Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
I'll be arriving NH1011 ORD-NRT at 2010, connecting to TG661 HND-BKK at 0020, giving me 4:10 to exit immigration/customs, collect baggage, transfer airports, and recheck in. Will this be enough time? I see the last LimoBus is at 2125 - what are the odds of making this (or should I plan on taking the train)?

TIA
Old Oct 18, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by dinosims
I'll be arriving NH1011 ORD-NRT at 2010, connecting to TG661 HND-BKK at 0020, giving me 4:10 to exit immigration/customs, collect baggage, transfer airports, and recheck in. Will this be enough time? I see the last LimoBus is at 2125 - what are the odds of making this (or should I plan on taking the train)?

TIA
Assuming your incoming flight arrives on time, you should make it through immigration and customs in under 30 minutes. (If it takes more than 45 minutes you're rather unlucky). So you can make it onto the 21:25 limo bus to HND.

If your incoming flight is significantly delayed, there are train options:

NARITA EXPRESS ROUTE
21:44 - Narita Express to Shinagawa (arr. 22:45). Then exit to Keikyu station
22:58 - Keikyu Airport express to HND Int'l Terminal (arr. 23:16)

KEISEI SKYLINER ROUTE
22:30 - Keisei Skyliner to Nippori (arr. 23:09). Then transfer to JR Yamanote
23:15 - Yamanote Line to Shinagawa (arr. 23:38). Then run to Keikyu station
23:42 - Keikyu Airport Express to HND Int'l Terminal (arr. 00;02)
(Yes. That's a four minute transfer from JR Shinagawa station to Keikyu station).

Rule of thumb if you arrive late -
1. Ask the airline if they'll help you with that connection
2. Failing that, first try to get to Shinagawa to catch Keikyu airport express.
3. If you're at Shinagawa but miss the last Keikyu Airport Express, take a taxi or catch a train to Keikyu Kamata and get a taxi from there.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:29 am

NRT/NRT
Int/Int
Single ticket - return
IAH-NRT UA
NRT-CGK ANA

I'll be traveling with my 4yo & infant (around 2mo) in 3 months, with the above itinerary.
Upon checking my ticket online yesterday I relized that UA has changed its schedule and makes our layover time in NRT from 3hrs 55mins down to 2hrs 20mins. I'm travelling light with 1 backpack and 1 diaper bag, and hoping our stroller w/ infant carseat attached will come out at the gate when we connecting. I hope we have more than enough time for this connection?

The return will be bit tricky, though that time i will have my spouse with me.
Again, UA changed its flight time so instead of 3hrs 10mins, we will only have 1hrs 15mins for this connection. And we book seat on the back of the plane.
Considering we have to wait to get off the plane, waiting for our stroller, then walk through security etc, Do you think this connection doable with our condition? Should we move our seat further front? What will happened if the first flight delayed?
Anybody has experience with these airlines and this very short connection time?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Squallrine
NRT/NRT
Int/Int
Single ticket - return
IAH-NRT UA
NRT-CGK ANA

I'll be traveling with my 4yo & infant (around 2mo) in 3 months, with the above itinerary.
Upon checking my ticket online yesterday I relized that UA has changed its schedule and makes our layover time in NRT from 3hrs 55mins down to 2hrs 20mins. I'm travelling light with 1 backpack and 1 diaper bag, and hoping our stroller w/ infant carseat attached will come out at the gate when we connecting. I hope we have more than enough time for this connection?

The return will be bit tricky, though that time i will have my spouse with me.
Again, UA changed its flight time so instead of 3hrs 10mins, we will only have 1hrs 15mins for this connection. And we book seat on the back of the plane.
Considering we have to wait to get off the plane, waiting for our stroller, then walk through security etc, Do you think this connection doable with our condition? Should we move our seat further front? What will happened if the first flight delayed?
Anybody has experience with these airlines and this very short connection time?
Squallrine, I don't have have any personal experience, but I have the same 75 minutes connection on my return trip in 3 weeks. I'll be traveling with 3yo.

In the below thread that I started about this short connection, the posters there assured me that 75 min connection is doable and explained what would happen if I miss the connection. Very helpful information.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...a-itl-itl.html
Old Nov 30, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k
ORD-NRT-CGK

I have a similar itinerary to the poster above, but worse due to the change in airlines:

UA 881 ORD-NRT, arriving 4:30 PM
JL 729 NRT-CGK, departing 6:50 PM

How much time will it take to claim luggage from UA, navigate to JL's terminal, and re-check luggage there? I'm sure 2 hours is more than enough, but deck is stacked against us as far as arriving on time (UA + ORD in winter).
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ordbkk
I have a similar itinerary to the poster above, but worse due to the change in airlines:

