Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

laptop power supply

laptop power supply

Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

laptop power supply

help my thinkpad power supply is broken. The ic xokohama say the camera store next to the yokohama have one but the have no... I am srewed... I need some on 29.10 i leave the hotel. Does anyone know a store?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Yodobashi Camera and Multimedia is about 1 block west of Yokohama Station and will have what you need. I have no idea of the directions from your hotel but the concierge should be able to direct you, or you could just take a cab and direct the driver to "Yodobashi Kamera." He will get you there. Take the old unit to show a clerk.

From your difficult to understand post, it may be that you have already tried Yodobashi but I can't tell for sure. If so, did you show the old unit to a clerk. In my experience, Yodobashi has EVERYTHING electronic. Perhaps they didn't understand what you needed.

If Yodobashi doesn't work out, the next best would be Bic Camera Yokohama-nishiguchi, which is just to the southwest of Yokohama Station, just across the canal. It is about 2 blocks south of Yodobashi.

Maps to both of the above are easy to find on Google Maps. Just google "Yodobashi Camera Yokohama map" or "Bic Camera Yokohamanishiguchi map."

Last edited by abmj-jr; Oct 27, 2014 at 1:16 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Yodobashi Camera and Multimedia is about 1 block west of Yokohama Station and will have what you need.
its that big or some different?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:30 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ToGo
its that big or some different?
The store looks like this and will be difficult to miss.

Here's a Google Map showing the IC Yokohama and Yodobashi Camera Multimedia store. You can also see Bic Camera to the southwest of Yokohama Station.

Check the 1st (ground) floor or the 2nd floor of Yodobashi Camera.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 27, 2014 at 3:16 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

thx tomorrow i will see. ^
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Usually you cannot buy laptop power adapters in a retail store. In Japan, I had to order it online from Rakuten when I needed a HP laptop power adapter (missing, not broken). Also you can buy a generic one for like 2000 yen vs. 12000 yen from the manufacturer. I checked the likes of Yodobashi and Bic and they don't carry this type of product.

Also, the power adapter for a laptop rarely fails. It is usually the motherboard or an auxiliary board for the power supply. The older Thinkpads had the latter problem with solder fatigue at the connector. That's one reason that Lenovo redesigned the plugs so that they are fat ca. year 2007.

It might be possible to purchase a universal adapter like the one from IGo if it really is the power adapter. http://www.igo.com/ac-laptop-power/i...op-charger.htm

Actually, the IGo Juice is the only laptop power adapter that I have ever had fail on me!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:45 am
Yub

Check the Sofmap shop in the Yokohama Vivre Fashion Building shopping center, which is a short walk from the Yokohama Station West Exit. The Sofmap shop is on the 7th floor near the BIC Camera Outlet.

Sofmap is part of the BIC Camera Group and carries new and used computers, parts, and other electronics. Sofmap shops are sometimes located inside of BIC Camera stores, but in Yokohama it is separate from the regular BIC Camera store, which is one block over from Vivre.

Here's a link to the Sofmap store information through Google Translate. Perhaps the hotel concierge can call the shop to see if they have what you need.

https://translate.google.com/transla...ama&edit-text=

Interesting that gnaget had an iGo Juice adapter that failed. I had an iGo Juice a few years ago, and only had problems with it in Japan. It would work for a while, then shut itself off for several hours, then work again for a while. It seemed like it might be some kind of thermal protection that was causing it to shut itself off.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:01 pm
Yub

I did a quick check on the Yodobashi Camera site for AC adapters for Lenovo and it looks like they carry Lenovo, Elecom, and Sanwa brands. Some of these appear to be in stock in the Yokohama store.

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/category...%83%BC&ginput=
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: Dirt
Assuming your ThinkPad is newer than T/X/R/A 4x models and uses 20V AC adapter.

Yodobashi has this Lenovo ThinkPad 65W AC adapter in stock at Akiba and Shinjuku west exit stores. They also have this Lenovo ThinkPad 90W AC adapter online but not in stock in stores. You need the latter one if your ThinkPad has discrete graphics.

Amazon.co.jp offers same day delivery on some items to the greater Tokyo metropolitan area. Might be the better option if you can meet the order cutoff time of 8AM for the Lenovo ThinkPad 90W AC adapter.

I would enlist the help of the concierge to help you locate the AC adapter.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Ok, I was wrong, but I strongly suggest diagnosing the power adapter. Check for voltage with a multi-meter, realizing that it might not be easy while traveling.

I have to admit that I only checked with Bic and Labi for the HP adapter, because they were walking distance, before I ordered online. I have quite a number of Lenovo adapters so would never need to buy one. I am also guessing that Lenovo has a lot more laptop sales in Japan than HP -- with good reason!

My Juice died long before I went to Japan. I suppose Japan would have the device operate at the highest input currents within its range.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
BIC Camera: http://tinyurl.com/kkdu36u
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by beep88
But they can only be despatched after 16 hours ~ 3/4 days.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I dont want start a new tread here. Can someone recommend a Soja Sauce who have a god value and taste original? Everything i go here in Austria taste like American Beer for German....

big thx to all!
I got it from Yodobashi Camera Multimedia. It cost ~30€ and it look like it work (my Laptop isnt on fire *gg*).

Everyone save my return flight and help me to sleep well.

I dont want start a new tread here. Can someone recommend a Soja Sauce who have a god value and taste original? Everything i go here in Austria taste like American Beer for German....

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 9, 2014 at 10:18 am
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by gnaget
Usually you cannot buy laptop power adapters in a retail store. In Japan, I had to order it online from Rakuten when I needed a HP laptop power adapter (missing, not broken). Also you can buy a generic one for like 2000 yen vs. 12000 yen from the manufacturer. I checked the likes of Yodobashi and Bic and they don't carry this type of product.
Just be careful of them generic ones. Many of them drive their clock oscillator off the mains, so if it's the wrong frequency your laptop will run really slow. Not recommended.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Pickles
Just be careful of them generic ones. Many of them drive their clock oscillator off the mains, so if it's the wrong frequency your laptop will run really slow. Not recommended.
Er, I am pretty sure Direct Current output from a power block converter (e.g. 100-220 VAC in, say 15 VDC out) is not affected by AC Hz or oscillators. At least that's what I thought I knew as a global radar / comm / navaids tech installing things like ATC systems.

OTOH using transformers or using AC appliances, clocks etc. set for 50 or 60 Hz with power supplied on the other frequency will often affect motor or clock speeds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.