Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
I'm heading to Osaka and plan to visit the Suntory distillery during my stay. I'd like to get a gift for someone who is getting married and really likes Yamazaki. Does the distillery carry anything that can't be found at a retail store or duty free (and preferably something that can't be found in the US)? All else being the same, is there any reason to buy at the distillery instead of duty free or retail?

Would there be any issue with bringing a bottle (or 3) with me while I TWOV in China?
Yes. They should carry small 300mL bottles of Yamazaki Single Malt. That is all that it is labelled as.

http://www.hiohio.net/uploads/1/5/1/...l-blog.jpg?587

It is young Yamazaki. 2 per person i recall. The W whisky shop that has closed use to have limited releases every once and a while.

Happy to have others confirm if there is anything else - FYI, this was a year ago. YMMV
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:05 pm

Thanks, 2 per person so his and hers (only he'll drink hers).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: FT
Thanks, 2 per person so his and hers (only he'll drink hers).
the first bottle i bought was 2012 at the advice of a local and it was only 1400Y as i recall.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:19 pm

I'm heading to Osaka and plan to visit the Suntory distillery during my stay. I'd like to get a gift for someone who is getting married and really likes Yamazaki. Does the distillery carry anything that can't be found at a retail store or duty free (and preferably something that can't be found in the US)? All else being the same, is there any reason to buy at the distillery instead of duty free or retail?

Would there be any issue with bringing a bottle (or 3) with me while I TWOV in China?
1) Do you have a reservation for the distillery visit? They won't even let you inside to the gift shop without one.

2) The only things worth getting at the distillery is the Yamazaki LE 2016, or Yamazaki 25, if you can afford it, let alone find it. There is some non age 300ml bottle that's a distillery exclusive, but it's cheap and not much of a gift.

3) If you take the time to read this thread you'll discover that the duty-free Yamazaki is the worst value they sell in Japan. Double the price for a prettier bottle.

4) China limits foreigners to 2 alcohol bottles. Bring more at your own risk.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

Thanks. I'm hopeful that I can make the reservation a few days before I go. Thanks especially for item 4. I hope that I can get my bottles shipped in that case.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Thanks. I'm hopeful that I can make the reservation a few days before I go. Thanks especially for item 4. I hope that I can get my bottles shipped in that case.
Check now! Tours were out about 6-8 weeks when I checked in January. Forgot to do it in advance. The closest I got was a view of the distillery from the shinkansen as we left.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Check now! Tours were out about 6-8 weeks when I checked in January. Forgot to do it in advance. The closest I got was a view of the distillery from the shinkansen as we left.
And if it's full. Keep checking back on the site . People cancel all the time.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jigen666
If you can't get a tour reservation, you can still book a visit to the library and tasting counter. I was able to try Hibiki 30 there for a reasonable price.
http://www.suntory.com/factory/yamaz...spection/free/
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:31 am

Hibiki 21

visited Big , Ginza last week
hibiki 21 is nowĄ32000!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, HH
I'm heading the other way - up north to the Yoichi Distillery next month. Anyone know if there are any good items to purchase at the distillery or alternatively around Sapporo?

Thanks.

Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Anything that still flies F
Originally Posted by markkhookt
hibiki 21 is nowĄ32000!
NOOOOOO! Was going to be there next week and was still hoping to find it sub-30K
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by markkhookt
hibiki 21 is nowĄ32000!
It was actually 29,800 JPY for me last week when a friend purchased it for me. With tax though it does come out to be around 32,000.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Originally Posted by Jigen666
Thanks for the advice. Reservation made. Looking forward to it!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by illumina0
It was actually 29,800 JPY for me last week when a friend purchased it for me. With tax though it does come out to be around 32,000.
Probably from all the FT'ers picking it up. Glad I got mine for 22,000 back in December. Still not a terrible deal considering most stores sell it for 50k.

Last edited by invalyd; Apr 5, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:38 pm

Was there yesterday. They have signs in the store stating that they dont have any Yamazaki (Known) and Hibiki (17,21) on stock anymore. I just asked and there is a single bottle of Hibiki 21 left for 29,800Yen excluding tax.

So glad that I just picked up my Hibiki 21 in Osaka for 27k including tax this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.