Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tonic water

Tonic water

Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tonic water

So this gin soaked Brit needs to know, is tonic water a commonly available drink in e.g. 7-11s, Lawson, etc? Staying in Ginza area. Pondering a bottle of duty free gin on my way over, but need the tonic, obviously If it does exist, are they western brands (Schwepps, Canada dry) or Japanese own brand? Do they call it tonic water or something else?

Thank you
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Canada Dry, Schweppes, Suntory available in some convenience stores and supermarkets, and in all decent liquor stores.
Same name but pronounced in a Japanese way (Tonikku Uo-ta-)
Should that seem difficult, try saying "tonique war tar" in your best, posh, English voice.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Probably cheaper to buy the Gin in Tokyo instead of duty free store which saves you lugging it around on the plane, etc

Just looking at BIC Camera prices as example

UK Bombay Sapphire Gin 750ml 1,580 yen
Plymouth Gin 700ml 1,480
Beefeater 898 yen 700ML

and others.

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/..._PAGE=1&PAGE=2

Even convenience stores often sell bottles of gin (lower end stuff )
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Japan prohibits quinine so the tonic water is not good (sweet like 7-up) if you buy one of the big names like Schweppes, which are produced in Japan.

I found a no name brand of tonic sold at Yamaya, which is a large wine & booze chain. It says "made in USA" on the can so I am pretty sure that it has quinine.

Donki used to sell Gilbey's gin and vodka for 700 yen a bottle. Maybe higher price now with Abenomics. I used to buy the vodka to make umeshu. I miss my umeshu. I tried to make it with various green plums in the US, but it does not have enough acid.

The beer to liquor price ratio is ridiculous in Japan. You can get a decent bottle of booze (or nihonshu for that matter) for the same price as 3-4 cans of beer.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're serious about the tonic water, you can get Fevertree in Japan (フィーバーツリー )
Hasegawa Liquors sell it in their website (190yen for 200ml - nearly same as in UK) and they have a store at Tokyo station.
http://bento.com/m/e/rest/3979.html

I'd suggest emailing them first to make sure they have it stock.

Alternatively, you could order from Rakuten and have them deliver a crate to your hotel at around the time you arrive.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by LapLap
If you're serious about the tonic water, you can get Fevertree in Japan (フィーバーツリー )
Hasegawa Liquors sell it in their website (190yen for 200ml - nearly same as in UK) and they have a store at Tokyo station.
http://bento.com/m/e/rest/3979.html

I'd suggest emailing them first to make sure they have it stock.

Alternatively, you could order from Rakuten and have them deliver a crate to your hotel at around the time you arrive.
This is the store site. Nice place for sure
http://www.liquors-hasegawa.com/
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by gnaget
It says "made in USA" on the can so I am pretty sure that it has quinine.
Wouldn't quinine be declared on the label if it's in the can? You can stick it under UV light if you want to be sure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_w...c_water_uv.jpg
(Or taste it, I suppose).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by jib71
Wouldn't quinine be declared on the label if it's in the can? You can stick it under UV light if you want to be sure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_w...c_water_uv.jpg
(Or taste it, I suppose).
This particular can just said tonic water and "made in USA". As the wiki article points out, there is a cap of 83 ppm in the US.

The label on Schweppes and Canada Dry, etc. tonics in the US all say "contains quinine".

I actually don't recall tasting it. I bought it for entertaining.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you all! Fantastic information - I shall pick up my Bombay over in Japan (I had incorrectly assumed it would be more expensive, so delighted that it is nice and cheap!)

I will also head to that store in Tokyo station to seek out some Fevertree - it is rather yummy stuff. If they don't have it, good to know I can get some alternatives around and about if I used my 'posh English' voice
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by emma69
Thank you all! Fantastic information - I shall pick up my Bombay over in Japan (I had incorrectly assumed it would be more expensive, so delighted that it is nice and cheap!)

I will also head to that store in Tokyo station to seek out some Fevertree - it is rather yummy stuff. If they don't have it, good to know I can get some alternatives around and about if I used my 'posh English' voice
it is a little tough to find but you will be close when you get to Bubby's in the Yaesu Underground Shopping...it is connected to tokyo station but not technically tokyo station. it is sort of towards the end of the underground. If you see a map of the Yaesu Underground Shopping, sort of looks like a T, it is towards the end of the underground perpendicular to the station.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:50 pm

If you happen to be near a Hub Pub, check out their Happy Hour.

Gin and Tonic's -190 yen each till 7pm. (and they have some better Gins' for a bit more)

http://www.pub-hub.com/index.php/happy_hour/detail/HUB
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
If you happen to be near a Hub Pub, check out their Happy Hour.

Gin and Tonic's -190 yen each till 7pm. (and they have some better Gins' for a bit more)

http://www.pub-hub.com/index.php/happy_hour/detail/HUB
Sounds like a fine plan - there is one about a 5 minute walk from my hotel I am curious to try the fried spaghetti!!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mkjr
it is a little tough to find but you will be close when you get to Bubby's in the Yaesu Underground Shopping...it is connected to tokyo station but not technically tokyo station. it is sort of towards the end of the underground. If you see a map of the Yaesu Underground Shopping, sort of looks like a T, it is towards the end of the underground perpendicular to the station.
Thanks for the directions. I will give it a whirl!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:10 am

Sounds like a fine plan - there is one about a 5 minute walk from my hotel I am curious to try the fried spaghetti!!
Chicken Salad is good...fish and chips are OK as well. Not sure about fried spaghetti though.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
Chicken Salad is good...fish and chips are OK as well. Not sure about fried spaghetti though.
I'm veggie, so don't eat meat or fish - the fish and chips do look good on the picture tho!

I can't knock fried pasta till I try it - I was once in a honky tonk in Nashville and had fried cheese ravioli - it was incredibly moreish in a very bad for you kind of way!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.