Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon Vongfong

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OliverB
Is it common for inbound flights to get cancelled due to hurricanes/typhoons around this time of year? We're scheduled to fly into NRT 10/28 and I'm a bit concerned. I obviously don't mean to come across as selfish/self-centered but I'm worried about our travel plans being affected.
I've not been in that many typhoons but the first was a biggie - was at the start of October 2002, typhoon Higos http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Higos_(2002)
Same typhoon that interfered with filming of Lost In Translation. Wind was severe, rain was horizontal, luckily the worst of it in Tokyo coincided with my visit to a large exhibition centre in Makuhari Messe, couldn't have been that bad, found myself just a few metres from Prince Naruhito and made a couple of businessmen giggle when I asked who he was, his safety was obviously not in question. By the time I got out much of the wind had subsided. Hardly any bicycles were left standing.
Next day was the day I met MrLapLap and we went to Hakone. We did the Hakone circuit as soon as we arrived in order to take advantage of the clear skies and beautiful weather, just in time as Fuji San hid behind a shroud of mist for the remainder of our stay.
It is very unlikely that a typhoon as powerful as this one affects your trip. Unlikely, but not impossible. None of my flights were affected, none of my travel plans needed to be rearranged.

Last edited by LapLap; Oct 13, 2014 at 12:41 pm
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Made one of the last shinkensen trains out of Shin Osaka to Tokyo yesterday. This morning at 7am post-Typhoon, opened up my Westin hotel drapes to see clear blue sky and a perfect unfettered view of Fuji san. Rare for me considering it is my 15th time here and it is always blocked by cloud or Tokyo smog.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Made one of the last shinkensen trains out of Shin Osaka to Tokyo yesterday. This morning at 7am post-Typhoon, opened up my Westin hotel drapes to see clear blue sky and a perfect unfettered view of Fuji san. Rare for me considering it is my 15th time here and it is always blocked by cloud or Tokyo smog.
Japanese has a specific term for that - a clear sky after the smog has been blown away by the Typhoon - Taifu Ikka(台風一過)

Last edited by hamnori; Oct 14, 2014 at 2:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.