Wiki Posts
Search

Sapporo Hotels - Sold Out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sapporo Hotels - Sold Out

I'm looking for a hotel in Sapporo for the night of July 26. Everything within an hour or two of Sapporo is sold out on all the normal hotel booking sites.

Is there some Japanese booking site or other secret I can use to get a room in the city that night?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
How about the following?
Rakuten Travel from Japan .
Agoda from Thailand.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Within the city limits of Sapporo, the only thing I can find is the Sapporo Prince Hotel for 46,200JPY. While summer is a popular season in Hokkaido, there must be some sort of special event going on to sell everything out.

Link
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Scifience
... there must be some sort of special event going on to sell everything out.
Yeah, I checked the ones I have used or know of with similar results.

Looks like the Jazz Festival, the Art Festival and a huge fireworks show. I wouldn't think those would sell everything out but you never know.

https://www.city.sapporo.jp/keizai/k...2014-2015.html

Might want to check Otaru or Tomakomai. Otaru is closer but likely expensive. Tomakomai between 45 min - 1 hour but has more choices. I know there is a Comfort Hotel that is reasonable. EDIT: Oops. That one shows not available. Others had the same idea.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Jul 11, 2014 at 10:28 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
OP must be lucky. The big event is a fireworks festival in central Sapporo.
http://seesapporo.com/event/toyohira...orks-festival/
English info

I would stay in Chitose or Tomakomai city which are in commutable distance by train.

Expedia is showing availability on a single room at Route Inn Tomakomai Ekimae for about 6000 yen. Last two rooms they are having in these two cities on that night!

Last edited by O Sora; Jul 11, 2014 at 7:49 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:28 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
It happens quite a lot during the peak summer weekends, regardless of special events. This weekend was also booked fairly solid, though availability opened up quite a lot from about Wednesday. The uncertain path of the typhoon probably helped, but I advise the OP to make a booking somewhere in the general vicinity of Sapporo/Otaru/Chitose, then keep checking daily on Rakuten Travel, etc. to see what opens up as people cancel.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
You keep checking the hotel sites, especially those based in Japan. Cancellations happen all the time, such as at any of the Toyoko Inn's.

I ran into the same problem during the autumn festival, kept checking daily, snapping up single rooms, and eventually got a twin.

Using Japanese booking sites rakuten or Jalan, double/twin rooms currently available at Prince (46200, prepaid - unusual requirement)

Using the last resort: travel.navitime.co.jp novotel sapporo available via nta.co.jp . On the English version of nta.co.jp , you can get Hashimoto (a very budget place) - 5 rooms available. Bookings with nta is prepaid. I had to use them when I tried to book Sapporo, but cancelled and got full refund after I found a room at Toyoko Inn.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I've managed to secure a place outside of town for Saturday night and will keep checking the sites you recommend. I have three nights there and right now it's three different hotels.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Doppy
Thanks for the suggestions. I've managed to secure a place outside of town for Saturday night and will keep checking the sites you recommend. I have three nights there and right now it's three different hotels.
Sapporo and Hokkaido in general has rather good public transport. Don't shy away from planning your accommodation based on train minutes instead of actual distance.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:07 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at a Route Inn in northern Hokkaido recently -- they are cheap and definitely basic. Another reason why I should never trust Trip Advisor! Wonder if it is worth posting some reviews here of the Hokkaido hotels I stayed at?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I stayed at a Route Inn in northern Hokkaido recently -- they are cheap and definitely basic. Another reason why I should never trust Trip Advisor! Wonder if it is worth posting some reviews here of the Hokkaido hotels I stayed at?
I'd be interested in seeing the comparison between what Trip Advisor said and the reality you experienced.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Couldn't hurt. I think your perspective will be a bit different from mine and some others.

I have used the Route Inn network several times over the years, including a couple in Hokkaido - Abashiri and Sapporo Eki-mae. They are right in my wheelhouse, cheap, clean, on-site coin laundry, wi-fi and close to the stations. I realize others have somewhat higher expectations of their hotel choices.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
They are right in my wheelhouse, cheap, clean, on-site coin laundry, wi-fi and close to the stations. I realize others have somewhat higher expectations of their hotel choices.
Definitely not the place to take your sweetheart for a romantic getaway but perfectly serviceable for a route-inn trip.

(Sorry).
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by jib71
... a route-inn trip. (Sorry).
You should be. Ouch!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:54 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did the reviews in the Hokkaido thread I started, which seemed the logical place to put it:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.