Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Is Ōkunoshima worth visiting for a couple of hours?

Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

This is sort of a rambling question not just related to Ōkunoshima but the logistics of potential plans and time spent in and around Hiroshima also. It's the final stage of planning for our trip that I need to focus on. Here's the plan...

We check out of Minamikan (after 3 nights) and leave Matsue for Hiroshima after breakfast at the ryokan. We'll likely take the Ltd. Express Yakumo from Matsue Station to Okayama. Then the Shinkansen Sakura to Hiroshima. We're supposed to check into Iwaso on Miyajima that afternoon; I suppose around 4-5 PM as that seems to be the typical check-in at ryokans.

Given that we'll want to have ample time to check-in and experience the ryokan, explore Miyajima in the late afternoon (visit the shrines: Itsukushima, Oo Torii, Goju-no Tou; wander around Momijidani Park and enjoy the autumn foliage; possibly ride the Miyajima Ropeway if there's time), and be ready for dinner at Iwaso at 7 PM (also seems to be the standard time) - I don't expect that we'll have time to do anything but transfer straight to Miyajima upon arrival in Hiroshima. Would you all agree with that sentiment?

If so, we'll end up taking JR Sanyo Line to Miyajimaguchi, catch the JR or Matsudai Ferry from Miyajimaguchi Port, and call Iwaso for a free shuttle bus transfer to the ryokan. Assuming we leave Matsue after breakfast and catch the ferry to Miyajima immediately upon arrival in Hiroshima, approx. what time do you reasonably expect that we'll arive on Miyajima Island? Early afternoon? Late afternoon?

I would like to be able to wander around the island a bit before sunset. I'm also curious if there are any opportunities for sightseeing or exploring after dark? Is Iwaso the sort of place where we'll want to simply stay put and enjoy the facilities (onsen) and surroundings of the ryokan? We're satying in the Shukin-tei suite in the Hanare cottage, which I understand predates the main inn. I assume the Wakamiya Hot Spring is surely in the main building. I have no clue how far apart they are or what the layout of the property is like though.

Anyhow, we're supposed to be in Nagasaki the following day. We have no plans other than travel between Miyajima and Nagasaki. We do have dinner scheduled at our ryokan in Nagasaki at 7 PM but I wonder if I should request to have it on a separate day so that we are less restricted by our arrival time; would you agree - any thoughts?

I would like to visit Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum & Park, The Cenotaph & Atomic Bomb Dome, Children's Peace Monument, Shukkei-en Garden, etc.

I'm not sure when to plan for this. Ideally, we should really have stayed an extra night in Hiroshima (or extended our stay on Miyajima) but for some reason, I felt that one night would be enough. Oh well, too late to do anything about that now.

I suppose if there's time upon arrival in Hiroshima, we could potentially explore any of the above sights before ferrying to Miyajima. I don't want to limit our time on the island though. I'm really not sure how many hours are necessary to get a satisfying experience without feeling rushed. As mentioned, I'd like to explore the island before sunset and do the same early in the morning at sunrise; take photos, visit the shrines, feed the deer, etc.

I would really like to try and see all the bomb stuff and Shukkei-en though. That said, a few of you had advised that the museum and memorials in Nagasaki were more interesting and offered a broader perspective. I won't fret too much if we simply don't have the time but I would also very much like to visit if it's possible since we'll be so close.

I figured that we would reserve the following morning (the day of our travel to Nagasaki) to take in a few more sights in Hiroshima.

There's also Hiroshima Castle, Hiroshima Museum of Art, Hijiyama Park, and Chuo Koen/Central Park - I'm not sure if any of these warrant a visit or how we should prioritize any of these, if at all. I doubt we'll have time for anything other than the bomb stuff.

Anyhow, as I'm typing this I realize that the thought of visiting Ōkunoshima as well seems a bit ridiculous, but it seems to be "en route" from Matasue so if it's a matter of hopping off the train a few stops early for an hour or two, it might still be a consideration. Truthfully, seeing some wild rabbits is not the highest of priorities but I am curious whether there's any other draw as it seems to be a minor tourist destination. I know all about the poisonous gas and WWII history but that doesn't seem to offer much incentive for a sidetrip. Is this the sort of thing that you might recommend if one had plenty of time to kill or a were living in Japan for several months and wanted to take a day trip?

