Wiki Posts
Search

BYO on Domestic Flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FT
BYO on Domestic Flights

They sell cans in the many shops past security at most airports in japan. Is it perfectly acceptable to BYO and serve yourself. I think I even saw some small bottles of the generic Yamazaki also...not any of the aged stuff. The 300mls or so.

I know being lit up is an issue as the funny JAl videos show about the same.

Just wondered if it was ok to do the same. I know it is fine to crack open a can in the terminal while waiting for your flight.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:42 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Yep, no issues at all. In fact, Japanese airlines require (or at least strongly encourage) you to bring alcoholic beverages onboard rather than check them in your luggage.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
Yep, no issues at all. In fact, Japanese airlines require (or at least strongly encourage) you to bring alcoholic beverages onboard rather than check them in your luggage.
thanks. i know that since when we had our bags x-ray'd before we checked in for a flight out of FUK, they asked us to take out our bottles of whiskey we have purchased at the Yamazaki distillery and we got worried that they would not allow them in our carry on....no problem...[so civilized...]

i just did not know if you could crack open your own. this is useful information.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I saw businessmen at Kumamoto Airport boarding an 8am flight while drinking a large draft beer. No one batted an eye.

Could not help think that a stunt like that in many other parts of the world would equal instant arrest.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I have never flown ANA premium class. I expect that they serve alcohol up front? Not sure why economy is bone dry; they could probably make some money selling beer, but I guess the idea is to keep simple and not have to deal with paid transactions.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:15 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by mkjr
thanks. i know that since when we had our bags x-ray'd before we checked in for a flight out of FUK, they asked us to take out our bottles of whiskey we have purchased at the Yamazaki distillery and we got worried that they would not allow them in our carry on....no problem...[so civilized...]
For unopened bottles or cans, they'll simply x-ray them, but for opened plastic bottles of water, tea, etc. they'll check the density using a scanner and possibly ask you to drink it. Quite civilized indeed.

Originally Posted by gnaget
I have never flown ANA premium class. I expect that they serve alcohol up front? Not sure why economy is bone dry; they could probably make some money selling beer, but I guess the idea is to keep simple and not have to deal with paid transactions.
NH does sell beer, and other food and beverages, in Y. The selection varies month to month and by route.

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/loc...oice/meal.html

Food and beverage in F is complimentary.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnaget
I now realize why they sell beer at the shops. I honestly have not been to any airport in my travels that does that.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
For unopened bottles or cans, they'll simply x-ray them, but for opened plastic bottles of water, tea, etc. they'll check the density using a scanner and possibly ask you to drink it. Quite civilized indeed.
Or just wave a whiff of the vapors from the top of the bottle at their nose and pronounce it "OK desu"...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.