Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
So you are right that you won't have access technically, although I suppose it never hurts to ask.
Likely a fruitless effort IMHO. I've seen the staff turn away *G at the entrance.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jib71
It seems you saw my post before I corrected it.
The land-side shower facilities at Terminal 1 are not free of charge but you can use them at a 50% discount (full price is 1,030 yen) if you are transferring from one international flight to another.
Ill happily pay the $10, let alone $5 to be able to shower and change effortlessly... Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:51 pm

Delete.

Last edited by evergrn; Sep 26, 2016 at 12:52 am Reason: Should ask on ua forum
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by evergrn
So you are right that you won't have access technically, although I suppose it never hurts to ask.
This is Japan, we are sticklers for rules. They are very very unlikely to make an exception for entry.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
This is Japan, we are sticklers for rules. They are very very unlikely to make an exception for entry.
you're definitely right.

But miracles do happen, even in Jpn. Last time my wife used UA Club at NRT with one-time pass, she said they let our kids in for half-price.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:28 am

You always have to collect your luggage when arriving in Japan, custom clearance is at your point of entry to Japan.

If you are running low on time, you can ask the people managing the queue nicely, but apart from crew and diplomatic lines, there are no fast track for immigration. As you are on separate PNR, NH will not be at the gate to meet you in case of a delay. But you can be lucky that someone else are.

1H 55M is tight but not impossible. I have never done the change of terminals.at Haneda, so I leave it to others to comment on that.
Thank you.

I've called ANA and asked them to put in a note on the reservation that I am flying in on SQ632 ETA 1605h. I am not sure if it will help at all, but never hurt to try.

Also, would it be possible to interline and check-in for the domestic segment in SIN. The ANA staff I've spoke to said it's not possible for me to check-in and obtain the boarding pass in SIN (and drop off the luggage at the check-in counter in HND), but I would like to hear from others if it is indeed the case. Not necessarily in SIN, but in any of your ports of origin, transferring to ANA domestic on a separate PNR.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SQ319
Thank you.

I've called ANA and asked them to put in a note on the reservation that I am flying in on SQ632 ETA 1605h. I am not sure if it will help at all, but never hurt to try.

Also, would it be possible to interline and check-in for the domestic segment in SIN. The ANA staff I've spoke to said it's not possible for me to check-in and obtain the boarding pass in SIN (and drop off the luggage at the check-in counter in HND), but I would like to hear from others if it is indeed the case. Not necessarily in SIN, but in any of your ports of origin, transferring to ANA domestic on a separate PNR.
SQ will not be able to print your boarding pass for the NH domestic flight.

The pure domestic bookings in Japan runs on a separate system, and the PNR is a four digit number. I doubt that SQ can check your luggage through to that.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:14 am

Int'l - Dom - Int'l

Due to short fused award travel, I have some confusing routing:

HNL - NRT (UA 903) Arr 2:55 PM (Int'l flight)
NRT - NGO (NH 337) Dep 6:10 PM (Domestic)
NGO - BKK (TG 647) Dep 12:30 AM (Int'l)

I will not be spending any time in Japan (other than transit time). It appears that I will have to go through Immigration / Customs at Narita (which isn't a problem) and then check in at the Domestic counter. What my concern is luggage. Will it be checked all the way through to BKK?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by hebsan
Will it be checked all the way through to BKK?
Interesting question.

I certainly have not flew route like that. My guess is that you have to collect your luggage at NRT as you go though customs at NRT, and re-check your luggage at domestic check-in at NRT where your luggage will be checked all the way to BKK.

My assumption is that NH 337 is domestic flight so the flight cannot carry international cargo or checked luggage which did not clear customs.

This will be my guess.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
My assumption is that NH 337 is domestic flight
Yes. That flight is available as a domestic flight from ANA website.

The NGO airport website describes Domestic to International transfer process on the following page. Passengers arriving on domestic flights must go landside (to domestic arrivals hall) and then go to the international departures floor and go airside again. It gives the OP an excuse to visit the airport onsen, I guess:
http://www.centrair.jp/en/passenger_...rnational.html

The NGO website mentions picking up luggage and re-checking it (see link above), which probably applies if you fly on some low cost airline that doesn't interline luggage, but I imagine that ANA would allow the OP to check luggage at NRT all the way through to BKK.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
At domestic connection NRT it will be like any other domestic to international transfer flight, when you check in your bags it will be checked strait to BKK (no need to recover them at NGO). However you will need to go through exit immigration at NGO.

(for the HNL-NRT portion, you'll need to collect bags at NRT for Customs inspection as noted).
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
My guess is that you have to collect your luggage at NRT as you go though customs at NRT, and re-check your luggage at domestic check-in at NRT where your luggage will be checked all the way to BKK.
99% sure this is correct. Father-in-law did HND-KIX-(stop somewhere)-Jo'burg, single ticket. At HND, they checked his bag all the way to Jo'burg.

As others have noted, at NRT I can't imagine that you'll be exempt from customs check on your bags, since you and your bags are entering Jpn and then boarding a domestic flight. But intl to domestic-NH transfer at NRT on a single ticket is easy-peasy, as long as the passport control queue is not too bad.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hebsan
Due to short fused award travel, I have some confusing routing:

HNL - NRT (UA 903) Arr 2:55 PM (Int'l flight)
NRT - NGO (NH 337) Dep 6:10 PM (Domestic)
NGO - BKK (TG 647) Dep 12:30 AM (Int'l)

I will not be spending any time in Japan (other than transit time). It appears that I will have to go through Immigration / Customs at Narita (which isn't a problem) and then check in at the Domestic counter. What my concern is luggage. Will it be checked all the way through to BKK?
As you are on one ticket I am sure that your baggage tag will state your flights all the way to Bangkok. However, you always have to collect your bags at the first entry point in to Japan, go through customs, and then recheck your bags Again at the domestic counter. In Narita the domestic check in is very close to the arrivals exit.

Once you check your bags at the domestic counter in Narita, it will be transferred automatically to your internations flight at Nagoya.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
As you are on one ticket I am sure that your baggage tag will state your flights all the way to Bangkok.
Even if it is tagged all the way from HNL to BKK, domestic check-in at NRT will most likely rip it out and attach a new one anyway.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
Yes. That flight is available as a domestic flight from ANA website.

The NGO airport website describes Domestic to International transfer process on the following page. Passengers arriving on domestic flights must go landside (to domestic arrivals hall) and then go to the international departures floor and go airside again. It gives the OP an excuse to visit the airport onsen, I guess:
http://www.centrair.jp/en/passenger_...rnational.html

The NGO website mentions picking up luggage and re-checking it (see link above), which probably applies if you fly on some low cost airline that doesn't interline luggage, but I imagine that ANA would allow the OP to check luggage at NRT all the way through to BKK.
Thanks for the info. I may have to check out that onsen to relax after a long flight and to break up the layover before heading to Bangkok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.