Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Still completely lost about which cities to go to in Japan--Please Help!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

I've got Tokyo and Kyoto locked down for a 11 day trip beginning in late Nov into early December of this year. I've heard good things about Hakone, Kanazawa, Osaka, and Himeji.

Does anyone have past itineraries or any other input to contribute? I would really appreciate it--thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:21 pm

Himeji isn't worth it right now as the castle is in a large box during a long renovation period. Other than that, do a forum search (itinerary threads come up at least once a week) and look at wikitravel and japan-guide.com for specifics in each city. The forum regulars are happy to help, but we are not your travel agents- please do some research yourself, first. Then give us a mock general itinerary and a sense of what you'd like to see and do, what type of traveler you are- visiting Japan means a lot of different things to different tourists.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
In addition to what Pureboy said, spreading your somewhat similar questions into different threads, imo, makes it more difficult to provide advice for what appears to be the same trip for the same 10 or 11 day itinerary.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...sit-japan.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ion-tokyo.html
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:36 pm
F 1

Originally Posted by Strawboy1230
I've got Tokyo and Kyoto locked down for a 11 day trip beginning in late Nov into early December of this year. I've heard good things about Hakone, Kanazawa, Osaka, and Himeji.

Does anyone have past itineraries or any other input to contribute? I would really appreciate it--thanks!
It depends on what kind of attractions or experiences you are looking for? Onsen? Countryside? Beach? Cycling? Big city? Shopping? Dining? History? It's difficult to answer without knowing.

Suggest you research japan-guide.com
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by F 1
It depends on what kind of attractions or experiences you are looking for? Onsen? Countryside? Beach? Cycling? Big city? Shopping? Dining? History? It's difficult to answer without knowing.

Suggest you research japan-guide.com
History, dining, onsen, and scenery would be my focus.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
P

For that criteria I'd go with Hakone, I had similar criteria for a 10 day trip and really enjoyed Hakone. I stayed at Kai Hakone which I'd certainly recommend for a Ryokan, Onsen, and dining experience. The price varies greatly based on the day and is sometimes unaffordable.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Pureboy
Himeji isn't worth it right now as the castle is in a large box during a long renovation period. Other than that, do a forum search (itinerary threads come up at least once a week) and look at wikitravel and japan-guide.com for specifics in each city. The forum regulars are happy to help, but we are not your travel agents- please do some research yourself, first. Then give us a mock general itinerary and a sense of what you'd like to see and do, what type of traveler you are- visiting Japan means a lot of different things to different tourists.
Actually it's not. But hey, who bothers to check facts

http://www.city.himeji.lg.jp/s60/285...kly-photo.html
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by mkjr
Originally Posted by Pureboy
Actually it's not. But hey, who bothers to check facts

http://www.city.himeji.lg.jp/s60/285...kly-photo.html
Yep. As mkjr says the "box" is down, also the tower crane has gone, but the truss access bridge is still there (an engineering feat in itself). There's apparently some fencing still that might block the lower view of the inner castle from the western terrace, but might be gone by November. Although, the inside of the main tower may be closed then.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:45 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The "box" has indeed been removed but once the construction scaffolding has been removed (about now,) the interior will be off limits to visitors. The basic point of Pureboy's post is still valid, Himeji won't be a good site for a visit until spring, 2015.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html

For now, Hikone is still probably the best bet for an original-construction feudal castle. Fall color there should be pretty spectacular in November as well.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Aug 28, 2014 at 1:09 am
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you are planning to get a hotel room in kyoto for nov, i suggest you start booking right now. kyoto hotel room sells out in nov.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
if you are planning to get a hotel room in kyoto for nov, i suggest you start booking right now. kyoto hotel room sells out in nov.
got it. Thank you very much for the heads up.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

We did the following in May: Tokyo-4N, Hakone-1N, Kyoto-4N, Osaka-2N. I felt this provided the bare minimum of time for Tokyo and Kyoto as there is so much to see. We made a daytrip from Tokyo to Kamakura which IMO is a must see. Note you can ship luggage door-to-door overnight between cities for <$20 which is a good option if you don't feel like hauling suitcases through train stations.

Personally I did not care for overpriced Hakone or the onsen though I think the ropeway and tram were worth a day visit. Many of the ryokan are very expensive compared with top hotels and some don't even offer in-room toilets.

Osaka has great food and makes a good base for a day trip to Nara.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The "box" has indeed been removed but once the construction scaffolding has been removed (about now,) the interior will be off limits to visitors. The basic point of Pureboy's post is still valid, Himeji won't be a good site for a visit until spring, 2015.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html

For now, Hikone is still probably the best bet for an original-construction feudal castle. Fall color there should be pretty spectacular in November as well.
That's absurd. To suggest that a visit to himeji hinges on the ability to access the inside is asinine.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by mkjr
That's absurd. To suggest that a visit to himeji hinges on the ability to access the inside is asinine.
As is this comment. There would be little point to visiting a castle you can't enter?

Nobody said anything about anything "hinging" on anything. My point was that a visit to an alternative site would permit seeing both the inside and outside of the castle. Why is this cause for such a rude attack?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see how the view is "asinine" either. My own day at Himeji would not have been nearly so memorable had I not had the chance to enter and explore the inside of the castle.
It wasn't like going to Tsuruga-jō in Aizu where the castle is way more interesting from the outside than it is from within. Then again, perhaps this was exactly mkjr's experience of Himeji.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.