Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Improve Japan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by KPT
Customer Service: More flexibility when going off the book, or when policy is clearly not right (think of the customer) but the rules say otherwise.

This is by far I think my biggest complaint. You get nowhere trying to talk to someone -- there's absolutely no room for compromise. I guess people are used to しょうがない moments but it irritates me to no end.
Today, I went to get an International Driver's Permit at the police department. My picture I brought was 2.5 mm too narrow so they would not accept my photo. (If you know what an IDP looks like, it's just a photo stuck on the face with double sided tape.)

Had to use the authorized photo kiosk at 700 yen to get this picture. Then she proceeds to cut the photograph. Final photo size, difference in width is 1.5 mm but as she put it "it was done by authorized photo kiosk, so any anomaly in size is OK".

I hate Japan.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:58 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Today, I went to get an International Driver's Permit at the police department. My picture I brought was 2.5 mm too narrow so they would not accept my photo. (If you know what an IDP looks like, it's just a photo stuck on the face with double sided tape.)

Had to use the authorized photo kiosk at 700 yen to get this picture. Then she proceeds to cut the photograph. Final photo size, difference in width is 1.5 mm but as she put it "it was done by authorized photo kiosk, so any anomaly in size is OK".

I hate Japan.
Police involvement in driver licensing is one of the things I like least about local government in Japan. (See also: the very cozy relationship between driving schools and local police.)
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Taiwaned

I hate Japan.
Just to prove Japanese are not totally inflexible and can be made to think logically.....

My cash card is cracked (poorly made). So I go to the bank.

ME
"I'd like a new cash card, please."

TELLER
"That will be 900 yen."

"But the card should not have cracked after so little use."

"A new card is 900 yen."

"Don't you think the bank should pay for it since it was poorly made?"

"Sorry a new card is 900 yen."

"Is there any way to get a new card without paying?"

Teller goes into broken record mode.

"A new card is 900 yen."

"But I've only used it on Sundays on my way to the temple, and I always keep it carefully protected in my wallet."

"A new card is 900 yen."

Dumb gaijin finally gets it. Thinks for bit.

"OK..... Does it cost anything to open a new account?"

"No it's free."

"Do I have to pay for a new cash card with a new account?"

"No it's free."

"Ok. Please open a new account for me. Transfer all the money from the old account into the new account and give me a new cash card please."

Extreme sucking of air.

"Please wait a minute"

Bank teller disappears for 5 minutes. Comes back with the Branch Manager.

"We're going to make a very special exception just for you and replace the card for free."
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:34 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Which bank is this?

Times have changed since the last time Tokyo put on the Olympics. I wonder what people will think when they run into this BS.

My gym is charging me for a full month after canceling. I cancelled a few days into the month but didn't use it at all that month - and they have records of that. I have been told that the result would have been the same even if I had cancelled the very first day of the month. Who comes up with these rules?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by KPT
My gym is charging me for a full month after canceling. I cancelled a few days into the month but didn't use it at all that month - and they have records of that. I have been told that the result would have been the same even if I had cancelled the very first day of the month. Who comes up with these rules?
Well that's the thing about a membership fee. It's a fee for membership, not for usage. The clue is in the name.

Is it common for clubs in other countries to retrospectively refund membership fees for months during which members did not avail themselves of the facilities?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jib71
Well that's the thing about a membership fee. It's a fee for membership, not for usage. The clue is in the name.

Is it common for clubs in other countries to retrospectively refund membership fees for months during which members did not avail themselves of the facilities?
I would have to agree with jib on this one.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:25 am
KPT

How to Improve Japan

Perhaps I'm just used to kindness and clear language in this regard.

My old gym was very good about this - when I told them I was going abroad for about a month they agreed to not collect fees, and they spelled out the terms of cancellation very clearly. Granted, this was a local neighborhood gym - even though it had facilities that were better than some of the chains, customers still came first.

