Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by evergrn
Based on mnbp's link, you'll really need to catch the 5.10pm Limo bus from NRT-T1 (assuming you're arriving at T1, although I could be assuming wrong). If you have bags, assuming your flight is on time AND immigration queue is within normal range, you should be able to catch the 5.10pm bus. The Limo bus will almost always arrive early or on time in my experience.
I believe the OP will be arriving in T2 on JAL.

For the OP, what cabin are you in for this ticket(s)?

No visa is required for US passport and you're clear immigration at NRT for a normal entry to Japan to reach HND, to answer your other question.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by JessicaTam
Thanks for the confirmation. Plan B (or C) coming up ...
Plan B - actually plan C is now to leave from HND at 0850. So three hours to get from one gate to the next - with a visit to a lounge or two in the middle if time permits.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:28 pm

Potential Options

Is this under a single booking? And will you have checked bags? Those are the key questions.
I appreciate both replys. Yes the reservation is all under one ticket, single booking. JAL. I will be carrying on luggage and will have nothing checked.

After doing some more research it does seem like a simple process to get on the bus, the only issue being variables outside my control (i.e. security, immigrations, traffic, etc.)

Worse case scenario, I do miss my connecting flight? What are my options?
Old May 11, 2017, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I believe the OP will be arriving in T2 on JAL.

For the OP, what cabin are you in for this ticket(s)?

No visa is required for US passport and you're clear immigration at NRT for a normal entry to Japan to reach HND, to answer your other question.
Economy, so there is deplaning time to factor. And yes in looking up my flight on Flightaware, it arrived in T2 (JAL).
Old May 11, 2017, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyinghigh93
Economy, so there is deplaning time to factor. And yes in looking up my flight on Flightaware, it arrived in T2 (JAL).
The reason I was asking was that the check-in limits are at T-60 for PE/Economy but T-45 for First/Business.

ETA: thinking about this some more, if you're on the same ticket, you'll be checked in all the way through at SIN, should get your HND BP there, maybe tag your bags all the way through(?) even though you'd reclaim them at NRT, and that might help speed things up at HND? Otherwise, it's not much time from scheduled bus arrival to T-60.

Last edited by rustykettel; May 11, 2017 at 3:58 pm
Old May 11, 2017, 3:58 pm

The reason I was asking was that the check-in limits are at T-60 for PE/Economy but T-45 for First/Business.

Check in needs to be done physically at gate?
Old May 11, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by flyinghigh93
Check in needs to be done physically at gate?
Sorry! See edit above. Check in would be at the counter but you'd already be checked in at SIN if you're on a single ticket.
Old May 11, 2017, 4:38 pm

Sorry! See edit above. Check in would be at the counter but you'd already be checked in at SIN if you're on a single ticket.
Thanks! Baggage will be carry on, so hopefully that will save some time.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:37 pm

If it's all under single booking and you've only got carry-ons, then you could chance it. Since it's T2 arrival at NRT, you'll want to catch the 17.05pm Limo bus (which is scheduled to get you to HND at 18.40pm).

If your flight is more than 10-15min late or if the arrival immigration queue is long, you could miss the 17.05pm Limo bus. But then even if you take the next bus at 17.35pm, it might still get you to HND just in the nick of time for your connecting flight esp if Limo bus could get you there ahead of schedule. Make sure you keep JAL's ground staff informed.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:38 pm

Plan B - actually plan C is now to leave from HND at 0850. So three hours to get from one gate to the next - with a visit to a lounge or two in the middle if time permits.
That's much better!
Old May 12, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I couldn't tell from your post history or this thread, but is this an international-international connection? If not, there's also a terminal move to be made (still quite doable and much better than earlier NRT plan).
Old May 12, 2017, 8:42 pm

If it's all under single booking and you've only got carry-ons, then you could chance it. Since it's T2 arrival at NRT, you'll want to catch the 17.05pm Limo bus (which is scheduled to get you to HND at 18.40pm).

If your flight is more than 10-15min late or if the arrival immigration queue is long, you could miss the 17.05pm Limo bus. But then even if you take the next bus at 17.35pm, it might still get you to HND just in the nick of time for your connecting flight esp if Limo bus could get you there ahead of schedule. Make sure you keep JAL's ground staff informed.
Hopefully everything goes according to plan. Booking via JAL was messy and I completely missed the airport change. But being stuck in Tokyo, isn't the worst thing in the world.
Old May 13, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by angra
I couldn't tell from your post history or this thread, but is this an international-international connection? If not, there's also a terminal move to be made (still quite doable and much better than earlier NRT plan).
Yes it is int-int. SIN-HND (JL)//HND-HKG (NH)
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Short question: Arriving at HND at 7:15PM during a workweek, need to be at the gate by 11:30PM. Incoming from SFO, outgoing to SIN, all by JAL.

What are options and where to go airside? This is for my wife who hates rushing and running around. Staying at lounge is not an option - she does not have status with any airline. Staying at the airport could be also an option if there is something to do.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by invisible
Short question: Arriving at HND at 7:15PM during a workweek, need to be at the gate by 11:30PM. Incoming from SFO, outgoing to SIN, all by JAL.

What are options and where to go airside? This is for my wife who hates rushing and running around. Staying at lounge is not an option - she does not have status with any airline. Staying at the airport could be also an option if there is something to do.
There is a decent amount of food and shopping options airside. Nothing great or outstanding though. It is more cafés and snacks than actual restautants in my experience. Shopping is apart from Uniqlo (very small) and a couple of Japanese goods shops, fairly standard airport options. Sitting Down at a café somewhere with a book would be my main suggestion.

There is a lounge invite thread in the JAL forum that could also be an option.

If she does not need a visa to Japan, she can consider going through immigration and going to the Edo Market landside, there are some good food options. Sushi, tonkatsu and others. Though the lines reentering airside can be pretty long for the midnight departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.