Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
I am at Narita right now, and all of the stores carrying Yamazaki whisky are completely sold out. I spoke with a salesperson and she said they are frequently sold out. I did see it in many stores in Tokyo, so if you really want this, you might not want to count on finding it at the airport.
Ahh okay good to hear - yeah it's selling out like crazy everywhere. The ABC store (state-run liquor store) near me in North Carolina stocks Yamazaki 12 but they've resorted to giving me their phone number and telling me to just call before I come in because it's selling out the second it hits the shelf if they even get it at all
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:11 pm
F 1

My brother just returned from Tokyo (via HND) and indicated he had a heck of a time trying to find a bottle of Hibiki in most stores in Tokyo.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Hibiki starts from 12 years, where whisky has sit in a barrel for 12 years so number of bottles of 12 years Hibiki available was determined 12 years ago. Suntory whisky has become popular lately but there is no way to increase number of bottles available in market just because it has become popular.

Shortage of Hibiki at liquor stores will continue for next few years long as popularity of Hibiki continues. This is nothing liquor stores or Suntory can do about it…
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by F 1
My brother just returned from Tokyo (via HND) and indicated he had a heck of a time trying to find a bottle of Hibiki in most stores in Tokyo.
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Hibiki starts from 12 years, where whisky has sit in a barrel for 12 years so number of bottles of 12 years Hibiki available was determined 12 years ago. Suntory whisky has become popular lately but there is no way to increase number of bottles available in market just because it has become popular.

Shortage of Hibiki at liquor stores will continue for next few years long as popularity of Hibiki continues. This is nothing liquor stores or Suntory can do about it…
That's disappointing. Thankfully I grabbed a bottle of Yamazaki 18 stateside (ezras.com has a phenomenal selection and ships to NC).

However I'm getting low on the Hibiki 17 I grabbed last year (on the what now seems ridiculously cheap 8000 yen) and really hopping to be able to grab 2 bottles when I'm in Japan in 5 weeks from either local department store / liquor store or the NRT / HND duty free (will be in both though NRT only to connect JL International to JL Domestic)
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Condition One
If you have a United branded credit card, you get 10% off at the ANA Duty Free store. I picked up a bottle of Yamakazi 18 for ~$140 that way a few months ago. They also had Nikka 21 Taketsuru.
If we are arriving Narita, are we able to visit here or is this only for departures?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
No, airport duty free shops are for departing passengers only in Japan.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Not quite at HND/NRT or duty-free, but when researching places to buy in Tokyo for my dad, I kept stumbling across recommendations for this place in Tokyo Station:

www.liquors-hasegawa.com

Easy enough to stop in if you're taking the N'EX to NRT.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Not quite at HND/NRT or duty-free, but when researching places to buy in Tokyo for my dad, I kept stumbling across recommendations for this place in Tokyo Station:

www.liquors-hasegawa.com

Easy enough to stop in if you're taking the N'EX to NRT.
this place is great!! now if i was posting TR's, i'd post a picture of some of the stuff and you can try it too...NOTE - they do not take credit cards!! don't get me started about why i don't post TR's.

cash only. but there is a 7-11 around the corner that takes foreign cards.

price was not as good for the Nikka 17 i bought versus the airport but not horrible.

they did have the 18 year old Kirin that i had not seen before that i grabbed...

http://www.scotchblog.ca/scotch_blog...ld-whisky.html
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by mkjr
this place is great!! now if i was posting TR's, i'd post a picture of some of the stuff and you can try it too...NOTE - they do not take credit cards!! don't get me started about why i don't post TR's.

cash only. but there is a 7-11 around the corner that takes foreign cards.
Good to know, I would've assumed with CC logos plastered on the site that it wouldn't be a problem.

price was not as good for the Nikka 17 i bought versus the airport but not horrible.

they did have the 18 year old Kirin that i had not seen before that i grabbed...

http://www.scotchblog.ca/scotch_blog...ld-whisky.html
Do you remember roughly how much the difference was? If it's marginal I'll probably just grab it so I don't risk finding that it's sold out at the airport.
Mitchydean0103 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Good to know, I would've assumed with CC logos plastered on the site that it wouldn't be a problem.

Do you remember roughly how much the difference was? If it's marginal I'll probably just grab it so I don't risk finding that it's sold out at the airport.
Sorrry, I said Nikka but I meant hibiki 17. I recall it was 8800 at the airport and about 9500 at the Daimaru in Tokyo station. And 10000 at hasegawa.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:13 pm

Kirin 18

How much did you purchase the Kirin 18 for?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by mbhat74
How much did you purchase the Kirin 18 for?
I think is was 19000 or 20000Y.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:31 pm

Btw, in NYC, picked up 3 bottles of the hibiki 12 for 67$us a bottle. 75cl bottles so decent. Price. Bought at Astor.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle

The current drama program “Massan” is based on a real life story of Masataka Taketsuru (竹鶴 政孝).
A little late but I wanted to thank you for this great synopsis. I'm watching Massan sporadically but I'm always amazed at the lead actress who speaks Japanese in the dorama by memorizing her lines phonetically.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:01 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I knew I should have picked up the Yamazaki 18 last time I was at NRT; they were sold out this time through. I did pick up some Hibiki 17 (8000 yen), and a Nikka Taketsuru 17 for a bargain at 3500 yen. I'd bought a couple of the other (younger) Taketsurus in the US for double that previously, and have seen them as much as quadruple that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.