How much time will it take to claim luggage from UA, navigate to JL's terminal, and re-check luggage there? I'm sure 2 hours is more than enough, but deck is stacked against us as far as arriving on time (UA + ORD in winter).
Does this involve a change from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 at NRT? If so, allow plenty of time as the buses between terminals aren't very frequent.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does this involve a change from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 at NRT? If so, allow plenty of time as the buses between terminals aren't very frequent.
It's hard to get gate information this far in advance, but it does appear these airlines operate at separate terminals. The NRT website says buses operate every 7 minutes and the trip takes 10. Not terrible, but further reduces the buffer we have for a late flight.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ordbkk

United operates at Terminal 1 South at NRT, where Japan Airlines operates at Terminal 2 at NRT. You will arrive at Terminal 1 South and take a transfer bus to Terminal 2. Once at arrival at NRT out of the aircraft follow a sign for connection passengers and once you show your connecting information to Japan Airlines you will be directed to a transfer bus to Terminal 2.

You do need to go through security screening again at NRT, but your bags should be checked all the way to Jakarta at Chicago OHare. You will not collect your checked baggage at NRT. However, if you have two separate tickets ORD-NRT and NRT-CGK then some airlines have different baggage policies. You want to check with UA (the airline checking your baggage at ORD) regarding that. I am AA/OneWorld person so I am not that familiar with UA/Star Alliance situations.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Thinking of booking BKK-KIX-HND on TG and NH on the same ticket, but the connecting time is rather tight at 1:45.

I heard immigration queues are long at around 6:30am and with TG usually docking at a gate that requires a train ride, I'm worried 1hr 45mins won't be enough.

Is this doable? How many minutes before departure do the ANA check in counters close? We'll need to recheck our bags after customs.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:55 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I've got a 5 hour CX to JL connection coming up. All on one ticket and I assume all in T2. However, I can get in the KE lounge in T1, but I have no kind of lounge access whatsoever in T2. 5 hours is kind of a long time to be sitting around and leaves me with allot of time to waste on nonproductive endeavors. I am very familiar with both terminals at NRT but it's been a good 5 years or more since I actually did an inter-terminal transfer. I seem to recall that a simple printout of a itinerary showing a departure from the other terminal is good enough to make the bus driver happy, and an actual boarding pass for a departure from the other terminal is not mandatory just to get on the bus since said boarding pass might need to be obtained from another airlines transfer desk at the other terminal therefore it is 'plausible' I might need to transfer terminals without a boarding pass in my possession indicating that. So would having simply a printed itinerary showing, say, a UA flight, and no boarding pass to back it up, get me on the bus to T1? Getting back to T2 would obviously be no problem since I will have a JL boarding pass.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I'm pretty sure that would do the trick.
With five hours, you could also opt to go landside, which would provide a change of scenery.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
ANA cx question, HND-NRT

I have a question to the more experienced folks (and my apologies if this was posted already, I couldn't find anything...)

I am landing at HND at 7:41am ( coming from KIX), and have a flight at 11am out of NRT, all on the same pnr.... should I worry? and what happens if I miss it? will they try to book me on the later flight (to JFK, my booking is in C)?

Or will they make me wait until the next morning flight? - Date is January 1st. TIA!^
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by cl.lurker
I am landing at HND at 7:41am ( coming from KIX), and have a flight at 11am out of NRT, all on the same pnr.... should I worry?
No. That's an entirely doable connection, especially early in the morning of January 1st, which is the quietest day of the year in Japan.

and what happens if I miss it? will they try to book me on the later flight (to JFK, my booking is in C)?
Since it's a single PNR and you're in biz, I'm sure they'll try, but no guarantees that you can make it. This may also depend on why you're late and just how late you are.

All that said, KIX-HND-NRT-somewhere sounds like a deeply sub-optimal way to get anywhere. Are you sure you can't fly directly out of KIX, out of HND, ITM-NRT, anything...? (I was going to suggest KIX-NRT, but apparently only LCCs fly that anymore.)
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by jpatokal
No. That's an entirely doable connection, especially early in the morning of January 1st, which is the quietest day of the year in Japan.

Since it's a single PNR and you're in biz, I'm sure they'll try, but no guarantees that you can make it. This may also depend on why you're late and just how late you are.

All that said, KIX-HND-NRT-somewhere sounds like a deeply sub-optimal way to get anywhere. Are you sure you can't fly directly out of KIX, out of HND, ITM-NRT, anything...? (I was going to suggest KIX-NRT, but apparently only LCCs fly that anymore.)

Many thanks! ^I did this cx once, but can't remember how long it took me.... I agree it's not optimal, but it's what was available when I booked it (it's an award ticket, and I really wanted to fly ANA and avoid UA or AC...)
Old Dec 21, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
arrive HND 5:35 am.
depart NRT 11 am.

Will be taking "the" bus I imagine (yet to research, but seems common).

Q: I'm pretty sure I don't need a visa or any sort of document beyond my US passport and boarding pass for this 6-ish hour transit which involves taking a bus, but just want to double check.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.