Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Equal (you know the blue packets of sweetener)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

Do they have Equal in Japan? is it common if they do?

If there is one thing I'm anal about is having Equal in my coffee in the a.m.

I've learned to take it to Europe with me. Heck our office in the UK was happy when I left a baggie of it with them after I left.

I guess I'm asking, will I need to bring my own equal?

I hate sweet n low and am not a huge fan of splenda but I could force it down if I had too
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:41 pm

Yes. No. Probably.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some coffee shops have calorie-free sweetener. Most do not. Starbucks will probably have something.

The brands are not the same as found in the USA. The Park Hyatt provides blue packets, for example, but it is not Equal. Possibly it is a locally branded version of the same product but I am not sure about that.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
You can have some delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B00DZFAB6K
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I think it depends on where you will be having coffee. At the - er - less swanky business hotels I tend to use, I have never seen any sweetener on the tables other than regular sugar, the old fashioned kind. I suspect the higher class places will be more accommodating. As others have mentioned, you are likely to see local brands of things, rather than the US brands to which you are accustomed.

As an aside, the sugar I have seen is in interesting long, narrow "sticks" rather than the packets we are more used to. Kind of cute.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Ajinomoto Pal Sweet is aspartame == Equal.

NH lounge at NRT has these
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by tide
Ajinomoto Pal Sweet is aspartame == Equal.

NH lounge at NRT has these
Yes, Ajinomoto is the world's largest producer of Aspartame. Personally, I think it tastes horrible and there are questions lingering about safety.

One sweetener that is common in Japan is sugar syrup or more precisely gomme syrup. It is sugar syrup with gum arabic added to prevent crystallization. You see that everywhere.

I think there are artificial sweetener packs in most coffee places. Probably this Pal Sweet stuff but also Splenda.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:43 pm
In memoriam

Just pack some in your luggage (it's not like it will put your luggage over weight limit )! I use non-dairy creamer in my coffee (Coffee-mate) and always bring it with me when I travel.

More important than coffee things are some drug things that people can easily buy OTC at home - but which are either unavailable or available only by Rx in other countries. Drugs like this include Pepto Bismol and Milk of Magnesia in my experience.

If you think you will likely need something like this - and there's even a possibility you won't find it abroad - take it with you. Better safe than sorry. Robyn
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by robyng
Just pack some in your luggage (it's not like it will put your luggage over weight limit )! I use non-dairy creamer in my coffee (Coffee-mate) and always bring it with me when I travel.

More important than coffee things are some drug things that people can easily buy OTC at home - but which are either unavailable or available only by Rx in other countries. Drugs like this include Pepto Bismol and Milk of Magnesia in my experience.

If you think you will likely need something like this - and there's even a possibility you won't find it abroad - take it with you. Better safe than sorry. Robyn
I'm gathering a baggie full of equal now

I'm also going to buy a container of Tums, those things are priceless at certain times
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:37 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm gathering a baggie full of equal now

I'm also going to buy a container of Tums, those things are priceless at certain times
Way to go IMO ^. Have a great trip. Robyn
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Coals to Newcastle. :-)
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:59 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by gnaget
Coals to Newcastle. :-)
Could be. And - if so - so be it. But who wants to spend even 10 minutes of a first day in a great place hunting around for little nonsense like this? Robyn
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:33 am
sfx

If I was that anal about anything, I'd just take it anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Do they have Equal in Japan? is it common if they do?

If there is one thing I'm anal about is having Equal in my coffee in the a.m.

I've learned to take it to Europe with me. Heck our office in the UK was happy when I left a baggie of it with them after I left.

I guess I'm asking, will I need to bring my own equal?

I hate sweet n low and am not a huge fan of splenda but I could force it down if I had too
Amen! Impressed that you can tell the difference b/t Equal and Splenda in your coffee. I am an iced tea freak and really have to carry it in my purse at all times since some restaurants in the U.S. don't have it. Guess it's harder to fit enough for a trip to japan.

Last edited by thucanhho; Aug 11, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thucanhho
Amen! Impressed by can tell the difference b/t Equal and Splenda I'm your coffee. I am an iced tea freak and really have to carry it in my purse at all times since some restaurants in the U.S. Don't have it. Guess it's harder to fit enough for a trip to japan.
I actually didn't mind the blue stuff here and could live with it if I had too. However I have enough where I keep a few on me especially in the a.m. when having coffee.

like right now, I'm off to the lounge to get coffee and am bringing some up with me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.