!

Thank you to all of you who made suggestions, gave me advice on language, food (vegetarian), etc. it really helped make my trip much easier and more enjoyable.

If I can help anyone else out with any questions they might have I am more than happy to do so - I stayed in Tokyo, Kyoto, Hakone, Koya-san, with various trips around and about on all manner of public transport.

And if anyone is thinking should I / shouldn't I go to Japan, do it! It wasn't super high on my to-see list, and without a work reason I probably wouldn't have gone any time soon, but it was one of the most amazing, magical places I have been to.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Great to hear. I leave Wednesday for a week of walking, riding local transport, and eating myself silly.

I cannot wait
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

David, you will have a blast! I did so much walking, to the point I learnt the Japanese for blister plasters!! In terms of public transport, I highly recommend an IC card (payment card). I used Suica, which was the widely available to purchase option in Tokyo (that also worked in Kyoto and other places). You load it up with cash, and can pay for your train, subway, bus tickets, and also pay for things in stores (coffee, etc). Saves hunting for change, or having to queue at the ticket machines. You can also create a personalized 'My Suica' card, which you have your name on.

If you are going to Kyoto, note that the IC cards don't work on the city buses, you need coins (or pre-pay a day's pass at the bus station).
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:12 am

Glad you had a great trip, emma69, and thanks for paying it forward! You will now be the designated forum ambassador to answer all the "is there anything to do in Tokyo?" threads.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pureboy
Glad you had a great trip, emma69, and thanks for paying it forward! You will now be the designated forum ambassador to answer all the "is there anything to do in Tokyo?" threads.
Sure, just as long as I am allowed to answer with one of the following:

1) No, absolutely nothing whatsoever
2) A detailed description of where to find McDonalds, Burger King and Wendy's

Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by emma69
If you are going to Kyoto, note that the IC cards don't work on the city buses, you need coins (or pre-pay a day's pass at the bus station).
IIRC Kyoto City buses may start accepting IC cards in December this year (?)
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
IIRC Kyoto City buses may start accepting IC cards in December this year (?)
That would certainly make life easier!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, just as long as I am allowed to answer with one of the following:

1) No, absolutely nothing whatsoever
We already had a serial contributor who was adamant that there was no need to spend more than 1.5 days in Tokyo, everything worth seeing could be visited in that time.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by LapLap
We already had a serial contributor who was adamant that there was no need to spend more than 1.5 days in Tokyo, everything worth seeing could be visited in that time.
Ah, phred, we miss you.

In a rather masochistic, self-flagelletory sort of way.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Ah, phred, we miss you.

In a rather masochistic, self-flagelletory sort of way.
With the recent "Yokohama" threads, I thought they were back !
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
With the recent "Yokohama" threads, I thought they were back !
That wasn't phred, that was phled. Different guy, even if in Japanese it sounds the same.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:35 pm

@emma69:
How did you cope from vegetarian standpoint? Did you feel like there were always enough meal options available?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evergrn
@emma69:
How did you cope from vegetarian standpoint? Did you feel like there were always enough meal options available?
I actually found it much better than I expected. The first hotel I stayed at (Shangri-La Tokyo) was fantastic, the staff made me a card in Japanese explaining what I did and didn't eat, and that was useful at a couple of places where I otherwise would have struggled to communicate. They also pointed out to me the options I could and couldn't eat in their restaurants, and were willing to make adjustments to other dishes so I could try them. Their F&B manager was a star!

Out and about, I found that people were a lot more aware of what being vegetarian meant that I thought would be the case. I asked several people throughout my trip if a particular food item was vegetarian (in Japanese) and not only did they point out if there was meat or fish, but also if there were eggs or cheese as well. The places I went for breakfast were especially good, pointing out where something I would have guessed as veggie had hidden meat or fish (e.g. the rice and egg bowl I thought sounded like a fine plan turned out to have fish in) but I managed to get toast and eggs easily, which I wasn't sure I would be able to do.

I did find a few restaurants where really nothing was terribly suitable (the udon restaurants, yakatori places, etc.), so settled for a bowl of plain rice (which they were more than happy to provide) and then hit a convenience store or bakery afterwards to supplement. The French breads were fantastic, and I found things like cheese, boiled eggs, salad items etc. readily available. I also 'cheated' a few times and ate at Indian and Italian restaurants, which were actually very good (I didn't have high expectations, but a pizza in Kyoto station was one of the best I have ever had, and as a serial pizza-eater in Italy, I don't say that lightly!!)

