Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NeTWorKz
How come you didn't stock up when Costco had Hibiki 12/17yo's?
Wasn't in San Francisco at the time (was in China so no ability to even make an attempt). I'm hoping another shipment comes in the near future.

It's a shame to see the great prices at NRT and HND slowly go away. Hopefully Nikka doesn't follow the greedy path of Suntory and produce a tourist only version of their NAS that raises the price through the roof
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Duke787
Wasn't in San Francisco at the time (was in China so no ability to even make an attempt). I'm hoping another shipment comes in the near future.

It's a shame to see the great prices at NRT and HND slowly go away. Hopefully Nikka doesn't follow the greedy path of Suntory and produce a tourist only version of their NAS that raises the price through the roof
thought there was a post up thread about Nikka's plans. at least they are being transparent about it.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:43 pm

Smile

Hi everyone,
I live in Tokyo and a family member has asked me to bring back some Japanese whiskey (specifically Nikka or Hibiki) in the 12~18 year range. I am not a whiskey drinker myself so I've never tried to buy any - does anyone know what the situation is like at Narita these days? I'm debating whether to try and pick some bottles up at retail but then I remembered duty free - but judging by the posts this year, it sounds like the markup at duty free has been pretty harsh...

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:19 am

Don't buy at Narita. Earlier this month, the same bottle of Hibiki 12 that cost ~Y6,000 in the city was Y10,000 (or was it Y12,000?) at the airport.

Also, vintage Nikka Yoichi is practically unobtainable at the moment, and the price of anything >15 yo has shot through the roof. NRT was advertising Hibiki 30 for Y250,000 a pop (>US$2000), and they were still sold out.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:29 pm

Personally, I think this is a silly idea and waste of time and something that could be of more value. Come on suntory. Spend more money on producing more.

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news/world/2015/07/31/japanese-whisky-set-to-blast-off-into-space.html
Old Aug 9, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
For those of you in the SF Bay Area, the Redwood City location is the only Costco that has any Hibiki in stock. I went there yesterday and loaded up. They had 30 bottles when I got there, and only 20 when I left.

They had the 12 and 17 year. I doubt it'll be around after another day or so.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by kyee
For those of you in the SF Bay Area, the Redwood City location is the only Costco that has any Hibiki in stock. I went there yesterday and loaded up. They had 30 bottles when I got there, and only 20 when I left.

nice score.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kyee

Just saw this and called. Said they only had the 12 year left - bummer, I would've bolted over there if they still had 17.

Maybe they'll make one more shipment between now and the end of August when I go back to the East Coast.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:39 am

ah, that sucks they were already out of the 17. They definitely still had some bottles of both when I left.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:42 pm

Was in Narita today (Terminal 1) heading home to the US. Picked up a lot of Japan whisky while in Japan (including a Yamazaki 18 & Yamazaki Limited Edition 2015, Hibiki 17, plus other brands, Ichiro's Malt, Mars, White Oak), in department stores, liquor shops and Bic Camera. Supplies are decent for the 12 year versions, but 18 years are limited throughout Japan, but if you're persistent or lucky, you may come a store that gets a few in on the day you visit. But Narita is a major no-no if you want to get good whisky at reasonable prices. They've got 3 of the popular aged Suntory Whiskys single malts Yamazaki 18, Hakushu 18 and the blended Hibiki 17 & 30 all the "Travel Editions", in stock. The only difference between the travel editions and the regular aged editions, is the fancier bottle, with etching and box (wooden, as opposed to cardboard). It's still the same exact aged whisky. The price difference is, however, significant.

Yamazaki 18 (purchased at Bic Camera) = 24,000 Yen (no tax)
Yamazaki 18 Travel edition(at Narita Airport Duty Free) = 50,000 Yen

Hakushu 18 (purchased at Mitsukoshi) = 22,000 yen (no tax)
Hakushu 18 Travel edition (at Narita Airport Duty Free) = 50,000 Yen

Hibiki 17 (purchased at Mitsukoshi) = 12,500 yen (no tax)
Hibiki 17 Travel edition (at Narita Airport Duty Free) = 40,000 Yen
Hibiki 30 Travel edition (at Narita Airport Duty Free) = 500,000 Yen

Even other country's whisky is much cheaper outside Narita.

Johnny Walker Blue 750 ml(at Narita Airport Duty Free) = 20,000 Yen
Johnny Walker Blue 750 ml(at Japanese Super Market) = 12,900 Yen.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Jigen666
Was in Narita today (Terminal 1) heading home to the US. Picked up a lot of Japan whisky while in Japan (including a Yamazaki 18 & Yamazaki Limited Edition 2015, Hibiki 17, plus other brands, Ichiro's Malt, Mars, White Oak), in department stores, liquor shops and Bic Camera. Supplies are decent for the 12 year versions, but 18 years are limited throughout Japan, but if you're persistent or lucky, you may come a store that gets a few in on the day you visit. But Narita is a major no-no if you want to get good whisky at reasonable prices. They've got 3 of the popular aged Suntory Whiskys single malts Yamazaki 18, Hakushu 18 and the blended Hibiki 17 & 30 all the "Travel Editions", in stock. The only difference between the travel editions and the regular aged editions, is the fancier bottle, with etching and box (wooden, as opposed to cardboard). It's still the same exact aged whisky. The price difference is, however, significant.

Yamazaki 18 (purchased at Bic Camera) = 24,000 Yen (no tax)
Yamazaki 18 Travel edition(at Narita Airport Duty Free) = 50,000 Yen

Hakushu 18 (purchased at Mitsukoshi) = 22,000 yen (no tax)
Hakushu 18 Travel edition (at Narita Airport Duty Free) = 50,000 Yen

Hibiki 17 (purchased at Mitsukoshi) = 12,500 yen (no tax)
Hibiki 17 Travel edition (at Narita Airport Duty Free) = 40,000 Yen
Hibiki 30 Travel edition (at Narita Airport Duty Free) = 500,000 Yen

Even other country's whisky is much cheaper outside Narita.

Johnny Walker Blue 750 ml(at Narita Airport Duty Free) = 20,000 Yen
Johnny Walker Blue 750 ml(at Japanese Super Market) = 12,900 Yen.
great information. looks like i will be bringing protective bags to pack purchased stuff in my luggage during my trip in march for anything that i buy. what a great price for the JW Blue.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
great information. looks like i will be bringing protective bags to pack purchased stuff in my luggage during my trip in march for anything that i buy. what a great price for the JW Blue.
That supermarket is called Seijo Ishii, which you can find at, or next to, several Tokyo JR stations in a shopping center called Atre (JR East owns the shopping center). I saw the JWB at both Ebisu and Akihabara stations in Tokyo. Most of their prices are low on alcohol, but there is no Tax free offerings there.

Good luck.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:50 pm

How much were the Hibiki 12 & 17 at Costco?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by mbhat74
How much were the Hibiki 12 & 17 at Costco?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...whiskey-5.html

$55 and $120
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:48 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Picked up a Hibiki Harmony yesterday. Glad I have some 12 and 17 already, given the move to NAS... I do wonder how it will compare to say, the 12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.