Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Choice - IC vs Park

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:44 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
There are often many rates available through ANA's IHG site that aren't available through the global IHG site (e.g. the discounts given to AMC members). I assume, however, there are rate codes available that should allow the same savings/benefits to be had when booking through the global IHG site.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Huh doesn't IHG have a best rate guarantee that gives you a free night if the global reservations site is undercut, or something?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by NickW
Huh doesn't IHG have a best rate guarantee that gives you a free night if the global reservations site is undercut, or something?
https://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/cus...rms-conditions
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:35 pm
F 1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickW
This is where it gets complicated. Coincidentally, because I did find a lower rate on getaroom.com (before I found the anaihghotels site), I submitted two separate BRG claims on the original booking but was denied both times.

First time was denied because I booked a rate through an IHG telephone rep instead of through the website (even though the rep booked me the best rate available).

So then I made a second booking using the website, but was denied because IHG quotes in JPY and getaroom quotes in USD.

Ok fair enough-- both of those rules are clear in the T&C.

Here's the best part. Let's say getaroom did quote in JPY. If I submitted a BRG claim, then the BRG people would magically pull up the anaihghotels.co.jp website and say "Since the lower rate is also available on an IHG owned web site your claim won’t qualify for the Best Price Guarantee".

Funny how the BRG claim centre is quick to mention the japanese booking site, but nobody in reservations ever mentioned it to me.

Originally Posted by evergrn
This is unfortunately not an unusual phenomenon. I read both English & Jpn, and all the time I see certain packages & offers being offered only on the Jpn websites. I think it depends on the hotel, though. I've seen such price discrepancies many times at Kobe's CP. In fact, just a few months ago I alerted another FTer about how he had booked a much higher rate at one of the Associa hotels than what he would've gotten if he had used the hotel's Jpn reservation engine. I'm not sure if IHG's central reservations would have access to the same rates & promotions found through the hotel's Jpn search engine. Likewise, the local hotel staff may not have access to the internet rates, or at least they may be trained to say that they don't have such access.
I completely agree and that's why I'm reluctant to complain about this, even though I was left with frustration over the process. At the end of the day I received the lower rate I was looking for and when you factor in the complexity of the booking system, the probable lack of communication between Japan and N America, booking agent training, and a whole bunch of other factors, I can't see IHG compensating me for this in any way other than a reply to say "thanks for your feedback".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.