Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:54 pm

Asking for a friend of mine:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting - HND.
  • The airline on which you are arriving - NH.
  • The airline on which you are departing - StarFlyer (NH codeshare)
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes - 1h 35 minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom) - International to Domestic
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets - separately booked

My friend will be arriving on an 8PM flight from MNL on NH; she wants to get to KIX the same night she arrives and the option with the longest transit time I've found is a 9:30PM NH codeshare. Tickets would be separately booked. Is this doable?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by leops1984
My friend will be arriving on an 8PM flight from MNL on NH; she wants to get to KIX the same night she arrives and the option with the longest transit time I've found is a 9:30PM NH codeshare. Tickets would be separately booked. Is this doable?
If her incoming flight arrives on time, and she's flying with hand luggage only, I would say it's possible but it's very tight.

To reach the Star Flyer check-in desks 30 minutes before her flight to KIX, she would have one hour to deplane, get through immigration and customs, catch the inter-terminal shuttle bus and make her way through the domestic terminal (Terminal 2). There isn't much room for error in there.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Arriving at 4:35 pm on UA flight to NRT. It was $600 cheaper to book to NRT rather than KIX. I would like to stay in Osaka at the Hilton for a few days since I have points for a free stay rather than Kyoto where I plan to visit for 2 to 3 days.

ANA has some good prices if flying on a Star Alliance flight, but it looks like the last flight of the day leaves about 5:00 pm.

Would you recommend that I stay close to the airport and fly out in the morning or take the train? Any other options?

Originally Posted by jib71
Take the train. (Narita Express to Shinagawa. Then Shinkansen to Shin Osaka. And then local train to Osaka).
You'll get to the Osaka Hilton by 10:30 ~ 11:00pm
Appreciate the advice. I decided to take the train, but want to do it in the morning. Think I will be tired after 24 hours with little sleep.

So next question - should I go into the city and stay somewhere close to the train station instead of staying at the Hilton at the airport? is there a Hilton close to Shinagawa? Have lots of Hilton points so I can stay for free.

Is it worth it to get a JR pass? I would use it to go back and forth to Osaka and from Osaka to Kyoto and maybe Nara. Can I use the pass for these destinations?

Thanks so much!!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by JackieC2
is there a Hilton close to Shinagawa? Have lots of Hilton points so I can stay for free.
No. But I think it's better to stay in the city than at the airport - There are hotels at all price ranges around Tokyo Station and Shinagawa Station. You could find somewhere really cheap or spend a bit more for a higher grade.

You could start a thread in the general forum if you want advice on hotels. This is no longer a discussion about connections.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Hi, do I have enough time to connect at NRT? I am flying the following itinerary. I have no checked bags.

BKK-NRT on TG676, scheduled to arrive at 1545
NRT-ORD on NH1012, scheduled to depart at 1710

Thanks!

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 18, 2015 at 7:15 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:12 am

Programs: OnePass Silver; SPG
Hi all -

I'm not sure if this has been covered elsewhere.. we will need to connect from HND to NRT on the following flights, and wonder if there should be sufficient time? I just read somewhere that 4 hours should be ok but i am not sure if there would be traffics in the morning...

NH 840 00:50 HKG -> 05:55 HND
NH 012 10:45 NRT -> 08:25 ORD

Any thoughts?

Thanks~~
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by agp423
Hi, do I have enough time to connect at NRT? I am flying the following itinerary. I have no checked bags.

Thanks!
Should be ok, as not entering Japan.

Originally Posted by olilili
Hi all -

I'm not sure if this has been covered elsewhere.. we will need to connect from HND to NRT on the following flights, and wonder if there should be sufficient time? I just read somewhere that 4 hours should be ok but i am not sure if there would be traffics in the morning...

NH 840 00:50 HKG -> 05:55 HND
NH 012 10:45 NRT -> 08:25 ORD

Any thoughts?

Thanks~~
Should be ok, super early arrival helps. Further commentary about this itinerary withheld
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:30 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine will have a ~3-hour layover in T1, and I'll have a 6-hour layover in T2 next month. Neither of us has airline status these days. Does anyone think that I'd be able to meet him in T1, given the time constraints?

We'll already have received BPs for the subsequent (international) flights too, and coordinating a meeting place will be relatively simple given the free wifi in both terminals.

Thanks,
BmB
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hi everyone,

A friend of mine will have a ~3-hour layover in T1, and I'll have a 6-hour layover in T2 next month. Neither of us has airline status these days. Does anyone think that I'd be able to meet him in T1, given the time constraints?

We'll already have received BPs for the subsequent (international) flights too, and coordinating a meeting place will be relatively simple given the free wifi in both terminals.

Thanks,
BmB
Only landside. (assuming you're talking about NRT)
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
+1 - and FYI assuming you are both coming in on international flights that means you both will need to go through customs and immigration to meet landside. For most folks that's not an issue but some nationalities might need a visa... T1 Starbucks is a good place to meet...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
T1 Starbucks is a good place to meet...
There are at least two Starbucks in T1. The one in the basement is easy to find but is very small. There are many cafes and restaurants including Starbucks on the departure level (4F) and on the floor above (5F) with more space which are more pleasant.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/shop...arch_rest.html
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:59 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - and FYI assuming you are both coming in on international flights that means you both will need to go through customs and immigration to meet landside. For most folks that's not an issue but some nationalities might need a visa... T1 Starbucks is a good place to meet...
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
There are at least two Starbucks in T1. The one in the basement is easy to find but is very small. There are many cafes and restaurants including Starbucks on the departure level (4F) and on the floor above (5F) with more space which are more pleasant.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/shop...arch_rest.html
Thanks for your replies.

Right...NRT. Been plenty of times, but I never had the opportunity to meet a buddy there.

Think we'll have at most 1-1.5 hours (international arrival; but both flights landing around 1pm)? Afterwards, I'd like to try to get to a couple of the downtown Narita konbini to buy some souvenirs.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by agp423

Thanks!
Since this is an international-to-international connection on airlines that both leave from Terminal 1, you should have plenty of time.

You don't have to go through immigration for this transfer. After getting off the plane, you just have to walk for what seems like miles, and at one point, there's a place where the transit passengers separate from the passengers who will be staying in Japan. The transit passengers have to go through security again, but security at NRT is fast and efficient, so as long as your first flight is on time, you should make it. If your TG flight is late, then all bets are off, but I have found NH to be very understanding and helpful in these kinds of mixups.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Apologies in advance for the silly question. I am flying HNL-NRT on UA, and leaving a couple hours later NRT-ORD on AA. Do I need to clear immigration/customs, or can I stay airside and just go through security? THANKS VERY MUCH!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Apologies in advance for the silly question. I am flying HNL-NRT on UA, and leaving a couple hours later NRT-ORD on AA. Do I need to clear immigration/customs, or can I stay airside and just go through security? THANKS VERY MUCH!
You can stay airside - but you will have to switch terminals. This happened to a friend last week. You will clear security and then catch a shuttle bus to the other terminal to catch your AA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.