Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

High-End Restaurants that take reservations just 1 month ahead of time

Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

Unfortunately I've procrastinated my restaurant reservation planning until just now for a Dec 1 arrival to Tokyo. Does anyone know of any popular restaurants that take reservations just one month ahead of time? I am hoping to go to one of the high-end sushi restaurants like Saito and Sawada...but fear that that's all but hopeless at this point. No need for any international fare recommendations. I'm pretty much there to sample all the Japanese food that Japan has to offer.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on where you are staying, a concierge at your hotel may be able to help - they were able to help a colleague with a reservation for an otherwise sold out restaurant (I forget its name, sorry) a couple of weeks ago.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
I was able to use the Amex Platinum concierge service to score some reservations. Unfortunately, though, I was told that Saito was full for the year
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I was able to get a reservation at Sushi Iwa (one Michelin star) less than two weeks. Booked through my hotel's concierge.

Just don't make my mistake and say "omakase" when they ask want you want at the restaurant. I thought lunch was a choice between 10 and 13 pieces, I accidentally ordered >20 for 25k yen. Whoops.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
I may try order just saying Omakase in a local joint and see if the boss deal me a 20000 yen damage

Last edited by Wongo; Nov 4, 2014 at 1:19 am
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I was able to get a reservation at Sushi Iwa (one Michelin star) less than two weeks. Booked through my hotel's concierge.

Just don't make my mistake and say "omakase" when they ask want you want at the restaurant. I thought lunch was a choice between 10 and 13 pieces, I accidentally ordered >20 for 25k yen. Whoops.
Got a reservation at Iwa for dinner. How'd you like it?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

using the michelin guide(i have no better chooser set), pick the 6-10 restaurants that have interest. go to the concierge(staying at an spG hotel helps, the concierge staff is spectacular), and have them start calling for tomorrow's lunch or dinner. the restaurant needs a one day notice to procure fresh food. some require deposit, because the people wanting a chair are such jerks and no shows.

we have done about 30 of these things in 2013 and 2014, and both at lunch and dinner. about half have been in Kyoto, and half in tokyo and a few in nara(yeah 110%). none have been a sushi only place.

my wife had said she was all churched out in europe. i'm all tempeLed out in japan. but the food oh my, the food…….and the people in the restaurants…….
Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Strawboy1230
Got a reservation at Iwa for dinner. How'd you like it?
I loved it but I really can't call myself a sushi expert, this was my first foray into anything better than the tourist spots at Tsukiji.

Fatty tuna three ways was definitely incredible. The abalone was a particular favorite.

I'll have photos up in a few days once I get home and back to a real computer, only traveling with a tablet right now.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I loved it but I really can't call myself a sushi expert, this was my first foray into anything better than the tourist spots at Tsukiji.

Fatty tuna three ways was definitely incredible. The abalone was a particular favorite.

I'll have photos up in a few days once I get home and back to a real computer, only traveling with a tablet right now.
Cool. I'd love to see them. Glad to hear you liked it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.