TYO what can i do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TYO what can i do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you drank 1.5 litres of Coke and ate a rice triangle and your gums hurt ? Perhaps drinking water might be a better idea ? Then again......
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, ToGo, but I have to agree. These 16 days in Japan are a good opportunity to look after yourself and eat different foods and a varied diet. Your gums hurting is a classic sign of vitamin deficiency.

I would like to recommend that you try eating soba noodles as soon as you can. They are inexpensive and filling. When soba noodles (buckwheat - which has a great deal of vitamin B and other vitamins and minerals) are cooked some of those vitamins leak out into the cooking water. If you ask for Mori soba, or better still, Zaru soba (has a tasty portion of mineral packed shredded nori on top), your noodles will come with a dipping sauce. ASK FOR SOBA YU at the end of your meal, you'll get a little red teapot. Pour this into the remains of your dipping sauce and drink it like a hot drink. It tastes good (I think so, anyway) and is a great way of increasing the vitamin content of your meal. There will be vegetables available, grated mountain yam (which looks like nose snot it's called yamaimo, on the menu it is tororo soba) is perhaps the most challenging (I like it). Sansai mountain vegetables is a nice option, vegetable tempura is easy for visitors to enjoy and worth that bit of extra cost.

Most of the food you will find in Japan is rather salty, please compensate by drinking lots of water and tea. I would also recommend mugi cha as a healthy alternative (no caffeine, little if any calories, has some vitamins and minerals).

Last thing you want is kidney stones too! (Never did drink enough during my teens, twenties and thirties)
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

the problem is when i drink to much ~3L my stomach make trouble when i walk longer.
i got some sushi and maki from a supermarket next to my hotel.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Little and often, ToGo, little and often. I don't think anybody is recommending a 3 litre drinking session.

However, you ARE in the land of the public toilet, never far from a public convenience. It's good ToGo.

Too much rice and not enough fibre is certain to bring on constipation. You are staying in an area where fresh fruit is difficult to get hold, I had alarm bells ringing about this eventuality before you left Vienna, now they are screaming sirens.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I eat in the Hotel in the morning and evening Fruits (maybe the Acide make so much trouble?!) more than Home. I feel that will be my last Journey in my life so i try to do the best i can.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^^

Having gone through nearly 9 months of acid reflux, I get the need to avoid acidic foods.

Nashi (sometimes called Asian pears outside of Japan) are less acidic than the apples and pears you are used to

Bananas should be a good choice

And another fruit with very little acid is the persimmon, which is in season now.
As well as the fresh kinds (should be a few to choose from) there are dried persimmons also. Fresh persimmons are called kaki in Japanese. Dried persimmons are called hoshigaki, there are so many kinds and these are prepared in so many ways that I could eat a different kind of dried persimmon every day for a year and there would still be more to discover. Have to admit that I don't like all of them, some I've found to be rather disagreeable, others have been delicious, sublime even.

Stay well!

Last edited by LapLap; Oct 16, 2014 at 8:03 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I love Nashi but the are so expensive Home.
Kaki are so slimy and feel like jelly... Another Problem OS lost my knife so i have nothing to cut. There is an Camping Store in a Mall maybe i get some knife there.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ToGo
I love Nashi but the are so expensive Home.
Kaki are so slimy and feel like jelly... Another Problem OS lost my knife so i have nothing to cut. There is an Camping Store in a Mall maybe i get some knife there.
There are lots of different kinds of kaki and some are very firm, not slimy at all. I didn't use to like kaki for similar reasons, then I tried a couple in Japan that changed my mind. As I said, there are dried kinds too, see if you can find some in the basement of a department store where you can try some before you buy them.
EDIT TO ADD: one of the kinds of fresh kaki that is not slimy or mushy is Jiro kaki (次郎 柿)

The cost of a few nashi is nothing compared to the cost of not eating enough fruit when you are on a diet of onigiri, sushi, makizushi and other white rice dishes.

Just ask at the concierge desk at the IC Yokohama, they'll have a knife you can use, you'll probably have to borrow it from one of the restaurants with their permission, but they will have a knife there.

Last edited by LapLap; Oct 16, 2014 at 9:44 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:41 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
From now on I'm calling onigiri "rice triangles".
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by armagebedar
Even if they're round? I suppose it could work:

"I'll have one of those rice triangles"
"Which one do you want?"
"The round one"

(Somewhere on Flyertalk there's a discussion about ordering Coke in the southern USA that goes like that.
"I'll have a Coke."
"What kind do you want?"
"A Dr. Pepper")
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I already call them that.

perhaps try drinking some pokari sweat. Stuff was always hydrating and not too sweet.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:47 pm

As LapLap notes, hotels will likely have or find you anything you ask for. Way more so than in NA. A knife, for sure.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

ok how do you call some unknown food? I chose the shape for the name.

@LapLap
Thx i have in the IC Yokohama Lounge Acess so Breakfast and Dinner are "limited" to the Buffet. In the Morning there is a great choose of Fruited. I miss only the crazy Asian Fruits there.

Today i feel better i use a Mouthwash very hour clean my teeth 2x.

There is a important question. How does i know which food in the Supermarket is ready to eat and which one have to be cooked?
Sushi (and similar stuff) are rare Fish on top. How about fish, meat who is w/o rice and other stuff?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by ToGo
ok how do you call some unknown food? I chose the shape for the name.

@LapLap
Thx i have in the IC Yokohama Lounge Acess so Breakfast and Dinner are "limited" to the Buffet. In the Morning there is a great choose of Fruited. I miss only the crazy Asian Fruits there.

Today i feel better i use a Mouthwash very hour clean my teeth 2x.

There is a important question. How does i know which food in the Supermarket is ready to eat and which one have to be cooked?
Sushi (and similar stuff) are rare Fish on top. How about fish, meat who is w/o rice and other stuff?
I have found that if it looks cooked, like the breaded pork is brown like it has been deep,fried, it is cooked and can be eaten cold or they have microwaves for you to use and heat up. Of it looks like typical sushi or sashimi in small individual pieces with or without rice, no issues. Large pieces, I.e greater than 10cm or so, is to be cooked.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

i know in japan rare meat will be eaten to.
without rice, no issues. Large pieces, I.e greater than 10cm or so, is to be cooked.
i saw fish parts sliced in smaller the look like ready to put in a pan and cooked.
In other country that's easy when i can read the name of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.