You shouldn't expect people to know the rules all the time.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:27 am
mjm
Original Member

Had a similar one a few months back. I am not overly keen on 1 and 5 yen coins so I save them in a mug at home and when that is full I dump it in a large ziplock bag and do the same again. Every ow and then I will take my several kilos of coins and exchange it for the 7-800 yen it is usually worth.

I went to the bank to do this a few months ago and could not find the machine to count coins. So I went to the counter where they said it would cost me a fee to have them count it.

I did not get angry, I did not roll my eyes, I simply blinked and asked that they not count it for me but rather accept this deposit to my account. This bears no fee. But they still have to count it.

After the deposit was completed I went to the ATM and withdrew that same amount.

Such are rules. :-)

Originally Posted by 5khours
Just to prove Japanese are not totally inflexible and can be made to think logically.....

My cash card is cracked (poorly made). So I go to the bank.

ME
"I'd like a new cash card, please."

TELLER
"That will be 900 yen."

"But the card should not have cracked after so little use."

"A new card is 900 yen."

"Don't you think the bank should pay for it since it was poorly made?"

"Sorry a new card is 900 yen."

"Is there any way to get a new card without paying?"

Teller goes into broken record mode.

"A new card is 900 yen."

"But I've only used it on Sundays on my way to the temple, and I always keep it carefully protected in my wallet."

"A new card is 900 yen."

Dumb gaijin finally gets it. Thinks for bit.

"OK..... Does it cost anything to open a new account?"

"No it's free."

"Do I have to pay for a new cash card with a new account?"

"No it's free."

"Ok. Please open a new account for me. Transfer all the money from the old account into the new account and give me a new cash card please."

Extreme sucking of air.

"Please wait a minute"

Bank teller disappears for 5 minutes. Comes back with the Branch Manager.

"We're going to make a very special exception just for you and replace the card for free."
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:59 am
KPT

I've made it a habit to just pay my bills using those 1 and 5 yen coins. Once I accidentally overpaid; the cashier actually handed back some of it to me.

I guess that brings up another improvement point -- understanding why efficient use of time is more important than efficient use of money. The working day is insanely long at many Japanese companies, but the productivity must be rubbish. I'm thankful to have not suffered that fate, but I can only wonder how much longer this society will take this overtime nonsense.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Back in 2010 I stayed in a hotel near Otemachi for a week and it overlooked a small office where people sat around a table doing "work". One guy was there all hours of the day and usually I could see solitaire on his computer screen. Then one morning this guy shows up in the room and sits at the head of the table. The workers were standing in attention as he was lecturing and I noticed that my "friend" had a spreadsheet on his computer. At one point I noticed that the boss had his feet on the desk and it looked like he was smoking a cigarette too, so it was clearly an old school operation.

Originally Posted by KPT
I've made it a habit to just pay my bills using those 1 and 5 yen coins. Once I accidentally overpaid; the cashier actually handed back some of it to me.

I guess that brings up another improvement point -- understanding why efficient use of time is more important than efficient use of money. The working day is insanely long at many Japanese companies, but the productivity must be rubbish. I'm thankful to have not suffered that fate, but I can only wonder how much longer this society will take this overtime nonsense.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:56 am
KPT

Originally Posted by gnaget
Back in 2010 I stayed in a hotel near Otemachi for a week and it overlooked a small office where people sat around a table doing "work". One guy was there all hours of the day and usually I could see solitaire on his computer screen. Then one morning this guy shows up in the room and sits at the head of the table. The workers were standing in attention as he was lecturing and I noticed that my "friend" had a spreadsheet on his computer. At one point I noticed that the boss had his feet on the desk and it looked like he was smoking a cigarette too, so it was clearly an old school operation.
A friend was telling me about a different type of NEET : the working NEET. Basically someone who comes into work and does nothing all day, but still collects a paycheck so long as the company is doing well.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KPT
A friend was telling me about a different type of NEET : the working NEET. Basically someone who comes into work and does nothing all day, but still collects a paycheck so long as the company is doing well.