The ryokan, where I thought I was going to have serious problems (and I actually packed some emergency food just in case) proved to be exceptional. I asked the Shangri-La to call ahead for me, as they didn't speak English. The chef outdid himself. A full kaiseki meal, completely veggie, a huge assortment of tofu, seaweed based miso, several varieties of mushroom, tempura, fruits etc. I was so incredibly grateful that they made such an effort.

A highlight for me though was the temple stay in Koya-san, completely vegan food provided as part of the stay, so I knew everything was 'safe'. I had the most amazing tempura fig - I can't describe how amazing the flavor was, it was exceptional!

I loved trying some of the more unusual items, like lotus root, red bean creations, and some seaweed based items, even if not everything was to my taste (turns out I really am not a seaweed fan, and the texture of some items, such as the sesame-based tofu weren't my thing)

I think it would be quite hard being vegan in Japan, as I did end up eating quite a lot of eggs to get protein, and tofu wasn't nearly as abundant in veggie form as I thought it might (when it was present it was in meat or fishy things) but regular vegetarian was a lot easier than I was expecting.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Absolutely! Maccy D's for breakfast, BK for lunch, Hard Rock Café for your evening meal, then a 7-11 breakfast before getting the hell out of that funny foreign place!

How I managed to entertain myself for 10 days I will never know!
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:09 pm

I actually found it much better than I expected. The first hotel I stayed at (Shangri-La Tokyo) was fantastic, the staff made me a card in Japanese explaining what I did and didn't eat, and that was useful at a couple of places where I otherwise would have struggled to communicate. They also pointed out to me the options I could and couldn't eat in their restaurants, and were willing to make adjustments to other dishes so I could try them. Their F&B manager was a star!

Out and about, I found that people were a lot more aware of what being vegetarian meant that I thought would be the case. I asked several people throughout my trip if a particular food item was vegetarian (in Japanese) and not only did they point out if there was meat or fish, but also if there were eggs or cheese as well. The places I went for breakfast were especially good, pointing out where something I would have guessed as veggie had hidden meat or fish (e.g. the rice and egg bowl I thought sounded like a fine plan turned out to have fish in) but I managed to get toast and eggs easily, which I wasn't sure I would be able to do.

I did find a few restaurants where really nothing was terribly suitable (the udon restaurants, yakatori places, etc.), so settled for a bowl of plain rice (which they were more than happy to provide) and then hit a convenience store or bakery afterwards to supplement. The French breads were fantastic, and I found things like cheese, boiled eggs, salad items etc. readily available. I also 'cheated' a few times and ate at Indian and Italian restaurants, which were actually very good (I didn't have high expectations, but a pizza in Kyoto station was one of the best I have ever had, and as a serial pizza-eater in Italy, I don't say that lightly!!)

The ryokan, where I thought I was going to have serious problems (and I actually packed some emergency food just in case) proved to be exceptional. I asked the Shangri-La to call ahead for me, as they didn't speak English. The chef outdid himself. A full kaiseki meal, completely veggie, a huge assortment of tofu, seaweed based miso, several varieties of mushroom, tempura, fruits etc. I was so incredibly grateful that they made such an effort.

A highlight for me though was the temple stay in Koya-san, completely vegan food provided as part of the stay, so I knew everything was 'safe'. I had the most amazing tempura fig - I can't describe how amazing the flavor was, it was exceptional!

I loved trying some of the more unusual items, like lotus root, red bean creations, and some seaweed based items, even if not everything was to my taste (turns out I really am not a seaweed fan, and the texture of some items, such as the sesame-based tofu weren't my thing)

I think it would be quite hard being vegan in Japan, as I did end up eating quite a lot of eggs to get protein, and tofu wasn't nearly as abundant in veggie form as I thought it might (when it was present it was in meat or fishy things) but regular vegetarian was a lot easier than I was expecting.
That's great. Sounds like Shangri-la helped you out a lot. I was recently asked by a vegetarian about whether/not she would do fine in Jpn food-wise, and I said she'll survive but she won't have anywhere near the options that she does in US. Didn't even ask her if she was a vegan, which I guess would've been an important question. I'm in Jpn frequently, but it's still hard for me to know how to answer these questions because I don't have any restrictions and I never have to think about what I can/can't eat. So thank you for your insight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.