Lastly, how do you suggest we tackle Hiroshima and Miyajima with our allotted time? What would you prioritize in terms of sights? The only fixtures in our itinerary at this point are that we need to arrive at Iwaso in time for dinner on our first night (coming from Matsue) and that we have to be in Nagasaki the following afternoon to check-in to our ryokan there.

Should we try to do the Hiroshima stuff immediately upon arrival from Matsue, before Miyiajima? Should we focus more on Miyajima and spend more time on the island and at our ryokan and then try to squeeze the bomb stuff and/or Shukkei-en Garden the following day after leaving Miyajima, before travelling to Nagasaki?

How long on average is the shinkansen between Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

We have the following options (as far as I know) between both cities:

- JR Sanyo Line from Miyajimaguchi Station to Hiroshima.
- Shinkansen Sakura to Shin-Tosu.
- Ltd. Express Kamome to Nagasaki.
- Taxi to Sakamotoya Ryokan.
{or}
- Take the Electric Tram from Nagasaki Ekimae Station towards Shokakuji-shita.
- Exit at Gotomachi Station. (1 Stop)
- Walk to Sakamoto-ya.

I'd initially planned to just play it by ear but given our time constraints, I'd like to try and maximize what time we have in the area by loosely planning things out. If I know approx. how long certain sights require, then we can decide when to visit and what to focus on first.

Thanks!!

Last edited by OliverB; Aug 18, 2014 at 5:34 pm
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:27 pm

I have a hard time following your questions.

I've visited Japan recently, including Okunoshima. I'll give you my thoughts. We brought the Japan Rail 7-day Pass, all of our train travels were done with the pass. We did Kyoto, Hiroshima, Okunoshima, Miyajima, Fukuoka and Nagasaki then back to Osaka all on the rail pass. We got more than what we paid for the passes.

I used http://www.hyperdia.com/ to plan my Japan travels.

If time is limited, I would skip Okunoshima. We visited Okunoshima in the morning and Miyajima in the afternoon as a day trip. The island is deserted, a bit boring for my taste. If you loved rabbits, they are everywhere waiting to be fed. Bikes are available for rent, you can go around the island on bike in about an hour. If you decided to go I can give you some pointers on how to get there.

In my opinion, Miyajima is worth at least a whole day. I wish we had spent more time there. During Cherry Blossoms it was an amazing place.

Hiroshima is good for an afternoon. We actually took a taxi from our hotel at the train station to the Memorial site, we spent in total about 2 hours in Hiroshima.

Nagasaki is a very nice city. The Atomic museum is very extensive and informative. Glover Garden, Dejima Dutch trading post and Chinatown are some of the highlights.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imm2b
I have a hard time following your questions.

I've visited Japan recently, including Okunoshima. I'll give you my thoughts. We brought the Japan Rail 7-day Pass, all of our train travels were done with the pass. We did Kyoto, Hiroshima, Okunoshima, Miyajima, Fukuoka and Nagasaki then back to Osaka all on the rail pass. We got more than what we paid for the passes.

I used http://www.hyperdia.com/ to plan my Japan travels.

If time is limited, I would skip Okunoshima. We visited Okunoshima in the morning and Miyajima in the afternoon as a day trip. The island is deserted, a bit boring for my taste. If you loved rabbits, they are everywhere waiting to be fed. Bikes are available for rent, you can go around the island on bike in about an hour. If you decided to go I can give you some pointers on how to get there.

In my opinion, Miyajima is worth at least a whole day. I wish we had spent more time there. During Cherry Blossoms it was an amazing place.

Hiroshima is good for an afternoon. We actually took a taxi from our hotel at the train station to the Memorial site, we spent in total about 2 hours in Hiroshima.

Nagasaki is a very nice city. The Atomic museum is very extensive and informative. Glover Garden, Dejima Dutch trading post and Chinatown are some of the highlights.
Thanks and sorry for the stream of conscious post; I was sort of working out our schedule and plans as I was typing so it came off a biut rambling and all over the place. We're going to skip Ōkunoshima.

Here's a more condensed and concise summary of my initial post:

We're scheduled to leave Matsue after breakfast at our ryokan in the morning. We're due to arrive at our ryokan (Iwaso) on Miyajima that same afternoon. We have dinner scheduled at the ryokan that evening.

We have to be in Nagasaki the following day to check-in at our ryokan there. We have dinner scheduled at that ryokan (in Nagasaki) on the day of arrival but I was wondering whether it would be best to reschedule for a different day in order to add flexibility to our travel between Miyajima and Nagsaki.

