Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by abraxis
What kinds of J-whisky has been spotted at Kansai (KIX)? Wasn't sure if it was appropriate to start a new whisky thread.
was at KIX terminal 2 last week and spotted Hibiki 21, yamazaki 18 and hakushu 18 each for 50000
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:13 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Just completed a ~2 week stay in Japan. The Whiskey situation has become more dire if anything. You can walk around all day without seeing a single reasonably priced bottle with age statement.

Duty free and major department stores have some stock, but outrageously priced. As mentioned above, 50k is the going rate for Yama/Hak 18 or Hibiki 21.

Donkis have been pretty dry compared to my March/April trip. Donkis, of course, fall into three categories: The neighborhood Donki, which has nothing with age statement and probably didn't when the stuff was plentiful; the clusterf* Donki (identifiable by a line around the building of visitors from certain neighboring countries who are waiting to have their duty free forms processed) where you run the risk of being trampled if a shipment of Harmony or bottom shelf stuff comes in; and the slightly-more-upscale Donki (in fairly affluent locations, perhaps frequented by expats, but not on the tourist circuit) -- the latter is the only worth visiting.

BIC Camera has some really strong locations -- there was nothing good in Tokyo and Sapporo, but the Namba store again shone, with the following in stock:

Kurayoshi 33 -- 148k
Kurayoshi 25 -- 49800
Kurayoshi 18 -- 12k
Kurayoshi 12 -- 6980
Kurayoshi 8 -- 7480
Nikka 12 -- 5580
Hakushu 18 -- 24800
Hibiki and Yamazaki minis -- 780

Of course, one finds the best deals when not looking -- I stumbled upon a sizeable stock of Yamazaki 12 in some random non-chain convenience store in Hakdodate, priced at 8400.

Another wild card are the consignment/re-sellers that can be found in touristy and less savory areas. I stumbled upon one in Susukino that had Hakushu 18 for 25k -- the bottles looked ok, but of course one never knows.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx

Kurayoshi 33 -- 148k
Kurayoshi 25 -- 49800
Kurayoshi 18 -- 12k
Kurayoshi 12 -- 6980
Kurayoshi 8 -- 7480

Wow?! Now Kurayoshi is releasing a 25 and 33 year? Wonder what old cheap no-name scotch they bought in Scotland to bottle that overpriced sucker?

The only bigger fools are the ones who buy it.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Jigen666
Wow?! Now Kurayoshi is releasing a 25 and 33 year? Wonder what old cheap no-name scotch they bought in Scotland to bottle that overpriced sucker?

The only bigger fools are the ones who buy it.
I was very surprised to see these -- had never heard of them. However, I do give the store credit for finding stock -- carrying Hak 18 and Nikka 12 plus these, umm, unusual ones shows that they make an effort. Much better than the dozens of stores that simply throw their hands in the air and say, sorry, can't get anything.

I didn't buy anything on this trip, and indeed think that for those of us residing in the US, that market holds much better prices (and more hope for finding product) than Japan.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I was very surprised to see these -- had never heard of them. However, I do give the store credit for finding stock -- carrying Hak 18 and Nikka 12 plus these, umm, unusual ones shows that they make an effort. Much better than the dozens of stores that simply throw their hands in the air and say, sorry, can't get anything.

I didn't buy anything on this trip, and indeed think that for those of us residing in the US, that market holds much better prices (and more hope for finding product) than Japan.
The Nikka 12 is quite widely available from what I recall. Liquores Hasegawa, Yamaya, etc all carry it for ~6000 yen. It's worth picking up because it's not available in the US.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
What is the current situation at Narita Duty Free? One store in particular in Terminal 1 near Satellite 3 had quite a decent stock at reasonable prices. No more?

Will be flying out early September and looking to bring some home as a gift.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, Alaska MVP 50, Marriott 100 night, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist

Of course, one finds the best deals when not looking -- I stumbled upon a sizeable stock of Yamazaki 12 in some random non-chain convenience store in Hakdodate, priced at 8400.
I am in Hakodate now and looking for something to bring back. Do you happen to remember the name of the convenience store or roughly where it is located?

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
What is the current situation at Narita Duty Free? One store in particular in Terminal 1 near Satellite 3 had quite a decent stock at reasonable prices. No more?

If you're lucky you'll find Hakushu 18, Yamazaki 18 or Hibiki 21 for 50,000 yen. The reasonable prices are long gone.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by MegatopLover

See this post a few above yours:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28651235-post617.html
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:30 pm

Flew out of HND half a week ago. Didn't see any Hibiki or Yamazaki but didn't look particularly hard either, since Japan wasn't the last leg of my trip and I prefer not to check luggage. Ended up with some Kavalan from Taiwan.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Originally Posted by invalyd
The Nikka 12 is quite widely available from what I recall. Liquores Hasegawa, Yamaya, etc all carry it for ~6000 yen. It's worth picking up because it's not available in the US.
Nikka 12 seems pretty available in Shinjuku as well. Liquor Mountain had it for ~5K yen, BIC for 6K.

In terms of age stated, didn't find much else in Shinjuku outside of a tiny little wine store on 3 stores down from Liquor Mountain.

Picked up Hibiki 17 for 18K and a few Hibiki 17 mini's for 1.3K a pop.

On the shelf were some age stated bottles;

Hibiki 21 - ~42K
Hakushu 12 - ~12K
Yamazaki 12 - ~12K
Yamazaki 25 - ~120K - was tempted by this one but passed since I didn't have the cash on hand and am now on a train to Kyoto... Really regretting it now.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by esquesk
Nikka 12 seems pretty available in Shinjuku as well. Liquor Mountain had it for ~5K yen, BIC for 6K.

In terms of age stated, didn't find much else in Shinjuku outside of a tiny little wine store on 3 stores down from Liquor Mountain.

Picked up Hibiki 17 for 18K and a few Hibiki 17 mini's for 1.3K a pop.

On the shelf were some age stated bottles;

Hibiki 21 - ~42K
Hakushu 12 - ~12K
Yamazaki 12 - ~12K
Yamazaki 25 - ~120K - was tempted by this one but passed since I didn't have the cash on hand and am now on a train to Kyoto... Really regretting it now.
Where did you find the Hibiki 17? Hoping to snag a bottle when I'm there next month
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Liquors Hasegawa has 17 for that price
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
Not today it doesn't! Just been in and they are sold out. Agree that finding the good whiskies in Japan is tough! Now regret not buying more of the 50ml Hibiki 17 year old small bottles in Hiroshima...
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Irish lad
Not today it doesn't! Just been in and they are sold out. Agree that finding the good whiskies in Japan is tough! Now regret not buying more of the 50ml Hibiki 17 year old small bottles in Hiroshima...
If you're buying for your own consumption, the 50ml bottles are the way to go. Much more widely available and often cheaper. They are generally available at loft stores (including the one in Shibuya), even though the prices there are higher (>800y vs ~750 at BIC and non chain stores).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.