Search

Looking for something different in Japan

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
You brought it up in Post 50
fine, I sidetracked it.

Originally Posted by Pickles
Westward, I think it's all crud until you get to Takao-san, Ome, and Okutama. I love Okutama, really a nice place. Northward, all crap until Annakaharuna or closer to Nikko. Southward, you have to go all the way past Atami, into Izu-hanto before declaring victory. And East, it doesn't lose its cruddy patina until Narita town and beyond, although the Northeast angle at Mito and Tsukuba isn't too bad.
You basically like the countryside. Well, I can respect that. I have fond childhood memories of the Okutama area.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As my kid will be starting school in September I am faced with the reality of summer visits to Tokyo in the coming years, something I have managed to avoid up until now.

I was haunted by this prospect but am not quite so worried anymore as I have a plan.

Where will I, a repeat visitor to Tokyo, want to base myself in August?

Kawasaki? Nope. But will be visiting my favourite park there.

Tachikawa city? Tempted. Close to Showa Kinen Koen AND Mt Takao.

My intention is to spend as much time as possible inside Kasai Rinkai Park. You'll find me in a UV Tent camp luxuriating in the sea breeze on some roll up tatami. There's a beach, BBQ area, playground, some woods and the toilets are clean. Winner: Edogawa.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by LapLap
As my kid will be starting school in September I am faced with the reality of summer visits to Tokyo in the coming years, something I have managed to avoid up until now.

I was haunted by this prospect but am not quite so worried anymore as I have a plan.

My intention is to spend as much time as possible inside Kasai Rinkai Park. You'll find me in a UV Tent camp luxuriating in the sea breeze on some roll up tatami. There's a beach, BBQ area, playground, some woods and the toilets are clean. Winner: Edogawa.
Been there.....once.....only! In the summer it's like the rest of Tokyo but with the humidity doubled. You'll be nicely caked with salt and suitably sticky in about 15 minutes.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
Been there.....once.....only! In the summer it's like the rest of Tokyo but with the humidity doubled. You'll be nicely caked with salt and suitably sticky in about 15 minutes.
Last year's August heatwave was exceptional.

You might have said the same thing about being up in the mountains in my part of Spain when it climbed to 42C one June not so long ago. The breeze blew hot like it had come in from an oven and it was, unusually, way more uncomfortable being there than in the city.
It happens, but it isn't exactly normal when it does.

When it reached 28C this month there was no denying that it was utterly, utterly blissful at Kasai Rinkai Koen. I'd started to struggle with the heat elsewhere.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Last year's August heatwave was exceptional.

You might have said the same thing about being up in the mountains in my part of Spain when it climbed to 42C one June not so long ago. The breeze blew hot like it had come in from an oven and it was, unusually, way more uncomfortable being there than in the city.
It happens, but it isn't exactly normal when it does.

When it reached 28C this month there was no denying that it was utterly, utterly blissful at Kasai Rinkai Koen. I'd started to struggle with the heat elsewhere.
Go for, but don't say I didn't warn you.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5khours
Go for, but don't say I didn't warn you.
Got it. Nevertheless, am returning the favour, you should try a repeat visit before the summer reaches its peak.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:49 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Westward, I think it's all crud until you get to Takao-san, Ome, and Okutama. I love Okutama, really a nice place. Northward, all crap until Annakaharuna or closer to Nikko. Southward, you have to go all the way past Atami, into Izu-hanto before declaring victory. And East, it doesn't lose its cruddy patina until Narita town and beyond, although the Northeast angle at Mito and Tsukuba isn't too bad.

There are pockets here and there, of course. Nokogiryama in Chiba comes to mind, very neat, and Kamakura and the Enoshima area are quite nice.
How about Shorinzan?
Old May 15, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
Let me set some arbitrary parameters -
- Outside the Yamanote line
- Within 30km of Nihonbashi as the karasu flies
Old May 15, 2014, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by mjm
I was half way through that paragraph when i started hearing your voice saying it. Nearly choked on my lunch with the laughter.

Kinda agree wholeheartedly.
You mean in that unedited, snarky undertone that says "here, let me tell you how it actually works, you dolt"? Sometimes it gets confused for exactly that, when it is meant to be friendly.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by evergrn
fine, I sidetracked it.

You basically like the countryside. Well, I can respect that. I have fond childhood memories of the Okutama area.
Yes, I like the countryside. I also like urban Japan. But core-urban, which is fancy-speak for (referring to Tokyo) "inside the Yamanote". It's that faceless, sad sack of shite suburban ring that makes me want to poke my eyes out.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
How about Shorinzan?
Interesting, never been. Just googled it and saw that there is a gallery dedicated to Bruno Taut, of all people. Also, seems to be a center of worship for Obaku Zen Buddhism. The authority on Obaku Zen happens to be a Swiss guy by the name of Dieter Schwaller.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:13 am
mjm
Original Member

That's the one. Punctuated by increasing chuckles. Had me in stitches and subsequently explaining my apparently random laughter to colleagues who had also brought bentos.
Old May 15, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by mjm
I was half way through that paragraph when i started hearing your voice saying it. Nearly choked on my lunch with the laughter.

Kinda agree wholeheartedly.
Typical nonsense from Pickles. I think the two top places to live in metro Tokyo are Shoto and Yamate/The Bluff. I think Yokohama is generally a more livable place.
Old May 15, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congrats on the kid starting school , but as you note too bad about the summer holidays. My friend used to take her kids to Okinawa during the summer, as Kyushu is so ridiculous ( she was bringing her kids to visit her folks in Fukuoka) ! I often find Bangkok cooler !
Old May 15, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I like the countryside. I also like urban Japan. But core-urban, which is fancy-speak for (referring to Tokyo) "inside the Yamanote". It's that faceless, sad sack of shite suburban ring that makes me want to poke my eyes out.
LOL !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.