The wall develops a crack: Bmobile offers real, but expensive, prepaid SIM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:29 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The wall develops a crack: Bmobile offers real, but expensive, prepaid SIM

Take a look at

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/payg_sim/

Bmobile's political connections have prevailed again and it is offering a prepaid SIM that includes

-- 60 minutes of calls (domestic or international)
-- 3G of data
-- almost certainly on the DoCoMo network, best in Japan

The problems are

-- Only good for 7 days
-- Costs a ridiculous Y9,980 = US$93!
-- Cannot be refilled or extra data/minutes added
-- Has a fair amount of bureaucracy, including emailing in passport photo copies not once but twice

Still maybe in 6-12 months, there will be competition and prepaid for visitors will finally return to Japan.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: *$ Green
I have heard that it is fairly 'inexpensive' to rent a portable wifi router.

With all the VOIP applications and messaging services, do you think renting a portable wifi device is still a better way to go for visitors?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Well only if you NEED a 080 number .... and doing long term rent for wifi route is 6250 yen only http://www.letinternetjp.com/en/newenlong/wifi.html

The b mobile plan makes sense if you going to spend a month traveling in Japan as a tourist, otherwise you should go DoCoMo to have a monthly plan already .......
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:09 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I have heard that it is fairly 'inexpensive' to rent a portable wifi router.

With all the VOIP applications and messaging services, do you think renting a portable wifi device is still a better way to go for visitors?
Yes, at this rate it is the clear choice still. The options are detailed in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Well only if you NEED a 080 number .... and doing long term rent for wifi route is 6250 yen only http://www.letinternetjp.com/en/newenlong/wifi.html

The b mobile plan makes sense if you going to spend a month traveling in Japan as a tourist, otherwise you should go DoCoMo to have a monthly plan already .......
Of course, if you are not a resident of Japan, you still can't get a monthly plan, so I am not sure how this is relevant to visitors.

Further, if this rate of nearly Y10,000 for a week isn't a good deal for a week, 4 x this cost wouldn't be a good deal for 4 weeks.

The hope is that in 6-12 months someone else will crack the same wall and rates will come down.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
BTW, isn't it dirt cheap to rent a "dumb" phone already with other operators? it's possibly cheaper for one to rent a hotspot + dumb phone which still comes cheaper than this insanely priced plan
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
The rate seems a lot unless you are on the go on business trip, for leisure travelers, I am sure we can use Skype or other programs to forward our phone number to while we are away from home. I have a sim provider who gives me 30 day data sim for $260 HKD, need VPN for facebook... blocked content by PRC (Dam PRC sims) but it is decent enough to receive Skype calls.
Never liked the idea of renting devises cos you have to pay if you lose it, or if you forgot to return.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:11 am

Well... those mainland chinese craving for iPhone 6 outside Apple shop may find good use of this service ? 0.0"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.