My main question is how to maximize our time in Miyajima and Hiroshima given the above criteria. The only fixtures in our plans are that we have to leave Matsue in the morning, check in to Iwaso the same afternoon, and arrive in Nagasaki the following day.

I would like to spend as much time on Miyajima as possible. I listed all of the sites that I'd hoped to explore; including the temples, shrines, and pagodas, Momijidani Park, and possibly the ropeway.

I would also like to hit the "highlights" of Hiroshima; the bomb site, museum, memorials, and ideally Shukkei-en Garden as well (if that's suggested). I was trying to discern whether it would make more sense to do this stuff upon arrival in Hiroshima from Matsue, or whether it would be best to ferry straight to Miyajima and spend the remainder of the day and night on the island, then visit Hiroshima the following morning en route to Nagasaki, after checking out of Iwaso.

I was also wondering whether Hiroshima Castle (we've already been to Kanazawa and Nara) or any of the other parks or museums were worth a visit; would you prioritize anything else in Hiroshima beyond the bomb stuff?

Thanks for your feedback!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:12 pm

OliverB, No worries. I know how it is with planning.

If the dinner in Nagasaki is a special dinner, I'd reschedule it for another day.

Personally, I would to straight to Miyajima and hit Hiroshima enroute to Nagasaki. Miyajima during the late afternoon and early evening is magical.

I didn't go to Hiroshima castle, so can't comment there. I only spent about 2 hours at the Atomic Dome site, then off to Fukuoka. So, I don't have much to add on Hiroshima.

In my opinion, if you maximize your time in Miyajima and Nagasaki, you'll be very glad you did.

Good luck with your planning. Look forward to hear your trip report.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for affirming what I'd been thinking in the back of my head... straight to Miyajima it is! We'll save a couple of hours the next morning for Hiroshima as suggested, then move on to Nagasaki.

The dinner in Nagasaki isn't special per se; it's our first night at the ryokan which we'll be spending the better part of a week at. I've only opted for a single dinner at each ryokan because it just gets too heavy and repetetive otherwise. We couldn't possibly eat multi-course kaiseki dinners every single night nor be stuck to such a rigid schedule when we want to be out sightseeing and enjoying local restaurants as wll. As such, I've asked to only have dinner at each ryokan on the night of arrival. That way, we'll likely be tired from travel and just want to stay in and relax, enjoy the onsen, have dinner in our room, etc. At this point in our trip, we'll have had countless kaiseki meals at countless ryokans and so I'm not expecting anything special from this particular one. I have some sense of regional cuisine in Nagasaki, but mostly of the Chinese influence so I really don't know what to expect from our ryokan dinner. I have purposefully chosen to eat at restaurants that do not require reservations for the rest of our meals in Nagasaki as we'll have had our fill of fine dining in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka.

I guess we'll wait and see what time we leave Hiroshima. If it turns out to be late and we're worried about our arrival time, we'll call the ryokan and either let them know that we'll be arriving later than scheduled or request to have dinner the next night and just go somewhere casual upon arrival.

Anyhow, thanks again for your input and feedback; we'll definitely be taking your advice for Miyajima!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:14 am

One more data point- Went to Hiroshima/Miyajima in 2000, Nagasaki in 2005.
If you are going to both cities, I'd prioritize the Nagasaki Peace Museum, as I think it is much better overall. For Hiroshima, I'd make sure to walk by the A-bomb Dome, the Cenotaph area, and, time permitting, visit the artifact area of the Peace Museum to see the stopped clocks, melted objects, and the "shadow" on the bank steps, as these are the most visually and emotionally striking parts of the museum, IMO.

I might have written this on one of your previous threads, but Nagasaki is a great city- there is so much to see. I'd limit Hiroshima time to a quick walk through and maximize Miyajima and Nagasaki time.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Pureboy
... Nagasaki is a great city- there is so much to see. I'd limit Hiroshima time to a quick walk through and maximize Miyajima and Nagasaki time.
+1.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Pureboy!

You did write that in a past thread and I took your advice - we booked a full week in Nagasaki so we'll have plenty of time to explore the city at leisure and take in all the sights. I'm very excited!

Thanks for your feedback re. Hiroshima. I think we'll do exactly as you suggest and just cover the basics around the bomb site, then catch the train into Nagasaki to maximize our time there and in Miyajima.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.