Hey, I have at least a few of those where I work in Canada, so it is not a Japan only issue.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:10 am

5khours and mjm, your recounts made me smile

It also provided added perspective how I should approach occasional difficult situations next time I'm in Tokyo
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
I liked this story from debito.org, when he obtains Japanese nationality and wants to have his drivers license updated with his new nationality:

I drove to the neighboring town, where the local traffic safety division was headquartered, and, presenting my Juuminhyou, stated that I was a naturalized Japanese and would like my driver licence to reflect that.

The cop there looked at my licence and said, "Okay we'll put your new name and Honseki [address of Registry] on the back of the licence as an amendment."

"B-but wait. I need the front of the licence to say my Japanese Honseki. Right now it says 'America' and nothing else. It has to be very clear on the front or else I will still appear to be a foreigner."

"The amendment on the back will take care of that."

"But can't you just reissue me a licence?"

"Until this old one expires, we cannot reissue." And when would that be? More than two years from now! Darn these licence validity extensions for newly-reformed safe drivers. (http://www.debito.org/residentspage.html#speeding)

Me: "But listen, without this licence properly reissued, I will not have wallet-size proof that I am a Japanese, clear, present, and up front. I don't have a Gaijin Card anymore and I am not going to carry my Juuminhyou with me all the time. This is a special case, a naturalization. I need an exception made or else I'm in trouble."

"Oh come now," the cop said, "you're exaggerating. The amendment on the back will suffice. It will have the proper inkans et cetera and anyone who needs proof can just look on the back."

"I don't think you understand my position. Japanese police nowadays do stop foreign-looking people at random for Gaijin Card checks, because we are seen as a source of rising crime. And if I do not have persuasive proof that I am not a foreigner anymore, under the Gaitouhou Jouji Keitai rule I could be arrested. Seriously. Any cop having a bad donut day could just say that I forged the back and give me hell."

"Oh, we police wouldn't do that."

"That's easy for you to say. You are not in my position. So I want the appropriate ID done in the most official-looking way possible."

"Sorry. Can't do it until your current one expires."

I stood there like Tom Cruise in A FEW GOOD MEN, facing down Jack Nicholson in the courtroom, sweat on his upper lip and wondering what to do next. Then I said:

"But what if I mislaid my licence? What would happen then?"

"We would have to reissue you another one. It would take two to three weeks and cost you 3350 yen."

"Well, um, guess what," dropping my licence to the floor in the best Hollywood dramatic tradition, "I just lost my licence. Could you please reissue me another one?"

The cop smiled, asked me if I was willing to fill out the forms, pay the fee, and bring in a photo. One quick round trip home and I got the stuff in before the 5PM deadline.

Cop: "Okay, all set. Just wait a couple of weeks. We'll call you when it comes in."

"Great. Thanks very much for your understanding."

"Oh, and Sugawara-san." He handed back my old licence. "Don't forget this. You have to drive in the interim."
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
When I moved to Japan in late April, one of the first things I did was to join a gym that is fairly close to our home. Putting effort in being regular however there were a few things that were frustrating.

First was their policy that DIRTY towels need to be returned FOLDED. There is a huge laundry bag and I just threw in my dirty wet towel because I couldn't read the sign. Front clerk went and took out my dirty sweaty towel and chased me down, gave it back to me and told me that dirty towels needed to be folded then tossed into the same laundry bag.

I asked why? She told me that is what we are supposed to do.

I told her, that's insane and if she wants my dirty towels to be folded before throwing them into the dirty laundry bag then she would need to do it because I am not going to bother.

The past 4 months or so, when that clerk is working at front desk, I always dry myself in front of her then toss her my dirty towel. (or sometimes I just toss it onto her computer terminal) I always tell her, give me a reason why and I would apologize and not do this anymore.

It was a personal war I had with this clerk.

Today, there was a flyer posted in the entrance way (in Japanese and English). Dirty towels are no longer needed to be folded, just drop them into the laundry basket.

Ironically, couple of old timers told me that it used to be a laundry box and it needed to be folded so that more towels can fit in the box but now it is a laundry bag, they didn't bother folding it either and couldn't understand why they made a stink about it in the first place.

It became a laundry bag many years ago but never changed the procedure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.